Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I read a similar article in the Times this morning. I kept looking for the stat of how many legacy vehicles were involved in accidents during the same time period. The article I read closed with the NTSB being quoted that the Tesla numbers were skewed since there are more of them on the road than other semi-autonomous vehicle. But no mention of the ratio of semi-autonomous vs legacy vehicle. While I believe Elon is correct (that the semi-autonomous is safer than legacy), it'd sure be nice to see an independent agency confirm those industry claims rather than attach the technology. Regardless of if Wamo, Tesla or someone else is first to solve the problem I think we can all agree industry is going to attempt to solve they issue from today thru the day it's solved. Autonomous driving vehicles can't be put back into the toothpaste tube. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
48 Posts
This story has an embedded report for those who wish to read it. NHTSA: Tesla accounts for almost 70% of Level 2 driver-assist crashes in the US, but don't draw conclusions yet
Also a couple of calls outs worth noting "The NHTSA noted that the data — which is the first of its kind — does not have proper context yet. It does not take into account the number of vehicles with Level 2 driver-assist systems that automakers have made, the number of cars on the road, or the distance traveled by the vehicles. It is thus only meant to be a guide to identify possible defect trends and help determine if advanced driver-assist systems are actually improving vehicle safety. "
and this note "Overall, the NHTSA’s data revealed that crashes involving driver-assist systems have resulted in at least six fatalities and five serious injuries. For context, the NHTSA has estimated that 42,915 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the United States in 2021."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts