Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For those that have to deal with Winter and prepare for the elements, what does your prep plan look like? Do you have a certain date that you swap out your tires? Do you just give up and store your car for the Winter? Do you have an emergency kit that you have to get ready?

Let us know how you prepared for battle with Old Man Winter!

~MR

· Registered
5 Posts
Parked and plugged in inside a heated garage overnight:D I nicknamed it an "incubator start". Also assembled a kit of charging adapters and signed up for every charging network I could find. I wish the Rivian Route planner gave us more liberty with choosing our own stops (at any network or even private chargers) and conditioned the battery accordingly.

· Registered
50 Posts
Also assembled a kit of charging adapters and signed up for every charging network I could find.
which adapters did you buy? would you mind providing some links fi they are the type that plug into one end of an extension cord? on another thread, someone mentioned a 10 or 6 AWG 50' extension cord, and a few adapters for things like RV chargers and electric dryer plugs. I haven't bought those yet but would like to do so if I knew which were the likeliest to have to use.

I did already buy (But haven't used any yet):
1) an adapter to use Tesla destination chargers
2) a sprinkler head cover that I had to cut a hole on one head to cover charger handle when plugged into outdoor wall charger and the truck, because apparently a few weeks ago ice got under the handle of the charger and I had to use a hair dryer to melt the ice to be able to depress the handle
3) a variable temperature heat gun...see #2, though I do need to get the extension cord to actually use it from the truck's outlets

· Registered
5 Posts
which adapters did you buy? would you mind providing some links fi they are the type that plug into one end of an extension cord? on another thread, someone mentioned a 10 or 6 AWG 50' extension cord, and a few adapters for things like RV chargers and electric dryer plugs. I haven't bought those yet but would like to do so if I knew which were the likeliest to have to use.

2) a sprinkler head cover that I had to cut a hole on one head to cover charger handle when plugged into outdoor wall charger and the truck, because apparently a few weeks ago ice got under the handle of the charger and I had to use a hair dryer to melt the ice to be able to depress the handle
3) a variable temperature heat gun...see #2, though I do need to get the extension cord to actually use it from the truck's outlets
Hi,

Using the NEMA 14-50 pigtail on the Rivian Portable charger as the goal, you can adapt the dozens of other NEMA outlets to this with many of the adapters available out there on Amazon or eBay. Of course, you would never want to pull more than (80% I think) the rated capacity of the circuit you are adapting to. For example, I found one that works with the 50amp Stove Outlet at our cabin. I purchased a 30ft 50amp RV extension Cord to make the connection out the door to the portable charger. The Tesla Adapter sounds like a must, I have not gotten one of them yet.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

Using the NEMA 14-50 pigtail on the Rivian Portable charger as the goal, you can adapt the dozens of other NEMA outlets to this with many of the adapters available out there on Amazon or eBay. Of course, you would never want to pull more than (80% I think) the rated capacity of the circuit you are adapting to. For example, I found one that works with the 50amp Stove Outlet at our cabin. I purchased a 30ft 50amp RV extension Cord to make the connection out the door to the portable charger. The Tesla Adapter sounds like a must, I have not gotten one of them yet.
yes, was just asking opinions on what I was most likely to need/run into out in the wild if I find myself in a pinch. I would think RV park would be one likely emergency stop. Not sure what else? I don't have a situation like your cabin where I know I could benefit from something specific. So prioritizing $, not sure which 2 or 3 adapters I should buy in addition to the heavy duty extension cord.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
yes, was just asking opinions on what I was most likely to need/run into out in the wild if I find myself in a pinch. I would think RV park would be one likely emergency stop. Not sure what else? I don't have a situation like your cabin where I know I could benefit from something specific. So prioritizing $, not sure which 2 or 3 adapters I should buy in addition to the heavy duty extension cord.
I used to travel with a self-assembled "NEMA kit", one of those "don't leave home without it" things as an early adopter EVist.

Now days, Tesla makes it easy with their mobile EVSE + NEMA kit:

Since you should already have the Tesla>J1772 adapter in your truck, this kit allows you to plug into literally any NEMA outlet you find in the US; even really rare ones. The kit is cheaper to buy from Tesla than it would cost to assemble yourself, and you get a really high-end setup:
-EVSE automatically detects outlet capability, and adjusts. No guessing or blown breakers.
-EVSE has temperature sensors in the heads, allowing it to automatically derate itself if the outlet is worn and starts to heat up.
-EVSE monitors line condition, and again, will derate if it detects a problem. A common scenario is low voltage at campgrounds when all the RVs turn on their AC. When this happens, the EVSE will back down the draw until it is safe to ramp it back up again.

I carry this setup in every EV, not just my Tesla. Did I mention it is pretty hard to beat the price?
;)

· Registered
6 Posts

I agree with your comment on a Tesla Adapter! I'll go on to say the companies should get together and "Standardize Input Plug Design!" I've been in IT for decades and remember the "Horror" of all the different serial, parallel, USB 1-2-3 etc and now all use a "Common Input!"

· Registered
50 Posts
I used to travel with a self-assembled "NEMA kit", one of those "don't leave home without it" things as an early adopter EVist.

Now days, Tesla makes it easy with their mobile EVSE + NEMA kit:

Since you should already have the Tesla>J1772 adapter in your truck, this kit allows you to plug into literally any NEMA outlet you find in the US; even really rare ones. The kit is cheaper to buy from Tesla than it would cost to assemble yourself, and you get a really high-end setup:
-EVSE automatically detects outlet capability, and adjusts. No guessing or blown breakers.
-EVSE has temperature sensors in the heads, allowing it to automatically derate itself if the outlet is worn and starts to heat up.
-EVSE monitors line condition, and again, will derate if it detects a problem. A common scenario is low voltage at campgrounds when all the RVs turn on their AC. When this happens, the EVSE will back down the draw until it is safe to ramp it back up again.

I carry this setup in every EV, not just my Tesla. Did I mention it is pretty hard to beat the price?
;)
hang on, this is getting interesting :).
this is what I bought:

so would I need both of the things you listed from Tesla or just the adapter bundle?
My use case for what I bought was to pull up to a level2 Tesla charger and be able to use it.
my intended use case for anything else I bought, including an extension cord, would be to plug into an RV park or someone's clothes dryer plug.

Sorry to be dense here, just trying to optimize what I buy, including an outdoor heavy duty extension cord.

· Registered
95 Posts
hang on, this is getting interesting :).
this is what I bought:

so would I need both of the things you listed from Tesla or just the adapter bundle?
My use case for what I bought was to pull up to a level2 Tesla charger and be able to use it.
my intended use case for anything else I bought, including an extension cord, would be to plug into an RV park or someone's clothes dryer plug.

Sorry to be dense here, just trying to optimize what I buy, including an outdoor heavy duty extension cord.
You need both items for the complete kit.

The NEMA kit contains all the dog bones for any plug you should ever encounter. The mobile evse is what those plug into to then get that juice to your vehicle. If you want to simplify your extension cord needs, buy one single j1772 extension cord, and that will extend your reach from any plug that you find. In other words, you don't need an extension cord for each type of plug, it will work with anything from the smallest 110 plug to a 1450.
😎

· Registered
50 Posts
ok I think I understand the difference in what you guys are saying.
what I bought was simply a handle to plug a Tesla L2 charger into my rivian. What someone recommended on another rivian forum was to buy an extension cord to extend Rivian's own mobile charger plug from a variety of different outlets to the truck..
what I think you are recommending is a way to extend the Tesla charger from lots of different plugs then plug that into my rivian via the lectron adapter that I bought.
I wonder which way would have fewer problems....it seems like relying on the Tesla conversion might be more prone to error than just using solely the rivian charger with an extension cord and different NEMA connectors?

· Registered
95 Posts
ok I think I understand the difference in what you guys are saying.
what I bought was simply a handle to plug a Tesla L2 charger into my rivian. What someone recommended on another rivian forum was to buy an extension cord to extend Rivian's own mobile charger plug from a variety of different outlets to the truck..
what I think you are recommending is a way to extend the Tesla charger from lots of different plugs then plug that into my rivian via the lectron adapter that I bought.
I wonder which way would have fewer problems....it seems like relying on the Tesla conversion might be more prone to error than just using solely the rivian charger with an extension cord and different NEMA connectors?
Nope. The J1772 extension is a "Rivian formated" extension, probably what your other friend was recommending. What you don't want is a NEMA extension cord, like a 14-50 cord. It locks you into that format, and they are not really built for the sustained loads of an EVSE.

Here is a visual, assuming you have a dryer plug that you wish to use:

[Dryer Plug]>[Matching NEMA adapter from your NEMA kit]>[Tesla mobile EVSE]>[your Tesla-to-J1772 adaptor]>[J1772 extension cord (if needed)]>[Truck]

Tesla's rely on adaptors to plug into CCS/J1772 stations every day by the thousands. I am not aware of a single failure, these adaptors are made for high, sustained loads and do their jobs well (as long as you buy a quality brand).

· Registered
50 Posts
Nope. The J1772 extension is a "Rivian formated" extension, probably what your other friend was recommending. What you don't want is a NEMA extension cord, like a 14-50 cord. It locks you into that format, and they are not really built for the sustained loads of an EVSE.

Here is a visual, assuming you have a dryer plug that you wish to use:

[Dryer Plug]>[Matching NEMA adapter from your NEMA kit]>[Tesla mobile EVSE]>[your Tesla-to-J1772 adaptor]>[J1772 extension cord (if needed)]>[Truck]

Tesla's rely on adaptors to plug into CCS/J1772 stations every day by the thousands. I am not aware of a single failure, these adaptors are made for high, sustained loads and do their jobs well (as long as you buy a quality brand).
I appreciate the patience.
what I was proposing was:
[Dryer Plug]>NEMA adapter>Rivian Mobile Charger>Truck
if more length is needed ("that's what she said", can't resist)
[Dryer Plug]>NEMA adapter>extension cord that presumably ends in a 240v>Rivian Mobile Charger>Truck

I guess your point is, since I already have bought the Tesla adapter, I can just do what you said simply with those kits.

· Registered
95 Posts
The NEMA kit that I use is married to the Tesla mobile EVSE. It is far superior to the ragtag NEMA adapters that I put together in kits back in the day. The Tesla kit specifically fits the Tesla EVSE however, so you cannot omit that part if you're going to use that setup. The only way to use this kit is the way I described.

If you are going to use the Rivian mobile adapter, you would need to assemble your own kit of nema adapters the way I used to. Results can be flaky, and the rivian mobile adapter will not configure itself based on the NEMA plug. Nor will it test the circuits the way the Tesla EVSE will. People do it (I did for years), but there are risks and hazards involved.

· Registered
50 Posts
The NEMA kit that I use is married to the Tesla mobile EVSE. It is far superior to the ragtag NEMA adapters that I put together in kits back in the day. The Tesla kit specifically fits the Tesla EVSE however, so you cannot omit that part if you're going to use that setup. The only way to use this kit is the way I described.

If you are going to use the Rivian mobile adapter, you would need to assemble your own kit of nema adapters the way I used to. Results can be flaky, and the rivian mobile adapter will not configure itself based on the NEMA plug. Nor will it test the circuits the way the Tesla EVSE will. People do it (I did for years), but there are risks and hazards involved.
Gotcha, thank you.

· Registered
149 Posts
[Dryer Plug]>NEMA adapter>extension cord that presumably ends in a 240v>Rivian Mobile Charger>Truck
I think @seanrarey is saying to NOT do that

The better option is:
[Dryer Plug]>NEMA adapter>Rivian Mobile Charger>[J1772 extension cord]>Truck

This gives you a few advantages:
1. The J1772 extension cord will be designed for the high demand of vehicle charging
2. You can use it with any J1772 EVSE plugged into whatever receptacle is on the other side of it (not stuck with a 14-30 or 14-50 only cord)

· Registered
149 Posts
Also note that a "dryer receptacle" in the US is a NEMA 10-30 or 14-30. The Rivian mobile charger cannot directly plug into either or those, so the "NEMA adapter" that we're talking about in that context is NOT the "dogbone" part of the Tesla kit @seanrarey is talking about, but is instead a separate piece that converts a 10-30 or 14-30 receptacle into a 14-50 like this:

Further note that electric clothes dryers in the US are 30-amp appliances so if you plug into one of those you will need to set the truck to limit charging to 24 amps.

The 14-50 plug that's included with the Rivian mobile charger plugs into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle which in the US is typically used for electric ovens. So if you are trying to refer to the receptacle that the Rivian EVSE connects to, a better shorthand would be "oven receptacle" instead of "dryer receptacle."

· Registered
95 Posts
Also note that a "dryer receptacle" in the US is a NEMA 10-30 or 14-30. The Rivian mobile charger cannot directly plug into either or those, so the "NEMA adapter" that we're talking about in that context is NOT the "dogbone" part of the Tesla kit @seanrarey is talking about, but is instead a separate piece that converts a 10-30 or 14-30 receptacle into a 14-50 like this:

Further note that electric clothes dryers in the US are 30-amp appliances so if you plug into one of those you will need to set the truck to limit charging to 24 amps.

The 14-50 plug that's included with the Rivian mobile charger plugs into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle which in the US is typically used for electric ovens. So if you are trying to refer to the receptacle that the Rivian EVSE connects to, a better shorthand would be "oven receptacle" instead of "dryer receptacle."
All extremely good points. All of that said, I would like to circle back around to the original reason for the recommendation:

-Building a DYI kit of "dogbones" will likely cost more than buying Tesla's setup, and is dangerous (yes, the hazards can be managed if you know what you are doing).

-Buying Tesla's kit will likely cost you less, you end up with a safe, proven setup, it will do all the calculations for you and comes in super tidy stow cases. When you need it, it just works.

:giggle:

· Registered
2022 R1T, delivered Dec 2022, Limestone/Ocean Coast, large battery, underbody shield, 20”
44 Posts
Oof - this thread made me feel dense. I bought a heavy duty extension cord “50A-125/250V NEMA 14-50 plug” to use with my Rivian mobile charger as a back on long trips but it looks like I’ll need the 14-30 adapter suggested here for things like dryer outlets - got it - but I could still plug into a 50A outlet like at an a RV park. I also bought the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter.

Sorry but I’m still a bit lost on the need for the Tesla kits - why would I want a Tesla mobile charger, or a set of NEMA adapters for a Tesla charger?

thanks guys - I really did read this through several times - and looked at all of the links.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts