Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was also concerned when I saw that. I looked at another pic (that I can't find now) that you can see it better. It does not appear to be open to the wheel well so it might allow air through, but it's shielded with some plastic or something in the well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also concerned when I saw that. I looked at another pic (that I can't find now) that you can see it better. It does not appear to be open to the wheel well so it might allow air through, but it's shielded with some plastic or something in the well.
That's reassuring

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
You can see at the body line there is some paint protection film on that area as well. I'm sure someone will come up with a screen or something that could be installed in there to still allow air, but prevent rocks. Shouldn't be too hard to 3D print something to fit in there.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
I'd be concerned that 3D printed mesh wouldn't have the necessary strength to handle a rock strike.
There is enough depth that you could make the mesh pretty robust. Also depends on your choice of material. Other option would be a laser cut piece of stainless. Definitely some options, and I imagine there will be something available either from a forum member or an aftermarket company.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Boy that's the biggest panel gaps I've seen! Oh!, you mean that black opening? I cannot imagine that it would be open even with a screen. Imagine the slush and dirt it would throw onto the door and the side of the vehicle. I do think that it does have some function otherwise it wouldn't be there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone else worried about what road rocks, salt and snow will do to the paint with this gap? Assuming the R1S has it too View attachment 3458

I had the same concern and posted it on another section: ***Rivian Front Wheel Well / Splash guard with large...

Well aware it is for air flow but an early image of the Rivian showed a screen in this area probably to prevent debris from hitting the area around the door. See above link. They will need to come up with a long term design plan here because I am very confident pebbles/debris will deteriorate the paint around the opening. Some vehicle manufacturers include PPF (Plastic protective film) around high impact areas. Let's see what Rivian proposes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same concerns. We get tons of road salt in winter and I'm concerned about what it will do to the paint in this area long term. I guess the warranty is a bit reassuring but still..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same concerns. We get tons of road salt in winter and I'm concerned about what it will do to the paint in this area long term. I guess the warranty is a bit reassuring but still..
If you are referring to the 8 year/unlimited mile corrosion warranty, I am pretty confident that paint chips from road debris are not covered under this warranty. Other manufacturers have a similar warranty but their coverage is for rust.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you are referring to the 8 year/unlimited mile corrosion warranty, I am pretty confident that paint chips from road debris are not covered under this warranty. Other manufacturers have a similar warranty but their coverage is for rust.
Yep. Actually even surface rust isn't covered... The panel must become "perforated" (a hole through the panel created by rust) before the warranty would cover it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well this would seem like a major flaw for an expensive luxury vehicle then.. would love to know what Rivian has to say about it. I will contact them at some point as it is so far the only issue that would make me reconsider my pre order

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same concern and posted it on another section: ***Rivian Front Wheel Well / Splash guard with large...

Well aware it is for air flow but an early image of the Rivian showed a screen in this area probably to prevent debris from hitting the area around the door. See above link. They will need to come up with a long term design plan here because I am very confident pebbles/debris will deteriorate the paint around the opening. Some vehicle manufacturers include PPF (Plastic protective film) around high impact areas. Let's see what Rivian proposes.
You can make out the edge of PPF at the body line in the picture in the first post. There have been other pictures posted that made it a little more clear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.