Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I’m on the pre-order list and I was surprised to learn the 400 mile range R1T will not be offered initially. I did an initial Rivian build and it is a Launch Edition, but increasingly I have been thinking I want the extra 100 miles in range. I figure real world mileage will already be lower and charging takes long enough I want the larger battery. This may just come down to personal preference but I would like to hear anyone’s ideas/thoughts/opinions on which battery to go with.

Thank you,

Max

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
46 Posts
There is already another long thread in this forum discussing 300 vs 400 mile range, worth reading.

Like others, I thought an extra $10k was a big ask for the extra 100 miles, and I REALLY wanted to get my R1T delivered in 2021, so I am keeping my R1T LE 300+ range on order.

I am an early adopter, willing to take some risks to get new things, otherwise you will never purchase anything knowing there is always going to be something just a little better if you wait.

Questions for the future:
How soon will the solid state batteries be available?
Would Rivian be willing to offer a solid state battery exchange in the future if this was a much better option?
Would there be an option to add an extended range battery pack for those times when it might be needed? Possibly also with the smaller and lighter solid state batteries?

Charles

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are at least a few years out on solid state batteries in cars, if not longer. QuantumScape just released promising testing data on their battery but it wasn't even a full battery, just one thin piece of film the size of a single playing card. Next they will need to test a stack of these (like a deck of cards) and then a series of batteries to see how they perform. Then they will have to work out the problems, then figure out how to mass produce, work out those problems, test in real world scenarios, work out more problems. Will an unforeseen insurmountable challenge arise?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Good evening,

I’m on the pre-order list and I was surprised to learn the 400 mile range R1T will not be offered initially. I did an initial Rivian build and it is a Launch Edition, but increasingly I have been thinking I want the extra 100 miles in range. I figure real world mileage will already be lower and charging takes long enough I want the larger battery. This may just come down to personal preference but I would like to hear anyone’s ideas/thoughts/opinions on which battery to go with.

Thank you,

Max
Hey @Max Sprinkles. I guess it comes down to whether or not the 300 mile battery suits how much your drive and if you're willing to wait a bit longer for the extra range. It seems to be split between people that want that extra 100 mile range and people who don't want to wait anymore.

Here's some other threads that people talk about it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Would Rivian be willing to offer a solid state battery exchange in the future if this was a much better option?
Would there be an option to add an extended range battery pack for those times when it might be needed? Possibly also with the smaller and lighter solid state batteries?
My biggest question is about where and how quickly additional DCFC charging infrastructure will be built out. Very limited info on this right now, and there’s big sections of the country that are currently black holes for non-Tesla DCFC charging (ie. WY and the Dakotas). My Tesla with 85kW battery is rated at about 260 miles on full charge. That’s been more than adequate for me for the past 5 years with numerous trips across the country. But that’s due to Tesla’s Supercharger network. Rivian RAN plus other commercial charging options have a long way to go to compare to what Tesla currently offers. It can’t happen fast enough! Regardless of your politics, let’s hope the new administration makes good on its promise to focus on this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
$10k is a steep price for 100 miles of range.... But I did reserve the 400 mile pack on the basis that the 300 mile option won't actually go 300 miles in the real world. The truth is that people will rarely charge to 100%, and no one actually runs the EV down to 0%. And I'm a big users of A/C, so that's going to hurt range. Then in the winter you hear about how the temperature reduces battery efficiency and running the heater really sucks up power.... The point is that a "300 mile range" EV may only have 200-250 miles of actual travel distance, between charges, depending on commonly-occurring conditions. So the 400 mile pack, in my mind, lets me get an actual 300-350 miles -- which is really the minimum of where I feel comfortable.

Maybe things will play out differently, but that's how I see it, right now. The extra $10k, in my mind, is the difference between an enjoyable experience and constant frustration/anxiety.

If you are okay with the lower range, then by all means, save the money.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
Bring up the electrify America page and look at all the charging that is either already live or coming online. The best thing for Rivian is the adoption of this in conjunction with VW/MB/BMW/Ford/Lucid. This network may soon outpace the Tesla super charging network, which will be great for everyone. For me personally the 300mile range is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Bring up the electrify America page and look at all the charging that is either already live or coming online. The best thing for Rivian is the adoption of this in conjunction with VW/MB/BMW/Ford/Lucid. This network may soon outpace the Tesla super charging network, which will be great for everyone. For me personally the 300mile range is perfect. View attachment 1144
Yep, that huge black hole across WY, MT and the Dakotas is very concerning to me since I spend significant time in that area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Charles! Yes I saw a related thread once I hit submit. I appreciate your addition to all this. I too was wondering about solid state batteries.

Max S.

There is already another long thread in this forum discussing 300 vs 400 mile range, worth reading.

Like others, I thought an extra $10k was a big ask for the extra 100 miles, and I REALLY wanted to get my R1T delivered in 2021, so I am keeping my R1T LE 300+ range on order.

I am an early adopter, willing to take some risks to get new things, otherwise you will never purchase anything knowing there is always going to be something just a little better if you wait.

Charles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the additional thoughts on solid state batteries. I was wondering about them but you make some good points about the unknowns. It’s time for me to jump in and get adventuring.

We are at least a few years out on solid state batteries in cars, if not longer. QuantumScape just released promising testing data on their battery but it wasn't even a full battery, just one thin piece of film the size of a single playing card. Next they will need to test a stack of these (like a deck of cards) and then a series of batteries to see how they perform. Then they will have to work out the problems, then figure out how to mass produce, work out those problems, test in real world scenarios, work out more problems. Will an unforeseen insurmountable challenge arise?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good evening,

Thank you,

Max
I was shocked and disappointed to learn that the 400 battery is not available. As far as I know there was no Rivian literature claiming that the 400 mile pack wouldn't be available initially. Had I known that it wouldn't be available until some time in 2022 I would have purchased a gas truck last year. I'm screwed now because the 300 mile pack doesn't work for me and my current truck is costing me a fortune in repairs. I feel we have been mislead by Rivian on this issue and I'm starting out with a bad feeling. If Rivian is willing to mislead their highest spending customers.....well, let's just say it makes me very nervous spending that kind of money on a new venture and right out of the gate there's a problem. I'm hoping they re-think the 400 mile battery pack release date decision.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was shocked and disappointed to learn that the 400 battery is not available. As far as I know there was no Rivian literature claiming that the 400 mile pack wouldn't be available initially. Had I known that it wouldn't be available until some time in 2022 I would have purchased a gas truck last year. I'm screwed now because the 300 mile pack doesn't work for me and my current truck is costing me a fortune in repairs. I feel we have been mislead by Rivian on this issue and I'm starting out with a bad feeling. If Rivian is willing to mislead their highest spending customers.....well, let's just say it makes me very nervous spending that kind of money on a new venture and right out of the gate there's a problem. I'm hoping they re-think the 400 mile battery pack release date decision.
I respect your opinion and your right to be disappointed. However, to provide a different perspective, imagine how upset you'd be if you paid $75k+ for something that needed a few months extra development?

I think it's better for Rivian to hold back and release a quality product, rather than rush to market and take people's money for an unfinished product.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Isn't the delay on the 400 pack more of supply chain issue?
My guess is that they need to get those Amazon vans out the door with max packs and there are only so many batteries available right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I respect your opinion and your right to be disappointed. However, to provide a different perspective, imagine how upset you'd be if you paid $75k+ for something that needed a few months extra development?

I think it's better for Rivian to hold back and release a quality product, rather than rush to market and take people's money for an unfinished product.
Agreed. If it's for development reasons then by all means, get it right prior to delivery. However, they didn't mention that it was for development reasons. I believe they said it was because they thought more customers would order the 300 mile pack so they wanted to streamline the production. It's their decision but I don't have the patients to wait another year (+) for the 400 mile pack. I'm keeping my place in the production line but if it doesn't change I will likely pull my order.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm generally OK with a 300 mile range, but you are right that it's different from Rivian's previously stated direction. From the pre-order confirmation email I received on 2/14/2020:

Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first.
That said, I get that there are many variables and complexities and they have to be adaptable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good evening,

Thank you,

Max
$10k will buy a incredible generator
Plus probably be lighter than the bigger battery
There is a company making a hydrogen powered generator
But my thought for as often as I will need the bigger battery
Running a generator (diesel?) Not a big deal
How often do you go 300+ miles in a day
Me about once a month
So I am happy I am not stuck with the extra weight and cost of the 400mile battery
What they said would originally be first
Plus I WILL BE OFF ROAD don't want that extra weight
It all comes down to you
I am excited that I get the most power to weight battery currently available

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have spec'd my R1T with the 300+mile battery, and although I want more range I don't think I will see the need for it. I drive 135-150miles roundtrip daily , 40k annually and honestly with nightly charging at home and within the year free charging at work (lucky me!) I don't foresee any issues if I am getting near, at or above 300 on a full charge. I think the $10k will be better spent on new adventures or other toys, haha! Even with the tax credit off set, its just not worth the price hike to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts