Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that regularly tow with their trucks, what kinds of things do you tow? Also, are you planning on doing the same thing with your Rivian?

With the R1T's tow rating of 11,000 pounds and the R1S' rating of 7,700 pounds, there's a lot you can work with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tow with an SUV rather than a pickup, specifically an older Volvo XC-90 V8 Sport. Until recently, I towed only my catboat which, with trailer was only about 2,500 lbs. I will take delivery of a teardrop-style camper early in 2021 which weighs slightly less than the sailboat and is much more aerodynamic.

I had hoped to use an R1S to tow the camper but need the 180kwh battery package to make that feasible. Unfortunately, the Max package is not available for pre-order and Rivian says there will be an announcement of its availability in early 2022. That will likely mean 2023 delivery, so I am going to change my order to the R1T with the Max package and hope that will be available for 2022 delivery.

The big question I have is what impact towing will have on range. Rivian says that range is reduced by half at the max tow capacity, but I'll be hauling much less than that. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get information on how mileage will be affected by light loads like that of my camper and only know that the relationship is not linear. Hopefully, the impact is relatively small.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tow a 14’ single axle open utility trailer with a Honda Pioneer side-by-side on it. Trailer is 1,000# and SxS is just under 2,000# for a total GVWR of just under 3,000#. It’s not the most aerodynamic thing, so drag is just as big of an issue for me as it relates to efficiency as weight is. I REALLY wish Rivian would release efficiency info from all of those towing tests they did in extreme conditions. Knowing the truck can do it only halfway solves the problem. Knowing how much energy it consumed in the process is going to be critical in understanding the practicality of it. Hopefully they aren’t hiding things because the results were abysmal, but based on other test done on Tesla Model X’s, I’m not optimistic. Another reason for us to continue to push to have the MaxPack battery included as an option on the LE.

Reactions: JimmyEV

·
Registered
22 Posts
I currently tow a 19' center console outboard or a Teardrop trailer-- between 2,800- 3,500 lbs, depending. I use a 2013 Honda Ridgline with a tow capacity of a little over 5,000 lbs, which does an OK job, and only loses about 33% mpg-- dropping from about 16 mpg to 11 mpg. I figure, if I only lose 33% range on the R1T with the mid sized battery, I'll still have the same range I currently have. I also know owning and using an EV will demand changes in my expectations for travel, and "refueling". I'm fine with that, especially considering that taking a half hour break to charge is certainly a good thing after towing for 3-4 hours anyway, and demanding change in the transportation sector is part of why I want to own an EV in the first place.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tow a Yamaha AR 230 Jet Boat, 5000lbs, a 1300lb enclosed 5x8 trailer, and a 7000lb horse trailer. The R1T with max pack should get me where I need to go.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tow a 14’ single axle open utility trailer with a Honda Pioneer side-by-side on it. Trailer is 1,000# and SxS is just under 2,000# for a total GVWR of just under 3,000#. It’s not the most aerodynamic thing, so drag is just as big of an issue for me as it relates to efficiency as weight is. I REALLY wish Rivian would release efficiency info from all of those towing tests they did in extreme conditions. Knowing the truck can do it only halfway solves the problem. Knowing how much energy it consumed in the process is going to be critical in understanding the practicality of it. Hopefully they aren’t hiding things because the results were abysmal, but based on other test done on Tesla Model X’s, I’m not optimistic. Another reason for us to continue to push to have the MaxPack battery included as an option on the LE.
I really want them to release info like that too. Otherwise we're going to have to wait for reviews and YouTube videos to tell us.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I tow a Yamaha AR 230 Jet Boat, 5000lbs, a 1300lb enclosed 5x8 trailer, and a 7000lb horse trailer. The R1T with max pack should get me where I need to go.
Yup. Shouldn't be an issue. R1S might not work though. You never want to come close to the max rating really.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rivian stated that 11k was not the maximum the truck could pull, but they didn't want to rate anything that would reduce battery capacity past 50%. I would hazard a guess that as long as the frame can hold up to it the amount of torque the motors can put out would enable much more than 11k to be pulled. The issue, as always, is range. Maybe once they release the additional bed-mounted battery packs they've patented you'll be able to extend range enough to enable more towing 🤷

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am looking at camper/trailers with the usual considerations (weight, aerodynamics, utility--for me that means a place to pee at night--an age thing, you know). Curious as to what people have or are getting. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rivian stated that 11k was not the maximum the truck could pull, but they didn't want to rate anything that would reduce battery capacity past 50%. I would hazard a guess that as long as the frame can hold up to it the amount of torque the motors can put out would enable much more than 11k to be pulled. The issue, as always, is range. Maybe once they release the additional bed-mounted battery packs they've patented you'll be able to extend range enough to enable more towing 🤷
Payload of the vehicle is the limiting factor. Total payload is 1764lb, and I confirmed the max tongue weight for the structure is 1470lb. That leaves just 294lbs for passengers.

The tongue weight for any trailer needs to be between 10% and 15% of the gross trailer weight. 1470 is 13% of an 11000lb trailers. Yes Ford showed they could pull 1 million lbs of train with an electric F-150, but that was very slow and was a prototype that may have also bent due to the stress, or they could have welded in some extra steel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I been looking at a NuCamp Tab S, 2200 lbs as I would configure it, with a tongue weight of 190 lbs. Even if I went Airstream Basecamp at around 2600 lbs, I think I'd be OK. Basecamp puts LP and Batteries up with the hitch getting that up to 400 lbs...so that is a bigger hit than I'd like...but gee they're pretty.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be way too nervous to try and tow anything more than that. Wouldn't want to risk damaging the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I been looking at a NuCamp Tab S, 2200 lbs as I would configure it, with a tongue weight of 190 lbs. Even if I went Airstream Basecamp at around 2600 lbs, I think I'd be OK. Basecamp puts LP and Batteries up with the hitch getting that up to 400 lbs...so that is a bigger hit than I'd like...but gee they're pretty.
I have a [email protected] 320 BD on order and am sure it will be an easy load for the R1S. Unloaded, the 320 is about 1,900 lbs; with batteries, LP and water it will be somewhere around 2,200 lbs. The factory (unloaded) tongue weight is about 160 lbs and with spare, LP and batteries about 216 lbs. That will go up slightly with full water tanks but should still be more than manageable.

While I expect that the R1S should easily be able to handle the [email protected], I need the Max pack to be able to get to and from where I need to go. With the larger battery not available on the R1S until probably 2023, my problem is wait, not weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a [email protected] 400 Boondock with specs of “Tongue Weight Dry 328lbs/Total Gross Weight Dry 2,956lbs”. Add on 20 gallons of water (160 lb), a couple propane tanks (70 lb), food and gear— I’m figuring a 3,500 lb trailer with a tongue weight of about 350. My Ridgeline pulls that really well, and doesn’t have close to the specs of the R1T, so it seems like it should be a good combo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts