Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1T Launch Ed. LG/FE, 2018 Mercedes E63S AMG Wagon, 2019 Audi Q7, 1955 Willys Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is considering or curious about Paint Protection Film, I made a video about why I added it to my R1T and the process and results of installation.

With the flat front of the Rivian, rock chips and road damage are bound to happen. It’s cheap insurance to minimize the need to repaint your truck in the event of rock chips/road rash, bird dropping etches, bug damage, light scratches, and UV damage. Repainting just the bumper for example isn’t as straightforward (and inexpensive) as it may seem!

Hope this is helpful!

Why I Installed Xpel Ultimate Pro Paint Protection Film on my Rivian R1T

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
514 Posts
Totally sensible, thanks for sharing! I agree, wrapping the front is a good investment. Have it on my I-Pace and it has helped.

The question is though, why did you just get a clear wrap? How about Pink? Or Union Jack? Or checkerboard? C'mon man where was the imagination!

·
Registered
2022 R1T Launch Ed. LG/FE, 2018 Mercedes E63S AMG Wagon, 2019 Audi Q7, 1955 Willys Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally sensible, thanks for sharing! I agree, wrapping the front is a good investment. Have it on my I-Pace and it has helped.

The question is though, why did you just get a clear wrap? How about Pink? Or Union Jack? Or checkerboard? C'mon man where was the imagination!
LOL, I considered matte, but I feel like that would look cool for a month and then I’d get sick of it.

i am wrapping the rest of the truck too because I use it as a truck and I’d like to avoid the scratches and scuffs that trucks used as trucks are known to get!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I was intrigued by the matte wrap, but the $11,600 quote I got was too rich for my blood. I’m going with ceramic coat just to make it easier to wash the bugs off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thinking of doing exactly the same with my Launch Green here in San Diego. The prices for clear bra on the whole truck were close to $8K I believe, so I'm leaning towards just the frontend, fenders and mirrors now. Still a big expense, but since I plan on keeping the car, it's a no brainer. I definitely want that ceramic coat too - to help keep such a big vehicle clean of the bugs and bee poop.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I did the front end, and the paint strip on the tailgate above the rear light bar (where you push the tailgate closed). I did clear Xpel also, with a detailer in Arlington MA who also owns a Tesla.
He made the point that the top of the hood was going to see a lot more potential for scratching in winter with snow and ice accumulation in the Northeast, without a warm engine underneath the hood. That was an easy decision for me to make. I would add that to the list of reasons to do Xpel if you are in a climate with snow and ice.

·
Vendor
31 Posts
Does anyone doo the door trim edges to protect the doors from accidental dings when you swing open the doors?
Yes, me :)
Here:

And a bunch of pre-cut PPF options for the R1T, by me again...covers some of the impact area without breaking the bank:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts