Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just entered the 8 step process so hoping to get the truck soonish. I currently have a model Y long range, a Kona EV and a Sprinter Van. The model Y has got us everywhere we need to go . . . Almost. The van has taken us across country the Kona is our commuter car.

What is the most remote spot you have gotten with your Rivian. Where did you want to go but couldn't.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition '22
21 Posts
I have a lot of misgivings about taking my $80k truck on a lot of 4x4 roads around where I live. The truck and my driving might technically be up to the task but damaging/scratching an expensive ride or damaging tires that seem hard to get make me think it's easier to get out and walk in a lot of cases. Depends on the trail, plenty have been stress free but many I avoid. Maybe I'll enjoy this more as the truck ages and naturally depreciates in value. I mostly use 4x4 roads to access backcountry areas to hike, run, etc and don't really enjoy 4x4 as an activity in itself.

I have two homes that are about 310 miles apart. Both have fast chargers very close to them, but the main stretch in between is about 270 miles without any fast chargers and is very hilly, remote and desolate. I think I'd need to charge to 100% before leaving home, then re-charge to 100% again (takes about an hour for that last bit) then hope and pray I make it). Haven't tried it yet. Was really hoping for this RAN network which would have had a charger at the midpoint but their 600 fast charging locations by end of 2023 is seeming pretty unlikely at this point, and in any case there is no ETA. I haven't tried this journey yet. I think I should barely make it but it sounds stressful and the penalty points for coming up short would be high.

A related example I like to cite is to drive from Las Vegas, NV to Phoenix, AZ (two of the largest cities in the American southwest) is about 300 miles, more than nearly all EVs can reliably travel without charging. For non-Tesla owners there is precisely one fast charging option in between these cities (Electrify America, Kingman, AZ). In theory if you get there and it works great. But if this one station is busy, offline, you're hosed. For comparison I think there are at least 3 Superchargers on that same route, which strikes me as a bit more reliable. Just sort of puts in perspective how far the fast charging network needs to go to be considered reliable, even for well-traveled popular itineraries such as Las Vegas to Phoenix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts