Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Maybe someone else is considering other vehicles like myself. Yes, I am leaning towards a Rivian, and have my spot in line, but what else is out there for the $ you're spending on a Rivian? I really want an electric, but cost wise, I can't help but think of what else you can get for the same amount. Please sell me on the Rivian :)

My considerations, keeping MPG (70 mile a day commute) and SIMILAR COST as my most important criteria (and driver seating room):

1. Rivian - (tax incentive later will help to reduce yearly taxable income)
  1. $69,300 with the all terrain 20s
  2. 4x4 - not needed but nice
  3. Even at this price, it's not the top-end with the ventilated seats, surround sound etc.
  4. Super fast & no gas
  5. smaller; not sure if this is a plus or minus if interior cabin room is large
  6. no cover for glass roof yet (they said could be offered as accessory)
  7. I will need to install 240v and new breaker
  8. over air updates
  9. Will people damage the trucks like they do Teslas? So strange!!

2. Ford F-150 Platinum Powerboost (Lariat trim can be had for less)
  1. $67k net price
  2. Available now
  3. Loaded with everything you can imagine (vented seats, panoramic roof W/ COVER, surround sound etc)
  4. 24mpg with hybrid
  5. Larger in size
  6. 4x2 or 4x4
  7. over air updates
3. BMW 540 (always loved them) (or even a 530 or 530e)
  1. $67k
  2. luxury & performance with everything you would expect (vented seats/massaging seats, surround sound etc)
  3. AWD available
  4. good gas mileage in the 30s
  5. yes, it's a car, but always on my list
4. F-150 Electric?
  1. Price TBD
  2. When is it available, 2022?
  3. full size
  4. need to install 240v and new breaker

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your evaluation of the Rivian. #3 - it does have ventilated seats, and it's got a better surround system than anything else you've mentioned (I have a Meridian system in my RR and I've spent plenty of time in other people's BMWs and F150s). EDIT: I guess you're looking at the Explore, which does not have ventilated seats? I didn't realize the base model lacked that, so this part of my comment is likely not applicable, but I'll leave it anyway.

If you don't care about 4x4 then I don't know why you would get the 20" ATs, since they'll be the worst performer in any other scenario besides offroading. If you aren't planning to take the vehicle offroad, then you should clarify what your primary use is. If you want a work truck, get an F150 - it'll be better for it. If you're into adventure, then the Rivian will likely be the better choice (at least over the long term once charging infra makes the range/fuel anxiety thing go away).

Throwing a car in as a comparison against 3 trucks just makes this even harder to offer any meaningful advice on, so I'll say this:

Go figure out what's important to you. You'll be able to answer your own question then.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I also have a Hummer EV on order, planning to get that and an R1S. I am going to see a Hummer prototype, in person, at Barret Jackson this afternoon.
Nice! I'm jealous.

I'd love to see one, in person. I'm hoping GM will allow test drives, before purchase... but I'm not sure if that's going to happen, since they're all going to be pre-sold, from what I've read.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I currently have a Tesla Model S and a Toyota 4Runner because I need the offroad capabilities of the 4Runner, but like and want all the benefits of an EV. I’d really prefer to only have one vehicle to provide both my wants and my needs. So a truly offroad capable EV is my limiting requirement - otherwise I’d just keep what I have. So that limits me to Bollinger, Hummer, CyberTruck and F150 EV. Yes, there are other options, but I dismiss those as too much risk or too far away from really having something delivered in the near term. Rivian wins points for being a highly capable and nice looking vehicle, their financial backing is solid, and they seem to have a great vision and plan. Compared to Bollinger and Hummer, they win the price game too. I do like the beefier offroad look of both the Bollinger and the Hummer, but they get ruled out on price, and Bollinger also has viability risk as a company, IMO. F-150 EV is too far out from delivery. CyberTruck is just too ugly for me, and I’m a bit burned out on Tesla. Thus I’m sold on Rivian as the best mix of capability I need and want, looks, price / value, and long term viability of the company.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
Nice! I'm jealous.

I'd love to see one, in person. I'm hoping GM will allow test drives, before purchase... but I'm not sure if that's going to happen, since they're all going to be pre-sold, from what I've read.
My dealership is getting an early Hummer, so I do expect to get a test drive, maybe late this year. FYI, VIN#1 is up for auction on Saturday at Barret Jackson, if you have very deep pockets! Money will go to charity.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My dealership is getting an early Hummer, so I do expect to get a test drive, maybe late this year. FYI, VIN#1 is up for auction on Saturday at Barret Jackson, if you have very deep pockets! Money will go to charity.
Nice that it goes to charity, but I assume the bidding price will be above the standard First Edition MSRP -- which is already making me wince.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys!

Maybe someone else is considering other vehicles like myself. Yes, I am leaning towards a Rivian, and have my spot in line, but what else is out there for the $ you're spending on a Rivian? I really want an electric, but cost wise, I can't help but think of what else you can get for the same amount. Please sell me on the Rivian :)

My considerations, keeping MPG (70 mile a day commute) and SIMILAR COST as my most important criteria (and driver seating room):

3. Even at this price, it's not the top-end with the ventilated seats, surround sound etc.
  4. Super fast & no gas
  8. over air updates

1. $67k net price
  2. Available now
  3. Loaded with everything you can imagine (vented seats, panoramic roof W/ COVER, surround sound etc)
  4. 24mpg with hybrid
  5. Larger in size
  6. 4x2 or 4x4
  7. over air updates
  1. $67k
  2. luxury & performance with everything you would expect (vented seats/massaging seats, surround sound etc)
  3. AWD available
4. F-150 Electric?
  1. Price TBD
  3. full size
Ford F150EV and the Benz EQS.. we are on both call-back lists in addition to Rivian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I understand your evaluation of the Rivian. #3 ...
Yes, I'm looking at the R1T with the Explore pkg. Sorry, that's why I listed the price as I did, and compared to the others with the similar pricing. I chose the 20-all Terrains purely for comfort (not off-road performance). I don't think the 21" on-road wheels will give as much comfort, I maybe wrong, and hopefully reviewers in June will tell us so.

I threw in the BMW for cost comparison. We all know the BMWs are nice, but pricey... so for commuting purposes, these all serve the same, whether it be a $68,000 truck or $68,000 car.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Welcome @BobInCharge!

The only other electric pickup I'm waiting on is the Ford F-150 EV. Have you heard anything else about specs? Because I haven't aside from one big hint and that is it will be more powerful than the current Ford F-150 Raptor. That came directly from Ford. ;)

And a prototype was spotted today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A couple things you can probably add in to your chart, Rivian will likely still have the $7,500 tax rebate while the BMW and Ford F-150 Gas will not. Also, BMW currently owns the distinction of having the highest overall cost of ownership, of that matters to you. I personally like them, but still could factor into your decision.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also have a Hummer EV on order, planning to get that and an R1S. I am going to see a Hummer prototype, in person, at Barret Jackson this afternoon.
Reply to myself, now have pictures of the Hummer and the new Bronco. No Rivian booth at all, very sad.😢 Tesla had a booth, but no Cybertruck.

Vehicle Hood Grille Automotive tire Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for sharing those.

Was the Hummer driver door open the EV? Was that a big hump in the floor? Curious what they would need that for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I really want is the ID Buzz but am not sure it will materialize in US. I only just put down my deposit in January so it will be a long while before my number comes up for Rivian. By then, there should be some real world experiences to evaluate and maybe VW will have built the Buzz (or not).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for sharing those.

Was the Hummer driver door open the EV? Was that a big hump in the floor? Curious what they would need that for.
Yes, I got the rep to open the door for me. There is a big storage compartment there, but that may also be space for some computers for the infotainment system. This was a hand made prototype, so it may not be final.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I know they're auctioning a Hummer for charity but is Barrett-Jackson auctioning off a Bronco too?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey guys!

4. Super fast & no gas
  8. over air updates

1. $67k net price
  2. Available now
  4. 24mpg with hybrid
  5. Larger in size
  6. 4x2 or 4x4
  7. over air updates
  1. $67k
  3. AWD available
4. F-150 Electric?
  1. Price TBD
  3. full size
Why spend your money on one motor when you can have a motor for each wheel? 😀

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks eHauler! Yes, that F-150 will be a definite check for me too! I saw a similar spy photo with different wheels the other day (had more of the enclosed face on the rim)

Not to derail my thread, but that Hummer looks like it has a huge laptop attached to it for the screen. How ar eyou supposed to see over it when avoiding obstacles?! :)

Will we get larger and larger screens (like televisions are these days) until one day, we sit IN the screen :) .

That BRONCO looks epic!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know they're auctioning a Hummer for charity but is Barrett-Jackson auctioning off a Bronco too?
Four VIN #001s will be auctioned on Saturday:
  • Hummer
  • Bronco (2 door)
  • TRX
  • Mach 1
Seems Rivian could have got on board and had some nice advertising.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not to derail my thread, but that Hummer looks like it has a huge laptop attached to it for the screen. How ar eyou supposed to see over it when avoiding obstacles?! :)
Hummer has cameras under the body for avoiding obstacles, you do not need to look over the screen, or the hood.:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts