Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Payload of the vehicle is the limiting factor. Total payload is 1764lb, and I confirmed the max tongue weight for the structure is 1470lb. That leaves just 294lbs for passengers.

The tongue weight for any trailer needs to be between 10% and 15% of the gross trailer weight. 1470 is 13% of an 11000lb trailers. Yes Ford showed they could pull 1 million lbs of train with an electric F-150, but that was very slow and was a prototype that may have also bent due to the stress, or they could have welded in some extra steel.
That video has a very simple physical logic behind the scene , almost any car can do it , its a show, look it up .

·
Registered
142 Posts
I tow an Escapod tear drop trailer. About 2000lbs
View attachment 2896
I tow a [email protected] 320 Boondock, close in weight & footprint size to the Escapod, though a bit taller. I anticipate that range penalty it will have on the Rivian will be roughly the same as the mileage penalty it has on my ICE vehicle, about a 30% hit. This will make the effective general range of the Rivian with the 415+ mile Max battery pack something like 210 or so miles, assuming 80/20 max/min SOC parameters. That should be OK, if marginal, assuming the Rivian Adventure Network is robust and the general charging network gets built out as planned. Not viable with the Long Range (315 mi) battery pack.
Sky Cloud Plant community Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

i have a 16ft utility trailer and a 40hp tractor I tow. Loaded with attachments it’s about 7000 lbs. I also have a sxs and I make maple syrup. So I have a 500 gallon tank on a trailer I also tow. I don’t go much more than 50 miles round trip. Range I’d hope wouldn’t be a issue. I’d love to see it tow something. I’ve yet to put a deposit down kinda waiting to see.

·
Registered
1962, VW, Beetle, A C 2020, Kia, Soul EV 2014, Tesla, Model S, EV
7 Posts
Hello,
We have an Airstream Caravel 20FB with a GVWR of 5000# and a Tongue Weight of ~ 560#.
A am confident that the R1T will do the trick and being retired and having time will help too.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts