Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I think the CT will get canceled, too much invested in infrastructure at this point to $hit-can it outright. But, it's been over a month since the Cybertruck order/config site went dark removing all prices and configuration choices. So it got me thinking... how many of those 1,000,000+ CT reservation holders would jump in and place a reservation on the R1T?

What say ye?

·
Registered
935 Posts
The reservation is refundable, so I would think many have “hedged their bets”. Risk is minimal. But this is not new, so I think most who will have already done so.

The CT will likely be released, but I expect it to not be at the initially-promised price point and to not really deliver on the impressive claims — especially when adjusting for market advancements in the time between announcement and actual release. In other words, the same play out of the old Tesla playbook that we’ve seen, before.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The CT will likely be released, but I expect it to not be at the initially-promised price point and to not really deliver on the impressive claims — especially when adjusting for market advancements in the time between announcement and actual release.
A classic example of promising too much, too early. Even if the Cybertruck was doable at that price two years ago (unlikely), I think that Tesla was counting on developing economies of scale to keep it at the promised price point. Given the steady increases in price for their exsiting product line I don't think they can sell it for anywhere near the promised price and turn a profit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the big Tesla forum, it seems many will tolerate up to a 10% price increase.. but if Tesla pushes past that it may be a hard sell. One of the major selling point of the CT was the reasonable price.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looking at the big Tesla forum, it seems many will tolerate up to a 10% price increase.. but if Tesla pushes past that it may be a hard sell. One of the major selling point of the CT was the reasonable price.
Tesla needs to make a lot of changes to the prototype if it is to become a mainstream truck. If they do pull it off, watch out clause it will sell like hotakes.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If price goes up by 10% I doubt Tesla will lose people to an extent it would actually concern them. The Cybertruck is also a global product, so not much of a loss whatever they end up doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess is the price of the CT will likely go up significantly more than 10% (likely closer to 30% from where it originally started). Even the non-performance Model Y and Model 3 are $60k and $50k respectively. There's no way a CT (even the base one) will be under $79k. The tri-motor will likely be six figures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not that I think the CT will get canceled, too much invested in infrastructure at this point to $hit-can it outright. But, it's been over a month since the Cybertruck order/config site went dark removing all prices and configuration choices. So it got me thinking... how many of those 1,000,000+ CT reservation holders would jump in and place a reservation on the R1T?

What say ye?
I have a reservation on both Rivian and CT. Waiting to see which is a better fit for what I do. Most likely will be the rivian. But if Tesla can pull off more range and better off road performance, we will see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't forget that Elon flat-out lied about the Cybertruck - twice the range, half the price, delivery in early 2021 months BEFORE the Rivian, and unbreakable windows ... None of those things was true, but of course we won't know for sure for at least a year until the Cybertruck is ready to ship and has real specifications ...

This is just more of Musk's market manipulation - mendaciously undermining potential rivals for his own benefit. And Elon is still going on about his vast experience with manufacturing, deigning to give Rivian advice on how the real-world differs from expectations. If Elon is really that wise, then how does he explain his epic fail at the Cybertruck delivery date?

I personally would NEVER buy a Cybertruck, even if it were available today and even if the Rivian were still 5 years away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't forget that Elon flat-out lied about the Cybertruck - twice the range, half the price, delivery in early 2021 months BEFORE the Rivian, and unbreakable windows ... None of those things was true, but of course we won't know for sure for at least a year until the Cybertruck is ready to ship and has real specifications ...

This is just more of Musk's market manipulation - mendaciously undermining potential rivals for his own benefit. And Elon is still going on about his vast experience with manufacturing, deigning to give Rivian advice on how the real-world differs from expectations. If Elon is really that wise, then how does he explain his epic fail at the Cybertruck delivery date?

I personally would NEVER buy a Cybertruck, even if it were available today and even if the Rivian were still 5 years away.
Ok. We have 1 on the NO side.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't forget that Elon flat-out lied about the Cybertruck - twice the range, half the price, delivery in early 2021 months BEFORE the Rivian, and unbreakable windows ... None of those things was true...
I look at Elon as half PT Barnum half Robert Oppenheimer... he can promote like no other, but he mostly delivers (late)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts