Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
R1T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Rivian wheels are custom and expensive.. has anyone considered yet if wheel locks are needed on a Rivian? (I'm thinking the usual serpentine patterned lug nuts used my many manufactures to secure wheels). I suppose that part of this is ensuring you don't park in high risk locations... but I think is still a consideration.

Reactions: GJG

·
Registered
562 Posts
Um, you're worried about this on Whidbey Island? This ain't the Bronx in the 80's, where a car could be stripped in 15 minutes if you left it on the side of the expressway. Around here, the worst that's going to happen is a smash and grab at the trailhead, and a low probability of that even. You should take the same precautions you normally take with any car - no special concerns with a Rivian.

I don't think the Rivian rims fit any other vehicle, so I don't see much value in stealing them.

·
Registered
R1T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol.. worried about on Whidbey, no! But hey, I do leave the island from time to time.. :) ...but your points are valid, and unfortunately smash and grab at trail heads have happened here too :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
We live a few hours away from you, and were camping on the island two weeks ago on a "staycation". Personally, if I were somewhere where I had to worry about my rims, I wouldn't be spending any time in that place. There are enough nice places (like Whidbey) to live and to visit that I can choose not to have to deal with this problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^^^ this. Every vehicle I’ve owned that come with locks I take them off first thing. If someone wants your wheels they will get them and the locks will not slow them down. Only thing they do is add an extra piece for the owner to lose, forget, brake,…. When you really need it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
While I can see both your points @ColeAK and @CommodoreAmiga if anyone with half a brain (I know its a lot to ask these days) wants to deter or delay theft then I would recommend spline drive wheel locks... I have them on all my cars/truck/toys and yes you as the owner must not loose the key/tool to remove them, its just that simple... Piece of mind for me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
While I can see both your points @ColeAK and @CommodoreAmiga if anyone with half a brain (I know its a lot to ask these days) wants to deter or delay theft then I would recommend spline drive wheel locks... I have them on all my cars/truck/toys and yes you as the owner must not loose the key/tool to remove them, its just that simple... Piece of mind for me.
Even the splined lugs can be removed basically as quickly as a normal nut. They simply do not deter theft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts