Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the looks of the job postings, did Rivian take over the old Toll Chrysler Proving grounds?
Anyone? I will volunteer to take my Launch Edition on the test track if they would send it to me! (impatiently waiting)

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
Whittman had a Volvo track, my father inlaw used to work there. That is now owned by Ford, so maybe Rivian will be testing their vehicles at the Ford test track.

The Chrysler track is slightly north of there in Yucca, AZ.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok, I found the Wittman address for Rivian, 30700 W. Patton Road. Drove out today, 30 miles from home, Turns out they are testing at the Toyota facility:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Ok, I found the Wittman address for Rivian, 30700 W. Patton Road. Drove out today, 30 miles from home, Turns out they are testing at the Toyota facility:

View attachment 1280
Thanks for confirming it in person!

Its quite impressive...
"25 years ago, one of the world’s largest leading automotive manufacturers opened their testing facilities doors right here in our own back yard. Located just 50 some miles northwest of Phoenix in a small town known as Wittman, AZ, Toyota Motor Corporation invested $100,000,000 to build a 12,000-acre facility that featured a 10-mile high speed oval track, 60 additional miles of paved tracks, an endless back desert off-road playground and a 34,000 square foot garage.

Why Arizona? Most people don’t know this; Arizona is an all climate kind of state. Most think of us as the wild wild west desert. And while movies like Tombstone and Stagecoach with John Wayne gave us that stigma – we in fact have mountain roads with steep hills, country and urban back roads, freezing to scorching temps, snow, rain, ice, dirt roads, muddy fields and much more. It’s the ionic place to test any vehicle. And for Toyota, it’s the idealistic place to test most of their product line up, especially their trucks and special off-road vehicles."

·
Registered
230 Posts
FYI, the Ford track, is just a few miles southeast of this track, that is why I originally thought that is where they may be testing. The old Chrysler track, just north of there, is now a housing development. Chrysler moved to Yucca, AZ, to a site that used to belong to Ford.

The red circle below is the Toyota Proving Grounds, the blue circle is the Ford Proving Grounds (used to be Volvo):

Just to prove the point about our weather, I drove in snow in Falgstaff last weekend and encountered serious rain on the way back to Phoenix. Of course summers are 110+ on a regular basis. The Ford track above was owned by Vovlo some years ago and my father in-law drove cars for them. He would take them on long drives up into the mountains for testing. He took me to the track once and I got to see some prototypes that never made it to production.

·
Registered
640 Posts

Its quite impressive...
"25 years ago, one of the world’s largest leading automotive manufacturers opened their testing facilities doors right here in our own back yard. Located just 50 some miles northwest of Phoenix in a small town known as Wittman, AZ, Toyota Motor Corporation invested $100,000,000 to build a 12,000-acre facility that featured a 10-mile high speed oval track, 60 additional miles of paved tracks, an endless back desert off-road playground and a 34,000 square foot garage.
View attachment 1281
Why Arizona? Most people don’t know this; Arizona is an all climate kind of state. Most think of us as the wild wild west desert. And while movies like Tombstone and Stagecoach with John Wayne gave us that stigma – we in fact have mountain roads with steep hills, country and urban back roads, freezing to scorching temps, snow, rain, ice, dirt roads, muddy fields and much more. It’s the ionic place to test any vehicle. And for Toyota, it’s the idealistic place to test most of their product line up, especially their trucks and special off-road vehicles."
Sounds like one heck of a facility for Rivian to use for testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Its quite impressive...
View attachment 1281

More scorching weather than any other kind. I was in Phoenix in the 1990s and it was 90 degrees in freakin' January!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Its quite impressive...
View attachment 1281

Its quite impressive...
View attachment 1281
Arizona weather is mostly scorching. I've been there multiple times, and was in Phoenix in the mid 1990s in January and it was freakin' 90+ degrees! Even Oklahoma has better weather than that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts