Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
The air tank that would store the air for the CTIS system has a connection on it that you can attach a air hose too so I could care less about a portable compressor.
What air tank? How Self-inflating Tires Work

There is one reference to a tank that supplies air brakes (not present on either R1T or R1S) and no reference to any tank in any of the diagrams.

Also - I'll pass on having a compressed air tank in an easily accessible, and thus easily impactable/damageable, location on my vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
On my farm equipment I have a CTIS system on my John Deere and a reserve air tank that I can have it filled by the CTIS it’s self on demand with a simple bypass lever for air tools and so forth when working in the field. What ever your looking at online isn’t the same. There are different systems out there on the commercial industry side and military side. As far as accessibility it could be as simple as how the power port for charging the truck is set up. Concealed with a air adapter point to connect a hose. The tank it self would be a in a safe spot just like the battery cells and fuel tanks....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would not have been ok with them trading an accessible air compressor for in-tire inflation if that meant the compressor was no longer externally acessible. That air compressor that I can externally access has utility beyond tires. Inflatable kayak? Mountain bike? Tools (not sure if it would run a pneumatic tool or not)? Someone else with you overlanding with a broken, or no, compressor?

I'm sure there are other uses not directly coming to mind.

I wouldn't have been upset had both options been included, but if I had to choose, I'd take what they're doing over an exclusively in-tire system every time.
I totally agree, that CTIS without access to an external connection would not be worth the trade-off. Since a compressor can do many things, why not let it? Mine is currently mounted in the bed of my truck, has a tank, and runs a train horn. It fills tires and pool toys, blows water out of the gaps after a car wash, and blows dirt/dust out of the bed or off the toys when returning home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My impression from the military Hummers were that the auto inflation system were complicated and unreliable. In most cases they got away from including them on the vehicles. Also it made a tire change a huge PITA. I go down to Baja offroading a few times per year. I run the BF Goodrich All terrain 35" tires. I am always airing up and airing down. I get flats all the time - 1x per week?? I have a built in dual compressor that I added from ARB with also a little 2 gallon storage tank. Many off-road explorers in Baja carry two spare tires.

From my POV the auto inflation feature I would avoid like the plague as I assume it would be similar experience to the military vehicles. Particularly since I know how often I will be changing tires and fixing flats. I need something that can be fixed in the boonies by a regular tire guy not a white glove service guy. The built in compressor is a nice and I look forward to that. I hope it can put out some good CFM and has a decent duty cycle.

Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
My impression from the military Hummers were that the auto inflation system were complicated and unreliable. In most cases they got away from including them on the vehicles. Also it made a tire change a huge PITA. I go down to Baja offroading a few times per year. I run the BF Goodrich All terrain 35" tires. I am always airing up and airing down. I get flats all the time - 1x per week?? I have a built in dual compressor that I added from ARB with also a little 2 gallon storage tank. Many off-road explorers in Baja carry two spare tires.

From my POV the auto inflation feature I would avoid like the plague as I assume it would be similar experience to the military vehicles. Particularly since I know how often I will be changing tires and fixing flats. I need something that can be fixed in the boonies by a regular tire guy not a white glove service guy. The built in compressor is a nice and I look forward to that. I hope it can put out some good CFM and has a decent duty cycle.

Steve
I have never owned a CTIS equipped vehicle nor have I ever had to work on one. I do agree that tire changes would take a little longer and the wheel/tire combo would be more expensive but I have to think there is a way to run a wheel that is not hooked up to CTIS (think cheaper, standard spare). If the CTIS were to fail, there should be an over-ride. Knowing the military, there are probably two or three. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Again CTIS systems are not just used on military vehicles they are used on semis and farm equipment and heavy equipment. Logging trucks to OTR semis have these systems. Huge carriers to small contractors. So I think it’s safe to say the reliability in a CTIS system is there if the trucking world uses these on their tractor cabs and trailers. To this day the new military trucks still carry a CTIS system. The Jltv by Oshkosh which replaced the humvee after 30 years of service has a CTIS system. So guys throw out the reliability issue as a concern. I’m telling you as a person who has a CTIS system on a tractor it’s worth every penny. In the off road adventure world which is what the Rivian is targeting and with a high end price point it should have been at least a option. I believe more people would have bought that with their truck than a pull out sink and grill option.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
I would not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aw, jeez, they're targeting a certain price point and providing the most desirable features for an average buyer. COULD they add more bells and whistles? Certainly, but not without added cost. The automotive world is not a high-margin business at the end of the day. Long warranties and concierge service come at a cost and end up being appreciated by more people than niche features would. Would I like a "Speed Racer" drone that could launch from the roof and show me traffic conditions ahead on the built-in display? Sure. Would the majority of other buyers? Hell no. I've posted elsewhere about being an early adopter of air suspension in my 1986 Subaru. Two of those units failed within months of each other at a combined cost of 20% of the vehicle's purchase price. Even though it was under warranty I got rid of the vehicle because I knew there was a good chance it would happen again and I wouldn't be under warranty. Let's keep niche features at a minimum or save it for the aftermarket crowd.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts