Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as we are sitting around (joke) waiting for our R1Ts or R1Ss (ordered my R1S in mid Sept 2019), we might as well discuss potential issues (besides the lack of max pack and charging network).

Since each wheel has its own motor, does anyone know what happens if/when a motor malfunctions? Could it seize up? Just stop working and freewheel? Obviously, the vehicle should warn the driver, but what would happen to the drivability of the vehicle? Surely Rivian has contemplated these types of scenarios...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping it would simply freewheel and the other motors could compensate especially if you are in the middle of a trip. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if the CS reps will know?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm hoping it would simply freewheel and the other motors could compensate especially if you are in the middle of a trip. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if the CS reps will know?
That is not something they cannot really answer. It would depend what fails, if a bearing seizes it will not freewheel. We know that there is no disconnect for the wheels or you would be able to flat tow them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Of all the things to worry about with Rivian I'd put this potential issue on the bottom of the list. Electric motors are so well-understood, simple, and reliable that something else will strand you well before that will. 12V battery anyone? Buggy software? Bad traction battery? Short of stranding, plenty of other less severe issues will surface for most of us, given the inexperience of the automaker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is not something they cannot really answer. It would depend what fails, if a bearing seizes it will not freewheel. We know that there is no disconnect for the wheels or you would be able to flat tow them.
If a bearing seizes on any car, the wheel doesn't move, correct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Normally it will still move, but it will squeal like crazy! Bearings don't tend to seize really, they just go bad. Normally over a period of time, but they could fail instantly. So you should get warning (weird sounds, wobbling). If they fail catastrophically then that wheel would wobble and make all kinds of horrible sounds, just like on an ICE. Pull over and call the tow truck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is correct, my reference was more to respond that CS could not effectively answer if it would be drivable if it failed.

There are several things on any vehicle, ICE or EV that could fail leaving the vehicle underivable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts