Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Weight

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris S 
#1 ·
Cannot find the weight difference between the 300mile and 400mile battery
I was always thought that the big battery was coming first so I was planning on that
Now that I have learned the medium battery is first I have to rethink
I just called and Rivian will be getting back to me on the difference in weight
The more I think about it the medium battery might be better off-road 🤔

Was so single minded on the big battery trying to decide

Looking for input :)

#2 ·
Cannot find the weight difference between the 300mile and 400mile battery
I was always thought that the big battery was coming first so I was planning on that
Now that I have learned the medium battery is first I have to rethink
I just called and Rivian will be getting back to me on the difference in weight
The more I think about it the medium battery might be better off-road 🤔

Was so single minded on the big battery trying to decide

Looking for input :)
Yeah, I was doubting the bigger pack for less range anxiety when going off road or the smaller battery and a more "nimble" ride... im also assuming the bigger pack will use more energy when trying to get over obstacles due to the weight. The 135KWh pack is already heavy at 5886lbs, so add 2 people and gear probably reaches 6.5Klbs... Not sure about the large battery weight, but I'm estimating ~500lbs heavier.
I'm just going by the MX numbers for reference since the 60D weighs about 5K and the 100D sits ~5.4K. Roughly every 10KWh adds 100lbs.

#4 ·
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the big battery puts the R1T over the 6,000 pound mark.

For off-roading it does make sense why Emme Hall drove the 135 kWh R1T for the Rebelle Rally instead of the 180 kWh pack.
She pretty much had to use what they gave her, I haven't seen anything about any of the prototypes having the 180 yet. Even then, hers was running about 75% capacity on the 135 pack. That makes it hard to really judge how the 135 will really do offroad.

#6 ·
If it does reach over 6000 pounds it could be eligible for a decent size tax deduction.

#9 ·
Vehicle weight doesn't factor into Sec. 179 eligibility. What matters is gross vehicle weight rating, which will be over 6K lbs. for both models. They'll only qualify for the smaller deduction ($25K IIRC), and you need to use it at least 50% for business use to take it.

#10 ·
So Rivian stated a curve weight of 5886lbs for the R1T [300mile range] and I just talked to someone today and they said that the weight includes the underbody protection.
Maybe it'll get closer to 7500lbs if you load it with 400 miles, the kitchen sink, another spare tire and 3 passengers....

#11 · (Edited)
As far as I know, the difference in power is more significant than the difference in weight. It is because of the power that it happens that the weight differs. I think that in order to measure, you need large scales, ordinary kitchen scales, like these https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ will not fit lol. I think it will exceed 6 kg with a package of 180 kWh. 135 kWh weighs 5886 pounds, and if you follow the figures of Tesla, about 100 pounds are added every 10 kWh. So keep this in mind, so as not to make a mistake in the future. Also, if there are more than 6000 feet, then there will be a tax deduction. In general, I advise you to monitor the power and weight. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.