Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the off-roading enthusiasts here, what are your go to tires that you want to put on your R1S or R1T?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats a very interesting question, since there is so much more tied up to it because of all the torque it has.
Seems like its doing quite well on custom designed pirellies but I would love to put AT All weather tires to not bother with seasonal swap and still feel very confident off road.
On my last few cars I had very good luck and experience overall with all weather tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my non electric truck I have. BFG ko2’s and that’s fairly standard in off-road world (in canada). They’re quite good when you have air at right PSI for each job, if not you’ll see a bit of slippage. Also heard about Falken Wildpeaks being good, might try those next.
In relation to rivian though it all depends on clearance/rim size/ etc if what gets spec’d up to fit. Curious how the Pirellis hold up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends is the best answer. As tsalvin30 noted BFG AT KO2s are quite the go-to here in the PNW as well, which is what I run on my Tacoma. I also like the Duratracs which are more of a modern tred style vs the BFG AT (albeit KO2s a bit newer style than original KOs). The main advantage for us in Oregon with the BFG AT KO2s or Duratracs is they carry the snowflake symbol, which means you don't have to chain-up going through the pass snow zones since they qualify as a "traction tire". I've ran the Toyo Open Country ATs which are an excellent tire, however they don't carry the snowflake symbol so you still may be asked to chain up, although in 7 years of running them on my Grand Cherokee I was never asked to nor needed to.

If you doing more mud/sand I like the BFG MTs or Goodyear MT/Rs are both solid.

Again, just depends :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends is the best answer. As tsalvin30 noted BFG AT KO2s are quite the go-to here in the PNW as well, which is what I run on my Tacoma. I also like the Duratracs which are more of a modern tred style vs the BFG AT (albeit KO2s a bit newer style than original KOs). The main advantage for us in Oregon with the BFG AT KO2s or Duratracs is they carry the snowflake symbol, which means you don't have to chain-up going through the pass snow zones since they qualify as a "traction tire". I've ran the Toyo Open Country ATs which are an excellent tire, however they don't carry the snowflake symbol so you still may be asked to chain up, although in 7 years of running them on my Grand Cherokee I was never asked to nor needed to.

If you doing more mud/sand I like the BFG MTs or Goodyear MT/Rs are both solid.

Again, just depends :)
Something that could handle snow would be a requirement on my list for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Jeep has had BFG AT KOs on it since 2003, a new set goes on Wednesday. I have been using them year round forever here in Canada. I have managed up to 2 feet of snow at times with it, so they handle snow OK. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Jeep has had BFG AT KOs on it since 2003, a new set goes on Wednesday. I have been using them year round forever here in Canada. I have managed up to 2 feet of snow at times with it, so they handle snow OK. :)
That is definitely good to know. How long did the old set last for you @Drek2U?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, they are being replaced due to old age rather than wear. Just realized a couple weeks ago that they are dangerously old (original set) but I have probably put 80,000 kilometers on them over the years and they still have plenty of tread.
Now I would expect the wear to be very different on a heavier vehicle since I have 32X11.50X15 on the Jeep which only weighs 3200lbs or so, but traction would be much the same. I have a video coming from a friend that shows him playing in the snow with his vehicle in about 1.5 feet that I will post once he has uploaded it. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, they are being replaced due to old age rather than wear. Just realized a couple weeks ago that they are dangerously old (original set) but I have probably put 80,000 kilometers on them over the years and they still have plenty of tread.
Now I would expect the wear to be very different on a heavier vehicle since I have 32X11.50X15 on the Jeep which only weighs 3200lbs or so, but traction would be much the same. I have a video coming from a friend that shows him playing in the snow with his vehicle in about 1.5 feet that I will post once he has uploaded it. :)
I look forward to watching that video!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is the whole video, there are a few of the rigs in this that are running the BFG AT KOs. The part I was talking about is at 12:49 or so.
I am not as dedicated to wheeling in the winter as these guys, but they certainly have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts