Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my Launch Edition Black/Black a week ago and I am having a terrific time with my 10 year old grandson ( who is the official expert on Rivian).... he has read the entire manual._I have tried to get my wall charger installed efficiently on a pedestal just outside of one of my garages. I started the process with Rivians vendor QMerit. The quoted $4200 to install a 60 amp breaker ( in a 200 amp panel that already exists) and about 25 feet of 4A wire. Seems like a bit of a press by their subcontractor. I am located just outside of Dallas and I believe I am the first Rivian in Rockwall County so no one has any experience installing this particular wall charger. There are lots of Tesla's so it cannot be much different. Can anyone tell me what they were charged for a similar install so I might estimate what is fair.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would definitely get some other estimates. What you are describing seems like 1k max unless there is something we are missing. As a reference, in southern CA I upgraded my panel from 100 amp to 200 amp, all new panel, breakers, and permits and it was 2500.

I would suggest you send this quote to Rivian with the other ones if they are that much less as most of us suspect. You are not the first person with a very high quote from them on these forums. Rivian may want to stop partnering with them if this is a common example.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Took delivery of my Launch Edition Black/Black a week ago and I am having a terrific time with my 10 year old grandson ( who is the official expert on Rivian).... he has read the entire manual._I have tried to get my wall charger installed efficiently on a pedestal just outside of one of my garages. I started the process with Rivians vendor QMerit. The quoted $4200 to install a 60 amp breaker ( in a 200 amp panel that already exists) and about 25 feet of 4A wire. Seems like a bit of a press by their subcontractor. I am located just outside of Dallas and I believe I am the first Rivian in Rockwall County so no one has any experience installing this particular wall charger. There are lots of Tesla's so it cannot be much different. Can anyone tell me what they were charged for a similar install so I might estimate what is fair.
Someone will need to do an inflation adjustment calculator, back in 2016 I paid $1000 to run about 150' with a 100A breaker in the main panel, install a new 100A sub panel in the garage, install a 60A breaker in the new sub panel, run ~30' of conduit from new sub panel to my Tesla HPWC. That included the cost of permits.

Several months later I decided to install my own NEMA-14-50 to the panel. It cost me less than $100. I then called the electrician up and asked how much to check my work and get permits - $150. I asked him how much to add a HPWC? $350. So it was a $500 total to install the 2nd HPWC, check my work on the NEMA 14-50 and get permits to cover both. Much less than I was expecting. He would've charged me $250 to install the NEMA 14-50 if I hadn't done it myself.

That said, I believe the cost of cable/materials has increased at least 3x since I had mine installed, but you're also only running 25 feet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Figure about $200 for the breaker, cable, any conduit, etc. (depending on length...if you have a long run wire is expensive these days)
And then $75-$100/hour for their time.
All depends on how much of a pain in the neck running that cable will be. But that's not really "electrical" work, you can do that part yourself certainly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just ball parking materials probably looking at ~800-$1000. I can’t imagine it would take an electrician more then 2-3 hours. I would think more like ~$1500-2000? Depending on how much goes into getting it outside. I would guess the electrician in question didn’t want to do the job and lobbed a “motivating” quote out there.

I’d look at Tesla authorized (as they will have more experience with EV connectors) electricians and get a few quotes.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
275 Posts
I paid 2k 6 months to get a 50AMP circuit installed. this included relocating about 4 circuits to a sub-panel (already installed) and pulling 50" through sheetrock enclosed areas.

I was happy with that price because it was a lot of work, 1 full day for 2 guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats on the R1. Sounds like a beautiful set-up! It's so nice to hear you sharing these memories with your grandson. Some of my best memories are of my grandfather. Call Kevin (682-352-8064). Very honest electrician. Btw-I'm in Dallas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ball parking materials probably looking at ~800-$1000. I can’t imagine it would take an electrician more then 2-3 hours. I would think more like ~$1500-2000? Depending on how much goes into getting it outside. I would guess the electrician in question didn’t want to do the job and lobbed a “motivating” quote out there.

I’d look at Tesla authorized (as they will have more experience with EV connectors) electricians and get a few quotes.
I Am sure you are right on the bid…

·
Registered
401 Posts
I Am sure you are right on the bid…
I’m dealing with a similar bid scenario with the back (south facing) of my house needing a re-paint. I’m on a mountain side, back of my house goes up to 70’ off the ground. Haven’t gotten a bid yet under $30k… I could take a 3 day weekend, rent a boom lift and sprayer and do it for <$3k.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Does anyone know if a GFCI breaker is required by code for a hardwired EVSE in a garage? I know it’s required for an outlet such as NEMA 14-50, but I’m seeing conflicting info on whether it’s required for hardwire install. Big difference in cost for the breaker - $15 for std breaker vs. over $100 for GFCI.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts