Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the simplicity of the names R1T and R1S today. Startup companies are using simple names. Tesla model 3, Y, S, X. Polestar 2. NIO ES6, ES7, ES8. And obviously rivians cars.

But traditional automakers launch a new car and they either come up with a new name that fits with their naming traditions, or they even just reuse an old name. Even when ford finally made an electric truck, they called it the "lightning," which fits in with the past 60 years of car naming conventions. Even when they made an electric car, they couldn't just call it the "ford E" or something, they had to call it the "mustang mach E."

Anyway, I was just thinking that it's kind of emblematic of how these companies are taking a different approach to the industry in fundamental ways, and it's reflected in the names.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mercedes, Lexus, and Porsche (and to some degree Audi and BMW) have used similar for years. Heck Mercedes has had it for ~100 years. Examples. My MB e500 4matic is a “mid class” with a 5L motor and AWD. My Lexus LX 570 is a “LuXary suv with a 5.7L.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was thinking about the simplicity of the names R1T and R1S today. Startup companies are using simple names. Tesla model 3, Y, S, X. Polestar 2. NIO ES6, ES7, ES8. And obviously rivians cars.

But traditional automakers launch a new car and they either come up with a new name that fits with their naming traditions, or they even just reuse an old name. Even when ford finally made an electric truck, they called it the "lightning," which fits in with the past 60 years of car naming conventions. Even when they made an electric car, they couldn't just call it the "ford E" or something, they had to call it the "mustang mach E."

Anyway, I was just thinking that it's kind of emblematic of how these companies are taking a different approach to the industry in fundamental ways, and it's reflected in the names.
Audi A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8
BMW 3 Series, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Volvo S40, S60, C70, S80
Ford F-150, F-250, F-350
Mazda 3, 6, CX-7, CX-9

·
Registered
21 Posts
Naming cars after animals or various geographic features is expensive, risky and time consuming. The numbers are simply a lazy, fast way to get back to the work of making a car.

Also, tech companies like versions, and versions have numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts