Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just put our order down for the R1S but I'm wondering if anyone else is considering the Volvo XC90 all electric (recharge) that is supposed to launch at the same time. I'm very new to this car comparison game so not sure how to compare the two. We are a family of 4 maybe eventually 5 and have a large dog. We are looking for that third row to carry grandparents when they visit and the dog and gear for long road trips. I'm guessing right now that Rivian's battery range will be longer and the car will be overall bigger. We are not replacing our current car but will be using the R1S or XC90 as our primary car. I have seen lots of comparison with Tesla for the 3 row option just wondering if anyone else is comparing these two.

What we really like about the Volvo is the dashboard while being modern still has buttons (my husband likes buttons) and android auto is the UI that Volvo has chosen to go with and we are android users.

The XC90 would have the be amazing to get me to switch because I love Rivian, but my other half isn't as sold yet.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I drive a Volvo currently, and I love it. They're extremely comfortable, and consistently among the safest vehicles you can drive.

My wife and I looked at the XC40 Recharge and mostly liked it. However, Volvo's approach to BEVs is very much as a traditional "ICE" manufacturer. There is no "frunk" or other clever packaging. They took an ICE platform and retrofit BEV components in just the way you'd expect a traditional ICE manufacturer to do so. Range is mediocre, as well.

I wish Volvo would have designed an electric SUV from the ground up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive a Volvo currently, and I love it. They're extremely comfortable, and consistently among the safest vehicles you can drive.

My wife and I looked at the XC40 Recharge and mostly liked it. However, Volvo's approach to BEVs is very much as a traditional "ICE" manufacturer. There is no "frunk" or other clever packaging. They took an ICE platform and retrofit BEV components in just the way you'd expect a traditional ICE manufacturer to do so. Range is mediocre, as well.

I wish Volvo would have designed an electric SUV from the ground up.
Thanks! No Frunk in the XC90 would definitely be a con. It's one of the major appeals for the 7 seater for me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks like they're banking on their Polestar brand, so far, to do that.
Yes, but like boneheads they've been focusing their first two models on sedans -- the form factor that most consumers don't want. I don't know why they wouldn't focus on a SUV -- something consumers actually demand, and a form factor that tends to be more profitable, anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, but like boneheads they've been focusing their first two models on sedans -- the form factor that most consumers don't want. I don't know why they wouldn't focus on a SUV -- something consumers actually demand, and a form factor that tends to be more profitable, anyway.
This is so true. We are going to go all electric for our next vehicle and we need something bigger for our family and we don't want a Tesla. I was so excited when I found Rivian. The R1S is going to be amazing and hopefully show how much is needed in this space. We also need something sooner. My husband wants to wait longer but our CRV is quickly going to be out grown with the addition of a puppy this spring. Road trips would be near impossible next year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perhaps because they're focused on markets outside of North America, that aren't as SUV happy.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Perhaps because they're focused on markets outside of North America, that aren't as SUV happy.
Possibly... It seems China is Volvo's largest market; however, I think they're SUV-crazy, as well. USA seems to be Volvo's second-largest market, by a wide margin. In fact, China and USA account for nearly 50% of Volvo's global sales.

So their top two markets, accounting for nearly 50% of their total vehicle sales want SUVs... But sure, let's prioritize what the little guys want.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm willing to bet Volvo spends more than a few minutes googling in order to make their product decisions, but if that's our metric, here's a google result showing China sells more Sedans than SUVs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Every time I rent a car in Europe I'm a little shocked at how small the car I reserved looks in person. Then I start driving through European cities and towns and thank god the car isn't an inch bigger in any direction. On a recent trip to the UK I had reserved an automatic sedan and they had none so upgraded me to a Land Rover. Fine on the motorways, a pain to park in smaller towns.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Anyone want to guess what Volvo will name this all-electric SUV? It won't wear XC90
This is all they will say about it for now:

“This car will have a name, more like a [newborn] child.”

“Calling that just a new XC90 would be wrong because this is the really a first of its kind.”

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Anyone want to guess what Volvo will name this all-electric SUV? It won't wear XC90
This is all they will say about it for now:

“This car will have a name, more like a [newborn] child.”

“Calling that just a new XC90 would be wrong because this is the really a first of its kind.”
If I had to guess it's going to have a similar number system as all their other cars. But if they're saying this is "really a first of its kind" then maybe they might break away from that.

Whatever they're calling it, it's going to be loaded with tech.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If I had to guess it's going to have a similar number system as all their other cars. But if they're saying this is "really a first of its kind" then maybe they might break away from that.

Whatever they're calling it, it's going to be loaded with tech.

A naming scheme for EVs with actual names over letters and numbers would be great but its odd with the current names being so familiar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts