Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the delay in production and the longer LE delivery timeline, plans to drive my current truck into the ground have become more literal. Since I pre-ordered, I have had to replace a transmission and a fuse box. That's about half the value of the truck at this point (2012 Silverado HD) when you factor in towing. So, I thought I was good until this weekend when I sanded all the way through the left rear quarter panel trying to remove some rust. It felt soft when I was sanding, then the entire area just blew right through. I think rocks hitting up inside the wheel-well started the small rust patch, BUT I spent an hour and 3 coats of Bondo, then sanding, paint and clear coat and covered it all up. Came out alright when I was done.
Just need all of this to last until... S=0==0=N...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
With the delay in production and the longer LE delivery timeline, plans to drive my current truck into the ground have become more literal. Since I pre-ordered, I have had to replace a transmission and a fuse box. That's about half the value of the truck at this point (2012 Silverado HD) when you factor in towing. So, I thought I was good until this weekend when I sanded all the way through the left rear quarter panel trying to remove some rust. It felt soft when I was sanding, then the entire area just blew right through. I think rocks hitting up inside the wheel-well started the small rust patch, BUT I spent an hour and 3 coats of Bondo, then sanding, paint and clear coat and covered it all up. Came out alright when I was done.
Just need all of this to last until... S=0==0=N... View attachment 3239
We're driving a 2007 GL450 with close to 180k miles on it, that I hope holds together until the beginning of the year. It's being replaced by our new R1S. One of the front air shocks failed last month and it killed me to pay to get it fixed. I need an oil change now, hoping that's the last $'s I have to spend on it. It's been a good truck over the years, lots of fun family trips, but it's time.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. I am hoping for 1 more oil change, and thats it. 186,000 miles on my 2500HD. I love the fact that it drives like an old dump truck, because its gonna make the new truck feel that much better! I also won't miss standing at the pump in the cold and watching it run until it hits $100 smackers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same here. I'm not limping my GX470 Along. It does just fine for a low mileage example of a 2004... (only 187K on the clock as of now) Two real things I am not going to miss when I get my EV is the fill ups and just the dated, well... everything in the vehicle. Incredibly capable vehicle that has never really let me down but I'm ready to step into the 21st century.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We're driving a 2007 GL450 with close to 180k miles on it, that I hope holds together until the beginning of the year. It's being replaced by our new R1S. One of the front air shocks failed last month and it killed me to pay to get it fixed. I need an oil change now, hoping that's the last $'s I have to spend on it. It's been a good truck over the years, lots of fun family trips, but it's time.
Yeah, Subaru Jack (my 2016 Outback) has 225,397 on the odometer. Replaced a belt and the CV unit yesterday for too much, but he still runs great. Probably 4-6 months to go till I take delivery of my boy. Time enough to get the solar panels on the roof of my house.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Yeah, Subaru Jack (my 2016 Outback) has 225,397 on the odometer. Replaced a belt and the CV unit yesterday for too much, but he still runs great. Probably 4-6 months to go till I take delivery of my boy. Time enough to get the solar panels on the roof of my house.
Welcome to the forum @Scuppers.
Are you still going to keep your Outback when the R1T arrives?
Would love to pics of it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interestingly enough I received a call today from Vroom (as I was shopping around selling my sports car) and they made me an offer that I felt was pretty dang fair, so I bit the bullet and sold my Challenger Scat Pack. I have been following a lot of the industry trends/sales etc regarding supply chain shortages, and decided to order a Tesla Model Y AWD (no extra options). I'll get delivery of it in April (hopefully) and I'll drive that around until my Rivian is ready. I figure the Model Y will lose basically nothing on value while driving it for a year so when I go to sell or trade in for the Rivian, I'll be in a good place financially and able to secure that lovely Tax credit as well.

Still going to keep the big Lexus SUV for now as its my Daily but assuming all goes well with this transaction with Vroom, I should have a bunch of $ in my account as the down payment on the Model Y.

Has anyone else considered playing these car-shell games? I don't think I'm the only one out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.