Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Weather strip on the bottom of door step coming off

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  smartebiz 
#1 ·
Every time I get out of the truck at standard height my leg rubs on the flat rubber seal on bottom of the door step and it pops out of the track. I have to keep pushing it back in to seat right. It is a flimsy soft rubber that the track just can not hold in. I wish they would have extruded it from hard plastic. I am not sure what is the purpose of it; it is under the main door seal. Does everyone else have the same issue?

#8 ·
Took delivery yesterday and also have the same issue. Following. Was also considering double-sided tape as temporary solution but will open ticket to go along with other punchlist items (phone key setup not working, spare tire door doesn't close flush causing tailgate closing issue, wheel alignment off and steering to the right).

#15 ·
Not to use you all as my Beta Testers, but I am reaching out to my guide now to see if when the vehicle arrives at the service center, if they can check these punch list items before I take delivery it would save everyone time, effort, and energy in the long run. Other than the lower door seals, and a "problematic" powered tonneau cover operation, are there any punch list items I should inform them of to check before "Bruno" gets dropped off?

#16 ·
Copied from another post:

This is my punch list:

1. Found a SW bug in gear guard (RESOLVED w/latest SW update)
2. Have one key card that does not work (can be easily fixed I imagine)
3. Found weather strip / high water seal for driver side pulling away/missing adhesive (easy fix)
4. Have likely balance issue on 1 wheel at high speed - most noticeable at 80+MPH (advised service to try spare wheel if needed)
5. Have some unexpected power window behaviors & noises (inconsistent, but should be fixable)
6. Suspension "creaking" from dead stop or when applying brakes on front-end of vehicle (biggest issue IMHO, this one is possibly tricky)

(UPDATE ON #6 ABOVE) - Diagnosed as blown front drive unit. Techs found leaking and have determined a new front drive unit should be ordered and installed. Should arrive at service center tomorrow. *** I would advise that if you have audible creaking from front end (when accelerating from a dead-stop, or when coming to a stop) get the truck checked-out ASAP. I doubt this would ever be an issue upon delivery, but my creaking started a couple of weeks after being delivered...

Despite the above, the truck continues to far exceed my expectations everyday I drive it, and I can't imagine that these can't / won't be resolved.

#19 ·
Copied from another post:

This is my punch list:

6. Suspension "creaking" from dead stop or when applying brakes on front-end of vehicle (biggest issue IMHO, this one is possibly tricky)

(UPDATE ON #6 ABOVE) - Diagnosed as blown front drive unit. Techs found leaking and have determined a new front drive unit should be ordered and installed. Should arrive at service center tomorrow. *** I would advise that if you have audible creaking from front end (when accelerating from a dead-stop, or when coming to a stop) get the truck checked-out ASAP. I doubt this would ever be an issue upon delivery, but my creaking started a couple of weeks after being delivered...
Not what I wanted to hear. Several have claimed it was solved with a re-grease axle splines and retorque of the axle nut as well and a suspension component torque spec check. Interesting to hear you were told failing drive unit.

#20 ·
Worst fear is replacement of same front drive unit, then second failure. The timeline for service appointment scheduling, then drop-off, then diagnosis, then parts ordering, then repair is, well, rather daunting. I wonder if there are any improvements that could be noted in the manufacturing of this drive unit. My understanding is that the drive unit is a native Rivian part (not part of the Bosch motor unit component), so my hope is that Rivian is learning from this, and that we will not be in an endless replacement loop, but TBD. I have heard of a few other front drive unit failures.

#21 ·
I bought my R1S just drove about 10 miles from the Service Center after delivery My Car is totally stopped . After 4 business days service called me and said my drive unit failure and they ordered drive unit and they will fix and give me next week. Anybody can suggest should I ask them to replace the Car and take the car with replacing driving unit.