Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order on Nov 29th, 2018, so fairly early. After many promises as we all know, we are delayed till spring next year. I just closed on my new house in Florida, Nov 30th, and was hoping to have my Rivian ready to tow my trailer with stuff from PA to FL.
The house sits empty! I need to move in, so I just had to buy me an ICE car, something I promised I would no longer do.
So that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
I need my Rivian ASAP!:unsure:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gotcha. Didn't realize you had sold or returned your only vehicle. I was ready to pull the trigger on selling my vehicle a couple of months ago in anticipation of a December delivery but held off just in case. Glad I did.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
45 Posts
I think this is the problem with the new car purchase model we are moving to across the board. Even old ICE companies are in the order and wait mode today. I think this will continue as normal for all automotive purchases from now on. The days of walking into a dealership and taking a car from inventory will be a distant memory. I have ordered many cars in the past from lots of different manufactures and didn't have to wait more than a couple of months for my delivery depending on when I ordered in the model release cycle. I have spoken with dealerships and friends stating it could be 6+ months for an ordered car to be delivered today. One bit of good news maybe those spur of the moment car purchases will be minimized. Plan ahead is the new number one rule for automotive purchase.

·
Registered
498 Posts
^ even 6 months wait is tolerable, but when you may be waiting a year or more (some Tesla models) it means some folks will be forced to move on to something else just out of necessity.

Both my kids had "vintage" BMW 3 Series cars in their last years of high school and through college because they were safe cars and a relative in the business got them at good $$ for us. But, fast forward to post grad and work years and the now 16+ yo BMW's were starting to break down continuously costing big $$ and sometimes leaving them stranded at night miles away from home. It became apparent they both needed new reliable vehicles and quickly. One weekend we visited the local Honda and Mazda dealership and three days later one daughter owned and drove home a brand new Mazda. The other daughter was sold on electric (like her old man ;) ) so she ordered a Model 3 in early 2021 and took delivery two months later (driving my Model Y in the mean time). Point being, we had new cars in relatively short order to replace quickly fading older vehicles. If during our search for new vehicles we had been told it would be up to a year wait.. that would be an instant deal breaker and would have forced us to move on to a different manufacturer or vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
45 Posts
^ even 6 months wait is tolerable, but when you may be waiting a year or more (some Tesla models) it means some folks will be forced to move on to something else just out of necessity.

Both my kids had "vintage" BMW 3 Series cars in their last years of high school and through college because they were safe cars and a relative in the business got them at good $$ for us. But, fast forward to post grad and work years and the now 16+ yo BMW's were starting to break down continuously costing big $$ and sometimes leaving them stranded at night miles away from home. It became apparent they both needed new reliable vehicles and quickly. One weekend we visited the local Honda and Mazda dealership and three days later one daughter owned and drove home a brand new Mazda. The other daughter was sold on electric (like her old man ;) ) so she ordered a Model 3 in early 2021 and took delivery two months later (driving my Model Y in the mean time). Point being, we had new cars in relatively short order to replace quickly fading older vehicles. If during our search for new vehicles we had been told it would be up to a year wait.. that would be an instant deal breaker and would have forced us to move on to a different manufacturer or vehicle.
At the beginning of 2020 we sold all our vehicles and got a new family hauler a 2019 Ford Expedition with a $6K off deal from Ford. The plan was to add a second car mid year 2020 and make it an EV. I had been eyeing Rivian and had just sold my 2018 Tacoma and was pretty excited about having an electric truck. Flash forward to today with work from home and many fewer miles driven then normal we don't plan to add a second vehicle until spring or summer of 2022 now. We have contacted several manufactures and viewed inventory and Mazda was the one brand that had something to view and/or purchase even as of a few weeks ago. I will not purchase a new vehicle without driving it first and will not commit to a 1 year delivery date today. I can wait to buy so we are watching the auto news and checking inventories from time to time and making plans for next year. I would love to have a EV but who knows what the coming months will unfold when it comes to production numbers. We owned a Mazda CX9 for a couple of years and it was a 100% trouble free experience. I hope your daughters have the same experience as we did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.