Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if there have been any discussions on the Tonneau cover? Seems like it wasn't working on many of the display vehicles that have been available. Was told not to touch it at the First Drive event. Seeing owner videos where it's already not working.

Haven't auto tonneau covers been around for a while? Not sure why Rivian appears to be having such issues with it?

Has Rivian addressed the issue and what the fix is?

It's one of the reasons I chose the Adventure over the Explore configuration, but now wondering if the manual one would be better. Can you manually close the automatic one if it breaks? Or is it stuck in that position?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like it gets stuck. It's an odd system where panels stack onto each other from what I can tell from videos.

I'm guessing they get stuck in the tracks or slip out of a gear or something.

It's a major part of my decision to go with explore. I don't want a broken tonneau cover every 3 months. And certainly not a minute after warranty is up. I much rather a manual system.

That said nobody has seen the manual system either so no idea how that's going to work... they should have went with a thick vinyl that rolls up imo.

But I've read a lot about ppl wanting a solid piece for safety. I don't live in a place where theft is an issue so it's the least of my worries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Curious if there have been any discussions on the Tonneau cover? Seems like it wasn't working on many of the display vehicles that have been available. Was told not to touch it at the First Drive event. Seeing owner videos where it's already not working.

Haven't auto tonneau covers been around for a while? Not sure why Rivian appears to be having such issues with it?

It's one of the reasons I chose the Adventure over the Explore configuration, but now wondering if the manual one would be better. Can you manually close the automatic one if it breaks? Or is it stuck in that position?
Haven't heard about this problem. I am in the "1st half of 2023" Club for my Adventure Max Pack so hopefully the issues are resolved by then. I live in snow & dust Country so I don't want to have to clean the tracks every time I need to shut it.

·
Registered
R1T Adv Lg Preorder, Forest Green/Ocean
13 Posts
In a recent video featuring production vehicles, they pointed out that the design of the cover itself has changed from preproduction. There's sort of a cover over the metal slats that could possibly help protect the cover and allow it to open/close more easily. Might have been in the Chicago auto detailer's video.

I am a little worried about it since I live in a snow/ice area. Wonder if they'll let us opt for manual when it comes time for final configuration if there's still issues. But I'd like all of the other Adventure options.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have had my rivian for about two months. I did start having issues with the tonneau closing after about 2 weeks of using in in our El Paso desert climate. I recently had one of the service centers take a look at it and they cleaned it and greased/oiled it. It is currently working but you can tell that it is trying to stick again. It is usually about 3 slats into opening. I will say that pushing it with your hand as it is closing seems to get it through the spot where it tends to stick. I still like the ability to open and close automatically. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have had my rivian for about two months. I did start having issues with the tonneau closing after about 2 weeks of using in in our El Paso desert climate. I recently had one of the service centers take a look at it and they cleaned it and greased/oiled it. It is currently working but you can tell that it is trying to stick again. It is usually about 3 slats into opening. I will say that pushing it with your hand as it is closing seems to get it through the spot where it tends to stick. I still like the ability to open and close automatically. We will see how it goes.
Have you noticed any scratches on it from opening and closing it often enough? It seems to be an issue with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, Rivian had two of their trucks on display the the FSAE Michigan competition on May18-21 and one had a broken tonneau cover. The leaves were closed on one side and about a 14” (thats not 1/4” but 14”)gap on the other. You could clearly see a small (1/16” aircraft cable that had snapped. I took a picture if you’re interested. This was the same event that Tesla showed up with a Cybertruck at.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
It definitely needs some help. I'm only a day in and it's popping pretty hard as it stacks- more so than it did at delivery. The last open it stopped with 2 sections still exposed. I closed it no problem and will likely leave it there. I did notice that draft must pull dust directly into it's storage area because after a short drive I opened it then closed it and it came out 3-4x's dustier than it went in.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably not a bad idea to get one of those California microfiber dusters and run it across the Tonneau cover before opening it. Of course, also making sure there aren't any larger items sitting on it.

Sounds like it will be a high-maintenance item and one that could get costly for Rivian. Would assume they'll get tired of replacing them and hopefully come up with an improved version that can be swapped out when trucks are brought in for warranty related tonneau cover issues.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine broken on the day of delivery. It's stuck in a semi-open position. I'm still waiting for a service date.
That sucks. Tonneau covers are nothing new. Seems odd that a vehicle manufacturer would have such common issues with such an item. Can't imagine what their warranty repair / replacement costs are going to add up to. Surprised it hasn't been solved by now as it appears to have been an issue since day one, years ago.

Hopefully they get yours fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That sucks. Tonneau covers are nothing new. Seems odd that a vehicle manufacturer would have such common issues with such an item. Can't imagine what their warranty repair / replacement costs are going to add up to. Surprised it hasn't been solved by now as it appears to have been an issue since day one, years ago.

Hopefully they get yours fixed ASAP.
According to the latest forum poll on this issue. Only about 25% of owners experiencing cover issues which is pretty high but not as high as some had predicted (70-90% failure rates). It still sucks to have this issue from day one. I was very excited to show my new ride to many of my friends and colleagues but now I'm embarrassed to even drive it out : (

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
25% is VERY high. Imagine if 25% of trucks had a motor failure. That's a huge percentage when you're talking about something failing. 1% is on the high side. I do hope that find a resolution for it.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
Mine hasn't broken yet, but it snaps hard on the last 2 leafs. Since I knew about the issue, I always put my hand on the back and and help it in and stop it before the last leaf goes in. I'm thinking many of us are doing something similar is why that 25% isn't higher. Or they just aren't opening/closing it at all just in case.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or they just aren't opening/closing it at all just in case.
I was going to add the same statement in my prior message. Probably true. My thinking however, it's under warranty, might as well use it up while they'll replace it. Hopefully, with enough replacements, they'll be eager to find a true fix for them.
Wondering if some type of small squeegee type thing installed where it slides into the container might help keep stuff out? Basically to scrape off the panels before they enter. Just a thought. How to execute? Beyond my pay grade! LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can you manually close it if it breaks partly open? I can imagine a scenario where you need to close it to put something big in the bed and it breaks. Are you just SOL? Or can you kind of help the cover to close? It would then be stuck in the closed position until Rivian can repair it, but probably better than having it partly open.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you manually close it if it breaks partly open? I can imagine a scenario where you need to close it to put something big in the bed and it breaks. Are you just SOL? Or can you kind of help the cover to close? It would then be stuck in the closed position until Rivian can repair it, but probably better than having it partly open.
My guess would be, depends on the reason it won't open/close. If the motor is working and it's just stuck on something, probably could give it an assist. But, from what I've read so far, if it's actually broken, then you're on the SOL side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts