Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Happy R1T owner here and simply not a chance of me selling my new favorite thing. But... I did throw my name on the Lightning pre-order list just for shits and giggles - in case Rivian didn't come through. And now I have a VIN assigned. Oh and it's en-route to my San Diego dealer. :oops:

From reading reviews, I'm completely uninterested in the F150 for a number of reasons. However, I'm trying to gauge whether I should just buy and resell (Lariat trim), or just take back my deposit and run. Clearly the price is appreciating in the used market thanks to rarity, but the whole "no resale" clause Ford introduced seems worrisome - even though I can't see how that can possibly be enforced. Another thing I read on forums is the option of coming to some sort of deal with the dealer whereby they take it off your hands (eliminating you from even being a previous owner) while opening up a huge markup opportunity for them on a "new" car.

I'm sure others must find themselves in a similar position to me, so just wanted to ask what folks generally do here? I'm no scalper - traditionally - but these used market appreciations are hard to see past, especially for a vehicle I have no quibbles about parting with 🤑💰

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would definitely take advantage of the seller-friendly market. I think the "no resale" clause was just a scare tactic, and haven't actually seen it implemented by any dealers (although, I am sure some are out there). If you check CarsAndBids or any other online auctions, these are selling with pretty significant markups, and considering the increase in the 2023 model year, I have a feeling the market for them will get even hotter.

I am also in San Diego, so if you decide to just take your deposit and run, perhaps we can work something out, as I would gladly take over your reservation (I know you can't directly take over a reservation), but I am sure there is something that could be figured out (even if you had to buy it, and I would rebuy it from you right away).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey all. Happy R1T owner here and simply not a chance of me selling my new favorite thing. But... I did throw my name on the Lightning pre-order list just for shits and giggles - in case Rivian didn't come through. And now I have a VIN assigned. Oh and it's en-route to my San Diego dealer. :oops:

From reading reviews, I'm completely uninterested in the F150 for a number of reasons. However, I'm trying to gauge whether I should just buy and resell (Lariat trim), or just take back my deposit and run. Clearly the price is appreciating in the used market thanks to rarity, but the whole "no resale" clause Ford introduced seems worrisome - even though I can't see how that can possibly be enforced. Another thing I read on forums is the option of coming to some sort of deal with the dealer whereby they take it off your hands (eliminating you from even being a previous owner) while opening up a huge markup opportunity for them on a "new" car.

I'm sure others must find themselves in a similar position to me, so just wanted to ask what folks generally do here? I'm no scalper - traditionally - but these used market appreciations are hard to see past, especially for a vehicle I have no quibbles about parting with 🤑💰
Ask the dealer if they would buy you out. Mine offered me $20k to walk away from my order as they had a buyer in line.

Most of the folks I know were able to get their trucks without having to sign the resale documentation, so you could always flip it yourself as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts