Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the fact the truck will have a compressor on board for the air ride suspension, why did Rivian not engineer a central tire inflation system like the hummer h1, military vehicles, and the infamous 6 wheeled Mercedes G63 6x6? This is a pretty important feature to have when tackling different terrains. I would have thought this would have been designed into the truck or at least a option given the adventuring audience it’s aiming at and price point.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Given the small list of vehicles that have such a feature, I assume it's a complex and expensive system. Even with Rivian being "adventure-focused" I doubt such a system would provide reasonable value to most owners. I don't see any reason this would become a "standard" feature.

You could make an argument for it being an "option" but Rivian has said they want to limit options to streamline manufacturing and logistics, at least initially.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have no idea what it costs, they are on semis too a lot of Russian expedition vehicles. Given the fact you can get a h1 hummer with that system on it for 60k I would have thought it would be in the wheel house of consideration on the option side.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It takes less than 5 minutes to air down or air up all 4 tires with a built-in compressor. You generally only do that when you're first going off road, and then when you're going back on-road again. I'll take the 10 minutes of inconvenience over yet another complex system that can break at the worst time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah I have no idea what it costs, they are on semis too a lot of Russian expedition vehicles. Given the fact you can get a h1 hummer with that system on it for 60k I would have thought it would be in the wheel house of consideration on the option side.
USED.

You can't use a USED vehicle price as a basis for what a component/system costs NEW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s a complex system but obviously military wouldn’t have it installed if it wasn’t reliable, they don’t want people getting out in a firefight to air down tires or air up tires to get out of a situation. Not to mention it can keep a tire inflated if punctured to get to safety. People lives are at stake so it better be reliable. Farm equipment and a lot of semis have this so I dont think it’s a question of reliability. It probably boils down to cost

·
Registered
135 Posts
It’s a complex system but obviously military wouldn’t have it installed if it wasn’t reliable, they don’t want people getting out in a firefight to air down tires or air up tires to get out of a situation. Not to mention it can keep a tire inflated if punctured to get to safety. People lives are at stake so it better be reliable. Farm equipment and a lot of semis have this so I dont think it’s a question of reliability. It probably boils down to cost
The military doesn't have to worry about making vehicle payments.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
235 Posts
The military doesn't have to worry about making vehicle payments.
Not to mention that getting out of the vehicle to air up or down the tires could involve getting shot at...

·
Super Moderator
235 Posts
I really like that they are providing easy access to the compressor and an air hose for inflating the tires. Way simpler system and too inconvenient IMO. Hopefully that’s next the next promised feature to disappear!

Reactions: Fpartida

·
Registered
56 Posts
The system is not very complicated (How Self-inflating Tires Work) and is proven reliable. I asked about it very early on after they said an air compressor would be standard.

The advantage of CTIS is not having to carry along a hose and inflator. Plus if you have a small/slow leak in a tire, you can keep adding pressure rather than putting on the spare. Oh wait, there is no spare.

Being able to adjust tire pressure on the fly is a luxury and should have been considered standard on a premium truck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The advantage of CTIS is not having to carry along a hose and inflator. Plus if you have a small/slow leak in a tire, you can keep adding pressure rather than putting on the spare. Oh wait, there is no spare.
Rivian has said that a spare will be available as an option to anyone who wants one, and will be included in states that require them.

Being able to adjust tire pressure on the fly is a luxury and should have been considered standard on a premium truck.
And yet no other premium truck includes them. Not the F-150 Raptor, nor the RAM TRX, nor the GMC Hummer EV, even.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s not but the systems are in everyday vehicles on the road. The whole point is why didn’t they and based
The system is not very complicated (How Self-inflating Tires Work) and is proven reliable. I asked about it very early on after they said an air compressor would be standard.

Agreed

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would not have been ok with them trading an accessible air compressor for in-tire inflation if that meant the compressor was no longer externally acessible. That air compressor that I can externally access has utility beyond tires. Inflatable kayak? Mountain bike? Tools (not sure if it would run a pneumatic tool or not)? Someone else with you overlanding with a broken, or no, compressor?

I'm sure there are other uses not directly coming to mind.

I wouldn't have been upset had both options been included, but if I had to choose, I'd take what they're doing over an exclusively in-tire system every time.

·
Super Moderator
235 Posts
That air compressor that I can externally access has utility beyond tires. Inflatable kayak? Mountain bike? Tools (not sure if it would run a pneumatic tool or not)? Someone else with you overlanding with a broken, or no, compressor?
Blowing dust and debris out of the bed or interior. Cool blast of compressed air in your face after a long hike or ride on a hot day. Inflating an air mattress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The air tank that would store the air for the CTIS system has a connection on it that you can attach a air hose too so I could care less about a portable compressor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts