Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information regarding Rivian’s charging infrastructure Plan? Will they have the infrastructure in place by the time vehicles are delivered?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hiya!
Just joined.
Does anyone know what charge plug the Rivian plans to use? Will they make a "wall" charger like Tesla does, for home charging?

Thanks,

GEON

·
Registered
29 Posts
Level 2 will be a a SAE J1772 and DC will be CCS. Both standard. Many chargers out there that will work just as Tesla does. Rivian may have on to buy. This site is a start to learn the specifics. Lots of info out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Level 2 will be a a SAE J1772 and DC will be CCS. Both standard. Many chargers out there that will work just as Tesla does. Rivian may have on to buy. This site is a start to learn the specifics. Lots of info out there.
Will they increase the level 2 spec to handle faster charging? Tesla's previous generation chargers could support up to a 100 amp breaker, the newer wall chargers are less now. But from what I can tell the max a level 2 charger can handle is a 40 amp breaker - that means 32 amps = 7680watts. With a 180kwh battery - could be more than just overnight to charge (at home...)...
Did I get this right?

GEON

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rivian R1T and R1S will have a 11.5 kw onboard charger. At 240 volts the most it will draw is 48 amps (11500 w / 240 v) which requires a 60 amp breaker and the EVSE hard-wired vs plugged in (e.g. into a NEMA 14-50R). It's my understanding that anything bigger than a 60 amp breaker is not necessary unless you're looking to future proof your set up, say, for a future EV with a more powerful onboard charger and/or a second EV you'll be charging. BTW, Wattzilla brand makes EVSEs from 40 to 80 amps.

So far Rivian has given no indication they will go with a more powerful onboard charger at least with the introductory models.

With a 180kwh battery - could be more than just overnight to charge (at home...)
I would think that would only be an issue if you go from 0 to 100% SOC, which is not recommended on a regular basis. I've seen (in general, not Rivian) a recommended SOC range is 10 or 20% to 85 or 90% to prolong battery life. So that's about 70% of the 180 kWh BP = 126 kWh. Dividing that by 11.5 kW would take just under 11 hrs to charge, but that doesn't account for any factors like taper. Not known at this point if Rivian will taper the charge as the BP reaches higher % of SOC, but I suspect they will, meaning the tail-end of charging may take a little longer to charge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rivian R1T and R1S will have a 11.5 kw onboard charger. At 240 volts the most it will draw is 48 amps (11500 w / 240 v) which requires a 60 amp breaker and the EVSE hard-wired vs plugged in (e.g. into a NEMA 14-50R). It's my understanding that anything bigger than a 60 amp breaker is not necessary unless you're looking to future proof your set up, say, for a future EV with a more powerful onboard charger and/or a second EV you'll be charging. BTW, Wattzilla brand makes EVSEs from 40 to 80 amps.

So far Rivian has given no indication they will go with a more powerful onboard charger at least with the introductory models.

I would think that would only be an issue if you go from 0 to 100% SOC, which is not recommended on a regular basis. I've seen (in general, not Rivian) a recommended SOC range is 10 or 20% to 85 or 90% to prolong battery life. So that's about 70% of the 180 kWh BP = 126 kWh. Dividing that by 11.5 kW would take just under 11 hrs to charge, but that doesn't account for any factors like taper. Not known at this point if Rivian will taper the charge as the BP reaches higher % of SOC, but I suspect they will, meaning the tail-end of charging may take a little longer to charge.
Yes, OK, I put a 60 amp breaker on my current charger. (Tesla) I haven't seen any of the current non-tesla chargers go beyond 40 amps...

Good point on the SOC, 11 hours is double what I am doing now - but the capacity is double too!

Thanks for your help.

GEON

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rivian is supposedly going to 11kw for level 2 charging which would require a 60 Amp box and must be hard wired. Check juice box.

Awesome - thank you - I hadn't seen any of the chargers that would be able to provide full-charging amps...

GEON

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, OK, I put a 60 amp breaker on my current charger. (Tesla) I haven't seen any of the current non-tesla chargers go beyond 40 amps...

Good point on the SOC, 11 hours is double what I am doing now - but the capacity is double too!

Thanks for your help.

GEON
Just so you are clear the charging station is not a charger unless you are DC fast charging. Level 1 and level 2 chargers are built into every EV car or truck. The cord you attach is an EVSE short for electric vehicle service equipment. Basically a smart cord that checks for faults and proper electricity before allowing current to flow. With the ability to make the live end dead so there is no chance of an arc or anyone touching a live circuit. I hope you find this info informative.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just so you are clear the charging station is not a charger unless you are DC fast charging. Level 1 and level 2 chargers are built into every EV car or truck. The cord you attach is an EVSE short for electric vehicle service equipment. Basically a smart cord that checks for faults and proper electricity before allowing current to flow. With the ability to make the live end dead so there is no chance of an arc or anyone touching a live circuit. I hope you find this info informative.
Appreciate the correction, but who cares? This what powers the charging of my vehicle. My point was that the Tesla unit can have a variety of breakers in it and participates with the charging amperage flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts