Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
After reading the several comments about towing, one can can conclude that there is a bit of a disconnect relative to having an EV and accepting the adjustments in habits that must go along with it. Just as one will no longer have to find service stations where you can maneuver with your trailer, one will have to find places to plug in and rest a bit. Stop and sniff the envirionment we are hoping to save.

As a Class A motor home used, our towing situation had to greatly change. Can not tow the Rivian, so must have a good size vehicle hauling trailer to pull behind the motor home instead of the Jeep. (Do plan to tow Jeep behind the Rivian to get back to our summer place after taking delivery in Normal.)

Like others, the problem right now is waiting. Six more months.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
After reading the several comments about towing, one can can conclude that there is a bit of a disconnect relative to having an EV and accepting the adjustments in habits that must go along with it. Just as one will no longer have to find service stations where you can maneuver with your trailer, one will have to find places to plug in and rest a bit. Stop and sniff the envirionment we are hoping to save.

As a Class A motor home used, our towing situation had to greatly change. Can not tow the Rivian, so must have a good size vehicle hauling trailer to pull behind the motor home instead of the Jeep. (Do plan to tow Jeep behind the Rivian to get back to our summer place after taking delivery in Normal.)

Like others, the problem right now is waiting. Six more months.
One upside here is that we could get 'electric jerry cans'.

It was part of patent that Rivian filed a while ago and could be great for extra juice under high demand situations like this. Especially when charging stations may be too far out. Would you consider using that if it was an option?

·
Registered
861 Posts
One upside here is that we could get 'electric jerry cans'.

It was part of patent that Rivian filed a while ago and could be great for extra juice under high demand situations like this. Especially when charging stations may be too far out. Would you consider using that if it was an option?
What would the weight be? I assume reasonable range would be too heavy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was inquiring about the weight of the theoretical "electric jerry can" rather than the trailer.
You have probably seen this already but thought I would attach it anyway. This is the only thing I recall seeing about any temporary range extensions. Does not see to be portable like a Jerry Can but seems like it could add significant range if they did develop it based on the patent submission.

Rivian patents "removable auxiliary battery" for its R1T electric pickup truck - Electrek

·
Registered
861 Posts
You have probably seen this already but thought I would attach it anyway. This is the only thing I recall seeing about any temporary range extensions. Does not see to be portable like a Jerry Can but seems like it could add significant range if they did develop it based on the patent submission.

Rivian patents "removable auxiliary battery" for its R1T electric pickup truck - Electrek
Yes, I have seen that. You had used the term "Jerry Can" which I interpreted to mean an easily portable unit... I assume such a thing is not practical with current technology, due to weight. I was just curious if you had seen something I had not. Seems not.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Great option for anyone using the R1T as a work truck versus the average person that could get by with the jerry can they patented.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A typical 40-pound LiFePO4 battery is good for about 1kWh of energy. Enough to drive two miles. And unless it's directly tied into the high voltage system (unlikely), you need to wait an hour to move that energy through an inverter (heavier than 40 pounds) and into the J1772 plug. V2V is far more practical.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't exactly know but keeping around what regular jerry cans weigh or less would be ideal.
30-40 lbs? What do you think?
A gallon of gas weighs 6.3 lbs. A standard gas can is 5 gallons, so that's 31.5 lbs. A truck will average 13-23 mpg, so that's a range of 65-115 miles per standard jerry can.

From a quick google search, it seems that Lithium-Ion cells have an energy density of 265 Wh/kg (120.45 Wh/lb).

So if you made an electrical equivalent (by weight) of a standard jerry can, you'd have 3,794Wh of energy (assuming the packaging didn't weight anything... so realistically less.

Assuming Rivian gets 300 miles on a 135kWh "large" standard battery, that's 450W/mile.

A 3,794Wh jerry can would get you a whopping 8.43 miles of range. Useless.

Let's say we didn't constrain ourselves to the 31.5 lbs that a gas jerry can weighs. Instead, let's allow ourselves to go up to 50 lbs -- the max weight any one person would typically want to lift. That's 6,022.5Wh of energy, or 13.38 miles of range. Still useless.

Let's say we wanted the battery to be "jerry can size". Well that would weight approximately 250 lbs and would be a "team lift" item that required 2-4 people to load into the bed of the truck. Certainly not something you'd want to take in/out regularly... but a semi-permanent accessory that was offered. You'd have 30kWh of energy, which would give you 66.92 miles of range. That's basically the bottom-end of meaningful range extension, imo. But it's lost all the appeal of portability for most people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We own an Airstream Basecamp 16x..weight is well within the limits of the R1t/s. With max battery I believe we will be within distance limits needed. My issue is when our camping is Harvest Host (no hook ups) or national Campgrounds (normally no hook ups) we would have limited range of our destination and spending an extra half day looking for charge stations. I so want this to work, but I can’t wrap my head around how it is practical until a net work is developed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We own an Airstream Basecamp 16x..weight is well within the limits of the R1t/s. With max battery I believe we will be within distance limits needed. My issue is when our camping is Harvest Host (no hook ups) or national Campgrounds (normally no hook ups) we would have limited range of our destination and spending an extra half day looking for charge stations. I so want this to work, but I can’t wrap my head around how it is practical until a net work is developed.
Thinking about getting one of those post-R1T. Be sure to post about your experiences. Lots of people will be interested, I'm sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Rivian's charging network should be able to help you out with looking for chargers when you're going camping. Rivian is planning to build 3,500+ fast chargers at 600+ locations across the country. Have you checked out the map to see if there's going to be stations near you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rivian's charging network should be able to help you out with looking for chargers when you're going camping. Rivian is planning to build 3,500+ fast chargers at 600+ locations across the country. Have you checked out the map to see if there's going to be stations near you?

I’m impressed with the proposed charging network. What is everyone’s confidence level that they will deliver?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I’m impressed with the proposed charging network. What is everyone’s confidence level that they will deliver?

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
Electrify America has had a very aggressive plan and now they have a lot of chargers out there. But there have been many struggles along the way. When EA got started, one big disadvantage was a lack of available 350KW chargers, they were just being developed. They have also suffered from government red tape that delays permits, inspections and utility connections, so Rivian will have to deal with those same issues.

One potential issue I see, is that it does not appear Rivian has selected an established charger vendor for their units. Maybe I am wrong about that. I would feel better if they were using some of the already proven suppliers that worked with EA and EVGO, since they have now worked out many of the reliability issues.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
467 Posts
I feel good about them ultimately delivering on it. In the timeframe they’ve stated? I have doubts about that. But good for them for going public with audacious goals!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts