Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
On a related note, I am expecting delivery of my R1T next month and was wondering about home charging. I have a 240v 50A outlet in my garage so what is the advantage of the hardwired Rivian' charger over just plugging in with the cord in the frunk?
The mobile EVSE is limited to 32A, so that's ~16 miles of range per hour.

Hardwired, assuming your panel/wiring can support a 60A breaker then you can get ~24 miles of range per hour.

Hardwired is also safer.

· Registered
43 Posts
The mobile EVSE is limited to 32A, so that's ~16 miles of range per hour.

Hardwired, assuming your panel/wiring can support a 60A breaker then you can get ~24 miles of range per hour.

Hardwired is also safer.
Thanks for the input. I think I am eligible for a rebate from the power company for the hardwired so I probably just go ahead and have it installed.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
On a related note, I am expecting delivery of my R1T next month and was wondering about home charging. I have a 240v 50A outlet in my garage so what is the advantage of the hardwired Rivian' charger over just plugging in with the cord in the frunk?
Your "mobile cord" in the frunk is just that; the cord you have with you out on the road for if/when you need it. If it is plugged into the wall in your garage, you don't have it with you when you need it. Plugging it in and unplugging it to put it back into your frunk every time you use the vehicle gets old fast, and pushes your 14-50 outlet quickly beyond it's designed duty cycle (400 cycles).

Best practice is the leave your mobile cord in your frunk and have a an EVSE on you wall for daily use, even if you end up just plugging the wall unit into your 14-50 outlet (which is common).

Pro tip, use a Tesla wall unit. It has better features and costs less than Rivian's unit.

· Registered
43 Posts
Your "mobile cord" in the frunk is just that; the cord you have with you out on the road for if/when you need it. If it is plugged into the wall in your garage, you don't have it with you when you need it. Plugging it in and unplugging it to put it back into your frunk every time you use the vehicle gets old fast, and pushes your 14-50 outlet quickly beyond it's designed duty cycle (400 cycles).

Best practice is the leave your mobile cord in your frunk and have a an EVSE on you wall for daily use, even if you end up just plugging the wall unit into your 14-50 outlet (which is common).

Pro tip, use a Tesla wall unit. It has better features and costs less than Rivian's unit.
Thanks

· Registered
2022 R1T, delivered Dec 2022, Limestone/Ocean Coast, large battery, underbody shield, 20”
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
With the mobile charger you are limited to 12-14 'miles per hour' of charging whereas the wall charger with a 50A circuit plugged into the outlet will get you 18-19 mph - that's based on my experience. With a 60A circuit and a hard wired installation I think you can get closer to 24-25 mph. My electric utility provides a Chargepoint wall charger at no cost so it's worth checking to see if yours does the same - especially since in your case you'd have zero installation costs.

It's entirely possible that charging at the lower rate will be enough for you but I still wouldn't want to be constantly plugging and unplugging my mobile charger so that I had it with me in case I needed to use public charging.

· Registered
10 Posts
Before I had my Rivian Wall charger installed, I used a 50amp plug I have to charge my Rivian with the Rivian portable charger (with 50amp plug i recall the hard wire to my 60amp was much better of course).

i Dwonder if a hardwire 50amp will be better than portable charger 50amp….

interested to hear why the Tesla charger is better? You peaked my interest.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
Before I had my Rivian Wall charger installed, I used a 50amp plug I have to charge my Rivian with the Rivian portable charger (with 50amp plug i recall the hard wire to my 60amp was much better of course).

i Dwonder if a hardwire 50amp will be better than portable charger 50amp….

interested to hear why the Tesla charger is better? You peaked my interest.
Here's the thing about EVs. Once you have one, chances are you're going to have another one. One of the critical features that the Rivian EVSE does not have and the Tesla does, is the ability to powershare with a second EVSE. When your wife wants her own EV, all you have to do is to install a second (less expensive) Tesla unit and tie it into the first; you don't have to run a whole other line to your distribution box.

One example of a better feature set. The Tesla unit also has advanced temperature and voltage sensing, and can reduce power to the vehicle if it senses a problem. Tesla has been at this a long time, and is building about as bulletproof an EVSE as you can find anywhere.

Did I mention that it costs less? That is the power of volume.
👍😁

21 - 30 of 30 Posts