Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
If you are asking about existing features that are useless, I think the camp speaker is something I would rarely use. When I'm outdoors, I prefer to listen to the sounds of nature. I would rather have the extra storage space. I think they should just make it an option for those who want it.
You can remove the speaker from the vehicle and leave it at home, which is what I did.

· Registered
5 Posts

We've asked about the feature that gets you all excited; now let's hear about the one that, in your opinion, is completely useless.

~MR 😊
I think as currently built the most useless existing feature is the wireless charging tray/pad. Truly hoping the TWRAPS mag charging pad works as intended. Rivian had a great idea w the wireless charger. Just a giant L. I love my truck. That pad is truly useless :)

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts

We've asked about the feature that gets you all excited; now let's hear about the one that, in your opinion, is completely useless.

~MR 😊
Driver+
PWS
Obviously the power tonneau … goes without saying … junk

Rear seat folded position (like an SUV instead of like a pickup)
Lift-over height of the frunk
Reach-over length of gooseneck hinged tailgate
Bug-eye halo ring around Stadium headlights
Look-at-me horizontal light bars front and rear
Proximity "passive" key unlock sensitivity and repeated lock/unlock falses
Blind corners on 360º overhead "bird's eye" view

Not to leave out the "your appointment is in two months" unprepared service centers.

· Registered
790 Posts
I have heard people complain about their phone sliding around on the wireless charger. Have you figured a way to keep it planted?
The problem seems to me to be mainly from the big bump-out on the back of recent iPhones. That bump-out not only increases the distance to the coils but also reduces the surface area in contact with the pad, which lowers the amount of force it takes to make the phone slide out of position. I do not have an iPhone, but my wife does (An iPhone 13, which has a smaller bump-out). Neither she nor I have a problem charging our phones on the pad.

I think it's important to point out that, despite the complaints, this is not something that affects everyone or is a problem for everyone. The only people who seem to post are the ones with complaints. Those of us who aren't having problems tend not to post about problems we don't have.

I don't do anything special, I just put my phone down, take a few seconds to move it sideways slowly until it syncs with the pad, then I just start driving (this procedure is also what I have always had to do with my several Qi charging pads at home). The most my phone has slid while driving is about an inch, but it keeps charging. When both our phones are on the pad, there's really no place to slide to. And yes, some of my driving has been on gravel and dirt, although I've only put about 3000 miles on my R1T so far.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
The problem seems to me to be mainly from the big bump-out on the back of recent iPhones. That bump-out not only increases the distance to the coils but also reduces the surface area in contact with the pad, which lowers the amount of force it takes to make the phone slide out of position. I do not have an iPhone, but my wife does (An iPhone 13, which has a smaller bump-out). Neither she nor I have a problem charging our phones on the pad.

I think it's important to point out that, despite the complaints, this is not something that affects everyone or is a problem for everyone. The only people who seem to post are the ones with complaints. Those of us who aren't having problems tend not to post about problems we don't have.

I don't do anything special, I just put my phone down, take a few seconds to move it sideways slowly until it syncs with the pad, then I just start driving (this procedure is also what I have always had to do with my several Qi charging pads at home). The most my phone has slid while driving is about an inch, but it keeps charging. When both our phones are on the pad, there's really no place to slide to. And yes, some of my driving has been on gravel and dirt, although I've only put about 3000 miles on my R1T so far.
As far as I can tell, this is a problem that pertains to anyone using the wireless phone charging pad while the vehicle is in motion under just about any circumstances. Even if it's only the annoying noise of the charging repeatedly restarting as the phone (in my case, Android) moves around and loses the induction circuit.

The "solution" is to buy a bracket or 3D print one to suit your particular phones.

In any case, I find the location of the phone useless, it needs to be in view on the dash, but it's not a contender for "most useless" when there's such blunders as the tonneau, the proximity key detection, the cameras that don't stitch together for a 360º view, the gear guard that doesn't capture events, the omission of dashcam functionality … : )

· Registered
790 Posts
As far as I can tell, this is a problem that pertains to anyone using the wireless phone charging pad while the vehicle is in motion under just about any circumstances.
Nope, not a problem for me. I just drove 100 miles today out and back with my phone on the pad. Just for fun I marked the location where I put it using some sidewalk chalk I found in the garage. When I got to my destination, my phone was still exactly where I left it. And it was fully charged by the time I got there. Same story on the way home - no movement, fully charged on the way. Way more convenient than plugging it in with a too-long cord and dropping it in the cup holder, which is what I had to do in my previous vehicle.

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's broken for everyone.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
I don't use the camp speaker but I don't want to say its useless. I just don't use it. I don't use the Rivian fm radio feature.

I bet somebody could come up with a cool pull-out storage tray to take the place of the camp speaker. Anyone?

Maybe even a lockable storage area.
A locking, powered drawer in place of the camp speaker seems like a no-brainer … there's power there, so a built-in USB-C outlet or two, maybe a small battery built into the drawer so it can charge a phone or gopro with the vehicle fully shut down, etc.
I don't see why prime "real estate" (within reach of the driver, middle of the vehicle) is occupied by something only useful while parked for an extended period … it just wasn't thought through. The camp speaker should be in the tunnel or the frunk or a different shape and be a pair of speakers to create stereo and could be under each front seat. Even if it came out the rear of the center console instead of the front. Like the dinky, little spaces in the front the seats (too small to be of use for just about anything … and the vehicle doesn't have a glovebox for typical stuff) just wasn't thought through. Rivian clearly copied the Range Rover, but should have known where to draw the line and improve upon the old (e.g. the awkward opening of the armrest console, the haphazard placement of USB-C outlets, the upside down 12V outlet … all really needed to be thought through.)

· Registered
40 Posts
If you are asking about existing features that are useless, I think the camp speaker is something I would rarely use. When I'm outdoors, I prefer to listen to the sounds of nature. I would rather have the extra storage space. I think they should just make it an option for those who want it.
I actually like that speaker and have used it at least ten times since receiving my truck in May. To each their own.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts