2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
That roof rack! I need details on that
Looks like a Yakima Lock-n-Load

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rivian customer service provided some details on the R1S doing that hill climb.

It was in response to a question about the incline and regen on descending that hill.
Turns out the R1T and R1S will come with a Hill Descent Mode:

"While I can’t quite speak to which exact hill was climbed nor its incline that was featured in RJ’s video (there are quite a lot of them!), I can say that this is something you can look forward to taking on with ease. As someone who has personally had extensive experience with existing non-EV offroaders, I am confident that the R1S could have handled an incline/decline with even more of a severe grade.

Regarding regenerative braking, this feature is always active (unless turned off) as it’s an inherent aspect of how electric motors work. Therefore, regenerative braking will indeed come into play and slow you down whether driving along on a flat road or down a hill. However, while doing more serious off-roading, you’ll likely want to learn more about our various situation-specific features, such as hill descent mode, designed exactly for these scenarios. I am positive that we will allow you to see all of this and more firsthand if you have a chance to take part in our demo drive programs coming forward this fall; keep an eye on future communications from us to sign up."

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Rivian customer service provided some details on the R1S doing that hill climb.

It was in response to a question about the incline and regen on descending that hill.
Turns out the R1T and R1S will come with a Hill Descent Mode:

"While I can’t quite speak to which exact hill was climbed nor its incline that was featured in RJ’s video (there are quite a lot of them!), I can say that this is something you can look forward to taking on with ease. As someone who has personally had extensive experience with existing non-EV offroaders, I am confident that the R1S could have handled an incline/decline with even more of a severe grade.

Regarding regenerative braking, this feature is always active (unless turned off) as it’s an inherent aspect of how electric motors work. Therefore, regenerative braking will indeed come into play and slow you down whether driving along on a flat road or down a hill. However, while doing more serious off-roading, you’ll likely want to learn more about our various situation-specific features, such as hill descent mode, designed exactly for these scenarios. I am positive that we will allow you to see all of this and more firsthand if you have a chance to take part in our demo drive programs coming forward this fall; keep an eye on future communications from us to sign up."
It'd be interesting to see how much charge you can get back from a day off-roading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.