Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the invite this morning and called to schedule my drive. The website link in the email just too me to the Rivian site, but didn’t seem to work. It took only several minutes to schedule on the phone and they had slots as soon as 3/18.

I’m going on 3/25, so I’ll report back then.

Anyone else get the invite??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
These are listed with the ‘new’ prices that have not yet been adjusted.

R1T with:
Adventure Package$73,000
  • Quad-Motor AWD $6,000
  • Large pack $6,000
  • Rivian Blue $2,500
  • 22" Sport Bright wheels $2,500
Interior Ocean Coast $2,000
Adventure Gear
  • Reinforced Underbody Shield $2,000
  • Tow Hooks Included
  • Full-size spare $900
  • All-Weather Floor Mats $200
  • Off-Road Recovery Kit $600
  • Field Kit $150
  • Cargo Crossbars $500
  • Rooftop Bike Mount (2) 2 X $270
  • Wall Charger $750

Also have an R1S on order:
    • Adventure Package $78,000
    • Quad-Motor AWD $6,000
    • Large pack $6,000
    • Compass Yellow $2,500
    • 22" Sport Dark wheels $3,500
  • Interior
    • Black Mountain Included
  • Adventure Gear
    • Reinforced Underbody Shield $2,000
    • Tow Hooks Included
    • Compact spare tire $550
    • All-Weather Floor Mats $225
    • Field Kit $150
    • Cargo Crossbars $500
    • Snowboard/Ski Mount $340
    • Wall Charger $750
  • Estimated Price $100,515 😆

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thanks to Kevin over at Rivian Venice for the hour long First Drive. I have to say right off that it exceeded my expectations. We will definitely be keeping our R1T and R1S reservations with anticipation of their delivery.

I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3 for short), so that will be my comparison.
I'll start with the interior:
Obviously the ride height is taller and gives a nice view from above. I didn't feel like there were any blind spots of concern and it actually felt much less exposed than the M3. The Rivian felt very safe and protective because of the size and weight. The interior details (which I had seen before) are incredibly well thought out and it is obvious that they have paid attention to every aspect. There were no corners cut here, actually one could say quite the opposite with all the little design touches. The materials felt good and of high quality. While not leather, the seats were great and very comfortable (for me at 6'1 210lbs). Chuck found that the design of the rear seats combined with the more upright position felt like it pressed on his shoulder blades in a way that was not terrible comfortable (he's 5'9 160lbs), however he found the front seats very comfortable once the position was adjusted. The screens were bright and easy to use, however the steering wheel does block some of the display if front of the driver. Guess that's why the Yoke (but I'm still not ready for that).

I like that the Gear Shift controls are in similar fashion to the Tesla. Also, the steering wheel controls are similar for adjusting the wheel and mirrors, audio and autopilot. I think more EV makers should work on making these a standard for ease of use.

As for the drive: The first thing that was obvious was that Rivian has included much stronger Regenerative Braking (in Strong and even Standard), which I really appreciate in a vehicle this heavy. Also, they have much more audible and haptic feedback. This is noticeable when it is is Auto Brake Hold mode and also when driving and accelerating. I like this as it is a nice change from total silence (except road noise). Speaking of, we thought the road noise was minimal, especially in the front where the windows are double pane, slightly more in the back, and that was with the Audio off.

I really appreciate the Air Suspension and the various drive modes. This is something I really miss having on the M3. the ride feels like you are floating over the bumps and potholes (of which there are many in LA), but at the same time, it feels tight enough that it's not loose or sloppy (as we found the Range Rover to be). Acceleration is very controllable. I found it easy to drive through the city and punch it getting onto the freeway. I didn't even floor it and the acceleration was very fast. Chuck on the other hand punched it and it took my breath away just like in the M3. This is one very capable vehicle. I will not hesitate to give up my M3 for this!

One more note is that the R1T's mass and weight feels very solid and yet we always felt in control. Chuck described it as similar to driving a Rolls Royce, a vehicle that is massively heavy but moves on a dime when you punch it. He said he that is the only thing he could compare it to and that's quite a compliment.

There are several features that I'm happy to see on the R1T that are not on the Tesla. These include the Blind Spot Indicators in the Mirrors, Rear Cross Traffic Alerts, Air Suspension (as previously mentioned), Heated Steering Wheel, Heated AND Vented Seats, to name a few.

So, I can see that Rivian has a little catching up to do when it comes to the Autopilot assist, when compared to the M3's standard Autopilot (not FSD). It seems the Rivian will only do Lane Keep Assist on 3D Mapped Roads such as Freeways and Highways, but not on regular streets. It will do the other parts of the Autopilot, such as Auto Distance, Speed and Braking on those roads. As long as it works on the Freeways, I'll be fine with that as that is where I mainly use it. I'm sure in time this will improve too.

Overall, we left feeling like Rivian has done an amazing job of creating a great vehicle that is worthy of it's price, even at the new rates. Can't wait to get our R1T and R1S!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.