Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First cars are special and memorable. They teach us life lessons, and for many of us, they've seen us through many important events in our lives. They leave a mark, for good or bad, and sometimes we love and hate our first cars just like a family member.

What's your first car story?

· Registered
R1S
11 Posts
My first car was a deep blue ‘65 Chevelle. 283cc V8, 3 spd. on the column. Bought it for $500 after working the summer as a tour guide in a local cave. Ran great! I could even chirp the tires shifting into 2nd.
Sold it to my younger brother for $500 when I left for college….who similarly sold it to my father when he left. My father also sold it for $500 (the world’s only non-depreciating car).
Years later, I happened upon it, parked outside of the staff entrance to a local restaurant. It was rusted out and sad looking. Brought a tear to my eye…

· Registered
102 Posts
Mine was a rusted out '59 Willys Jeep with a flathead 4. My father paid $500 for it. That summer my father arranged for me to work for a fabrication shop at which I learned about fabricating metal body panels, welding, bondo, priming, and painting. Great experience. Later we added a 3 speed floor shifter, convertible top, chrome lugs, full vinyl tonneau, and seat covers. Great vehicle for a young guy starting out. Wish I had it today.

· Registered
41 Posts
I tried to buy a 68 Camaro Rally Sport from my neighbor but that was nixed by my parents as they said I was not able to see over the steering wheel but thru it. Beautiful dark blue. I then was able to buy a 1966 Mustang 289cc, 3 speed manual tranny, white with red interior. I had to sell it (for $300 ‘sigh’) when I moved out of state for school. Loved that car.

· Registered
14 Posts
After spending two years in the Peace Corps, the agency gave me a check for $2400. I spent it all on a 1967 Triumph Spitfire (red w/removable hardtop) that I had shipped from the factory to the US. That car helped me woo a lady who became my wife. She and I are still together - but the car and I parted once we had our first child. What a fun car that was!

· Registered
20 Posts
When it came time for my first car, my dad thought I'd be more comfortable in a really safe car (I just spent 6 weeks in the hospital after a collision between my bike and an old Chevy). Saab at the time was dropping cars on their rooftops to show how tough the passenger compartment was (didn't have anything to do with his girlfriend at the time having a buddy who was a Saab dealer, sure..), so I got a used 99LE Hatchback. The Scab was a great first car - drove the hell out of it. The name came from the oxidized maroon paint job - Phoenix heat and sun can be hell on paint. Found out that I could put 8 people in that car, as long as Karl was in the way back...

· Registered
2 Posts
My first car, if you consider it a car, was a Trabant 601. 26 horse power, 0-60 in 21 seconds.
Born and raised in east Germany that is what most people drove. So light that we could play pranks with our teachers’ cars by putting them on bricks. Repairs were done by the owner,
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

· Registered
R1S Adventure (ordered 10/27/21 Est Del 4Q 23), Red Canyon. Genesis GV 60 Mauna Red (bought 9/10/22)
141 Posts
I tried to buy a 68 Camaro Rally Sport from my neighbor
My first was a 68 Firebird convertible.

Bought it in Chicago when I was in the Navy. Had it shipped to Hawaii when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor.

I left the Navy and the car in HI.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
80 Posts
I told my dad about a blue MGB Midget at the local dealer. Used in good shape. He purchased the car and my friend and I went to pick it up because I don’t think he drove a 4 Speed and certainly hadn’t recently.
We get to the dealer to find a a brand new MGB waiting for me. Wow
1965 MGB. Blue with a blue leather interior. And a blue construct a top meaning you had to erect the frame and slip it into the side slots and lay the top across and start snapping.
I drive that car for years.
My mother thought that driving a small open car would be dangerous so we remedied the situation with a custom roll bar.
As long as I had the roll bar….off to Bridgehampton and SCCA driving school. Anyway that was my first car love affair. The first of many. I can still picture that little car today.

· Registered
20 Posts
Maroon 1946 Mercury, first production model off the line after the war. Flathead 59A block made maybe 100 HP. I was sixteen in 1957 and bought it used to learn how to drive. Drove it illegally for a year til I got my license. My sister totalled it when I went off to college.

· Registered
68 Posts
My first was a 68 Firebird convertible.
Nice . . . my first car was a '68 Camaro Convertible, total rust bucket, but at 16 I didn't care.

After an accident, I spent the better part of my Senior Year of HS restoring it . . . when we took it to have it painted the owner of the shop asked who did the body work, I proudly stated I had done it all myself . . . his response, "Son, this looks like 10 miles of bad road" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Needless to say, he had to redo all my hard work so his paint job would look half way decent. I ended up selling to a friend of mine after I got out of the Army and he still has it to this day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts