Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was preparing for an overland/off-road trip and realized, I don't need the conventional camping gear -- I have a Rivian, and it has plenty of electricity.

Anyone tested the upper bounds of wattage of the electric plugs? Not that I want to find out on a trek, but I wonder if the fuse blows, how to reset/repair it. Seems like it would be good to know, just in case one is depending on this as the sole source of cooking when on the trail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was preparing for an overland/off-road trip and realized, I don't need the conventional camping gear -- I have a Rivian, and it has plenty of electricity.

Anyone tested the upper bounds of wattage of the electric plugs? Not that I want to find out on a trek, but I wonder if the fuse blows, how to reset/repair it. Seems like it would be good to know, just in case one is depending on this as the sole source of cooking when on the trail.

The 120v outlets can handle a total of 1,500 watts. You can use a single appliance that is up to 1,500 watts or multiple appliances on more than one outlet as long as they don’t exceed a total a 1,500 watts. You should be able to find a portable induction cooktop that will work.

·
Registered
406 Posts
How about a real camp set up? Way more versatile and practical then the Rivian kitchen. For base camp I use a GSI Selkirk stove and/or a old Coleman duel fuel. Also have 2 MSR pocket rockets when going light weight in the trail. I have a mountain summit camp kitchen and am preferring GSI cook wear these days. You Can do a really nice top of the line set up that weights <25 lbs for $300-400. Can do a nice set up that weighs a little more for ~$200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Camp Kitchen and plugging into the R1T will certainly have limits if the campsite is a walk-in site. Make sure you don't have to park 30 yards from your site, otherwise you'll be have to cook all alone while everyone else hangs around the fire. So let us know if you end up testing a 50-ft extension cord run as well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about a real camp set up? Way more versatile and practical then the Rivian kitchen. For base camp I use a GSI Selkirk stove and/or a old Coleman duel fuel. Also have 2 MSR pocket rockets when going light weight in the trail. I have a mountain summit camp kitchen and am preferring GSI cook wear these days. You Can do a really nice top of the line set up that weights <25 lbs for $300-400. Can do a nice set up that weighs a little more for ~$200.
Many places in the Rockies and west don't allow open flames for a good part of the season. Induction is definitely an advantage then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts