Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just received interior details for R1T but there is no mention of rear seat fold flat into the floor or 60/40 split? I have a large 90lbs dog and need a good space for her to ride comfortably which is NOT on the seat material. My current suv has 60/40 fold flat so we put down the 60% and then she has a large area to ride around in (she actually loves to sit in the middle blocking rear view mirror so all I see is her face!).

Does anyone know how the rear seats can be stored? Is it up towards back window, down in the floor, or not at all? Many pickups have either fold flat or fold back rear seats, Ram actually has a beautiful totally flat shelf (60/40) that can be deployed when seats are up and is large enough for sleeping area.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Rear seats were shown to fold forward to reveal more storage. I would put a blanket on the seat and let the dog ride in style, fabricate a simple "dog bench" that can sit atop the the storage with the seats flipped up (could store bench in gear tunnel), or get the R1S if you don't want that. Or get a Chihuahua that can fit in the storage bin and just call it a day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We've got a large dog as well. I'm planning on either dropping a long board across the storage compartment with the rear seats folded up and then dropping one of the back-seat dog cover things across the length. That also means I won't really need to get a cage to keep the dog from trying to get into the front or scratching up the center console.

If that doesn't work well, then I'll create an insert for the floor space on one side and leave the seat down, then block off the other half of the vehicle. Luckily for us we don't take the dog on any long trips, so it's mostly about getting around town. For summer months, I've also considered just strapping a kennel down in the bed and using that.

No matter what, it can't be less convenient than what I've got to do to get the dog in my Defender 90 without him destroying the leather :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked this exact question a few months ago. Here's the reply from RIvian:

"Thank you so much for contacting Rivian. It is such an exciting time around here as we wait for the R1T and R1S to hit the road this summer.

The second and third rows of the R1S fold down nearly flat for storage. However, the back seat of the R1T does not fold down flat. There is 3.4 cu ft of storage underneath of the backseat, but I understand that this probably will not be helpful for your pup! For packages, remember that you will have the front trunk, as well as the gear tunnel. The front trunk is 11 cu ft of storage space, while the gear tunnel has 12 cu ft. "

Due to this, I'm leaning towards changing my order to an R1S. I have a pickup now that I am keeping, and owned a Suburban previously, so I'm fine with the R1S. And the wife likes the R1S better, so........ lol.

If I were to get the R1T, I would build a carpeted platform of sorts. Flip the bottom seat cushions forward, and hopefully a piece of carpeted plywood should lay flat on top of the storage area. If the seat bottoms were hinged with a removable pin (or you could retrofit the hinge with a pin), that would be perfect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I were to get the R1T, I would build a carpeted platform of sorts. Flip the bottom seat cushions forward, and hopefully a piece of carpeted plywood should lay flat on top of the storage area. If the seat bottoms were hinged with a removable pin (or you could retrofit the hinge with a pin), that would be perfect.
Places like Orvis sell sophisticated pet platform devices (in laymen's terms: "blocks of foam") as an easy solution:

·
Registered
50 Posts
This thread is pretty much why I'm 99% sure I'm going R1S instead of R1T. I had a dog for 14 years, but we put him down last fall. Otherwise I have two kids and I know we'll be getting another doge in the next year or two. It really doesn't seem like any doge larger than 25lbs will fit in the back with kids already there, but in the R1S, that will be no problem at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not the most elegant solution, but years ago I made a platform with plyboard wrapped in an old sleeping bag. Attach some LATCH clips (I salvaged mine from a carseat my son grew out of). the LATCH are attached at the rear of the board near the LATCH connectors in the seat. This makes the padded platform easy to pop in/out, and because it is attached to the car LATCH connectors, it can cantelever over the footwell all the way to the back of the driver seat. Plenty of room for our 75lb dog, and the up side is it fits in all cars (well at least in a 4Runner, Lexus NX, & Infiniti FX45). Only issue is I have to pick up dog to get her in my lifted 4Runner; she can jump into the NX / FX. Maybe a dog could get in the passenger side rear footwell then jump up from there onto the platform? It is easy to remove and will fold up to put bags in footwell.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts