Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I have time until my vehicle is built, I keep vacillating between tire and wheel combinations. In general, I prefer fully blacked out wheels. I had my MME wheels painted black and calipers red. So, I'm grappling with the 21 v 22 v 20 wheels and tires. So, questions I have for y'all are the following. Imagine that I have two young kids that are now about 7 years old and I would like to go off-roading with them periodically. I have been saying this for about three or four years, but have never actually done it. If I will probably go on beaches and rough terrain once in a while (once or twice a year) and maybe non-highly technical courses (never have in my life but there is a first for everything), would I be okay with the road wheels and tires? Do I really need the all-terrain 20s if I do plan on going off-roading? Also, I know everyone's pocketbook is his/her own, but thoughts on saving the $3,500, spending about $500 to get the 21s painted black and buying a second set of wheels and tires separately? Lastly, I saw some earlier comments about 21" replacement tires being hard to find. Is that still the case?

· Registered
R1T, Sept 2021 preorder
24 Posts
I went through the same mental process. My config is locked in but I am still waiting for delivery. I also prefer the blacked out look for wheels. I was originally going with the 20's because of the black option as well as the AT tires. I settled on the 21s to maximize range with the added benefit of the lower cost. I expect to be on asphalt more than 99% of the time with only occasional off-road driving yet more frequent snow driving.

Here is a cheap way to black out the 21s to decide if you like the look better, I can't speak to how long it will last: Spokes Vinyl Covers for Rivian's 21" Road Wheels (R1T/R1S)

I have a separate set of wheels/tires for my car with snow tires. Doing the same for the Rivian is a possibility for me. Nokian now has tires for the Rivian: Rivian / Nokian Tyres / Nokian Tires

1 - 3 of 3 Posts