Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure this needs to be addressed, but in the meanwhile...

If you fold your mirrors by pushing the button on the screen, then park very close to something on one side (presumably the right side, since you'd otherwise be unable to exit), the following occurs...

You lock the vehicle (or it locks itself when you walk away)
You come back to the vehicle and it automatically unlocks or you unlock it yourself
The mirrors unfold back to the normal position.

This is a programming thing they could fix..."If mirrors were last folded by override, then don't unfold them automatically when unlocking, else something gets broken".

· Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure this needs to be addressed, but in the meanwhile...

If you fold your mirrors by pushing the button on the screen, then park very close to something on one side (presumably the right side, since you'd otherwise be unable to exit), the following occurs...

You lock the vehicle (or it locks itself when you walk away)
You come back to the vehicle and it automatically unlocks or you unlock it yourself
The mirrors unfold back to the normal position.

This is a programming thing they could fix..."If mirrors were last folded by override, then don't unfold them automatically when unlocking, else something gets broken".

Do you realize you can turn off automatic folding and/or unfolding?

Font Number Screenshot

· Registered
362 Posts
Then the fix is that Rivian should have auto-unfold off by default. There are two kinds of people that buy new cars, the kind that go through every.single.menu.option upon taking delivery, and those that don’t. The defaults should be designed with the latter in mind IMHO. Especially the ones that could damage things.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the "Caution" part of the quoted manual excerpt above that is the kicker. Since the mirrors automatically unfold at 15 mph anyway, it would be nice if FOLD and UNFOLD were decoupled so that you could leave automatic folding activated while not automatically unfolding, or if the vehicle "remembered" that you had "manually" folded the mirrors.

I am generally in favor of having the mirrors folded when I am parked somewhere...it minimizes the chance that someone will hit one with a car door or snag it with their mirror while parking (I've had this happen on other vehicles), but I don't want to have to fool with doing it every time I park in public. If I routinely parked very close to a wall or shelf (narrow garage for instance) it would be a PITA to have to turn off automatic folding each time I parked there (particularly since it requires going to different screens to do so.)

· Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
10 Posts
It's the "Caution" part of the quoted manual excerpt above that is the kicker. Since the mirrors automatically unfold at 15 mph anyway, it would be nice if FOLD and UNFOLD were decoupled so that you could leave automatic folding activated while not automatically unfolding, or if the vehicle "remembered" that you had "manually" folded the mirrors.

I am generally in favor of having the mirrors folded when I am parked somewhere...it minimizes the chance that someone will hit one with a car door or snag it with their mirror while parking (I've had this happen on other vehicles), but I don't want to have to fool with doing it every time I park in public. If I routinely parked very close to a wall or shelf (narrow garage for instance) it would be a PITA to have to turn off automatic folding each time I parked there (particularly since it requires going to different screens to do so.)
They are separate options. So you can have auto fold and manual / auto at 15 mph unfold.

Communication Device Gadget Font Screenshot Display device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts