Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
After the rains, it was a beautiful day. So my wife and I drove from Ventura down to Venice along PCH and the coastline to visit the Rivian Hub (showroom).
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

I was given an indepth tour of the interior of the vehicle including the software/display. Impressive.
The green interior is a lot lighter than any picture I have seen and looks great. But we are staying with the Ocean which is a light gray.

As an overlander (I have a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon), I wanted to see the off-road wheels and rocker panel (rock slides). As I posted before, my concern was the rims are too large (20" smallest option). They had a vehicle with the off-road tires. Not a lot of sidewall between the rim edge and the tread of the tire. The tires are 275 65 /20 so it's a 33 inches tire. The brake calibres are large but there is a couple of inches between it and the inside of the rims. So a 18" tire may fit but it's close.
Since EV fan boys (I watch a lot of them) which did the Colorado press off-road marketing event, didn't know what to really look for off-roadingwise, I was interested in the rocker panel for rock slider protection. The panel is plastic with metal underneath. Like most new vehicles front bumpers. I was concerned but the Rivian rep. told me to watch the Motor Trend YouTube parts on Colorado and Utah. I told him the Vlog was 95 % about the reviewers and 5% about the R1T. And we both agreed that they should have had TFL reviewing the R1T. Anyway, on the Black Bear trail portion of the Colorado segment, the Motor Trend drive didn't do a three point turn on one of the switchbacks. And hit and pivoted on the rock/dirt inside corner on the white truck. I looked for images later in the of that rock panel area (passenger side below rear door) and found some and I could not find any scratches or dents. Impressed me but don't know what would it look like if you slide or fall sideways into a rock with the full weight of the vehicle.

Two other areas I didn't like was the automatic bed cover. Its flimsy and the tracks look like a great place for debris to get trapped in off-roading.
Also the trim on the railing of the bed pull-up on the rear portion. Not secured good enough.

Still getting the R1T and think overall a well engineered EV truck. There is a lot to like in this truck but not the focus of this post.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Every demo truck reviewer was told the automatic bed cover was non-operational at the time of the review. So, yes... likely they are having issues with it.

I would generally keep mine covered 100% of the time for aerodynamics and to prevent leaves and debris accumulating in the bed. I have also found people like to throw their garbage into open pickup beds... so another reason to keep it covered until needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every demo truck reviewer was told the automatic bed cover was non-operational at the time of the review. So, yes... likely they are having issues with it.

I would generally keep mine covered 100% of the time for aerodynamics and to prevent leaves and debris accumulating in the bed. I have also found people like to throw their garbage into open pickup beds... so another reason to keep it covered until needed.
it was operational but I wish it was sturdier.

·
Registered
839 Posts
After the rains, it was a beautiful day. So my wife and I drove from Ventura down to Venice along PCH and the coastline to visit the Rivian Hub (showroom).
View attachment 3582
I was given an indepth tour of the interior of the vehicle including the software/display. Impressive.
The green interior is a lot lighter than any picture I have seen and looks great. But we are staying with the Ocean which is a light gray.

As an overlander (I have a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon), I wanted to see the off-road wheels and rocker panel (rock slides). As I posted before, my concern was the rims are too large (20" smallest option). They had a vehicle with the off-road tires. Not a lot of sidewall between the rim edge and the tread of the tire. The tires are 275 65 /20 so it's a 33 inches tire. The brake calibres are large but there is a couple of inches between it and the inside of the rims. So a 18" tire may fit but it's close.
Since EV fan boys (I watch a lot of them) which did the Colorado press off-road marketing event, didn't know what to really look for off-roadingwise, I was interested in the rocker panel for rock slider protection. The panel is plastic with metal underneath. Like most new vehicles front bumpers. I was concerned but the Rivian rep. told me to watch the Motor Trend YouTube parts on Colorado and Utah. I told him the Vlog was 95 % about the reviewers and 5% about the R1T. And we both agreed that they should have had TFL reviewing the R1T. Anyway, on the Black Bear trail portion of the Colorado segment, the Motor Trend drive didn't do a three point turn on one of the switchbacks. And hit and pivoted on the rock/dirt inside corner on the white truck. I looked for images later in the of that rock panel area (passenger side below rear door) and found some and I could not find any scratches or dents. Impressed me but don't know what would it look like if you slide or fall sideways into a rock with the full weight of the vehicle.

Two other areas I didn't like was the automatic bed cover. Its flimsy and the tracks look like a great place for debris to get trapped in off-roading.
Also the trim on the railing of the bed pull-up on the rear portion. Not secured good enough.

Still getting the R1T and think overall a well engineered EV truck. There is a lot to like in this truck but not the focus of this post.
Thanks for sharing this @baddad53! Overall from what you were able to get your hands on how did the build quality feel to you? For example I know you mentioned the bed cover is flimsy but is that because of the material it's made of or how it's put on the bed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts