Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is it a good business decision at this point to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a show, when your existing orders are going to keep you busy for the next few years and there are no real competitors delivering yet? Or would you rather have the employees out giving test drives for existing reservation holders?

Generating a demand is not the problem anymore, and delivering vehicles will accomplish far more than an advertising event when it comes to increasing market share. I would imagine they do have some people attending the show to discuss fleet sales of EDVs with prospective customers, among other purposes. And I would expect them to continue a more-targeted marketing approach through first-drive events and experience centers.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Is it a good business decision at this point to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a show, when your existing orders are going to keep you busy for the next few years and there are no real competitors delivering yet? Or would you rather have the employees out giving test drives for existing reservation holders?

Generating a demand is not the problem anymore, and delivering vehicles will accomplish far more than an advertising event when it comes to increasing market share. I would imagine they do have some people attending the show to discuss fleet sales of EDVs with prospective customers, among other purposes. And I would expect them to continue a more-targeted marketing approach through first-drive events and experience centers.
This.
There's no incentive for them at this point to attend, so why bother? Plus, very few people who go to these shows will convert into actual buyers. The ones that do already have a lot of product knowledge and come to communities like this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This.
There's no incentive for them at this point to attend, so why bother? Plus, very few people who go to these shows will convert into actual buyers. The ones that do already have a lot of product knowledge and come to communities like this.
Do not entirely agree. It grates me quite a bit that it will be necessary for me to buy sight unseen or wait years to see and touch one. Buying a $ 20 item from a web page is one thing, but $ 80,000 is quite another. Having really none on display, anywhere, is not a good thing. If there would be some on display somewhere, those who cared to do so could make the trip. Like at a few car shows, especially in Illinois where Normal is.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most people will get to see and drive a vehicle before they finalize their orders. I know I've driven one, and have see three of the colors up close in person at different times. An auto show isn't going to have all the colors and all the interiors, and isn't going to let you drive the vehicle, so there's not much more to present other than what you can find online right now.

The "first drive" events are really the best way to see and experience the vehicle, so I hope they start those up again, even if they're just limited to existing pre-order holders.

If you're anywhere near a big car show, then you're probably also near a delivery center where you can see the vehicles. And they're not going to be delivering vehicles to areas far away from their support centers yet. As they build out their network in an area in preparation for delivery in that area, there will be more opportunities to see and drive these.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rivian is severely production-constrained - demand is not at all an issue.

Look at Tesla, which Rivian seems to model in many aspects. Have you ever seen Tesla exhibit in a car show, or advertise? They no longer even have a PR department and don't seem too cooperative about providing press cars these days.

Many of the new EV companies are forging their own path, and feel little need to market their products like the legacy auto manufacturers do.

Even if you don't get to see/drive it in advance, Rivian provides customers with 7 days or 1,000 miles to return it if it doesn't meet expectations. That sure beats sitting in one at an auto show!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts