Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the R1T charge any faster with my Tesla 80AMP wall charger? (I would purchase the Tesla Tap 80AMP adapter if it would) Or does Rivian limit the charge to 48amp regardless?

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
68 Posts
For AC charging the vehicles use onboard chargers. The device you're referring to is actually just a "connector". It's like a fancy power cord. The Rivian's onboard charger can only go up to 11.5kw, which honestly is a lot.

If you have the Tesla Wall Connector on a 240v circuit a Rivian will only draw 48 amps.

All that said, an 80 amp Tesla is a heck of a lot cheaper than having another high power EVSE installed. But if you're still also charging a Tesla using the same Wall Connector, the hassle of also having to mess around with the adapter every time could get tedious and the extra expense of a second EVSE might be well worth the money.

I kind of like the look of the Rivian EVSE. Rivian Wall Charger - Gear Shop - Rivian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For AC charging the vehicles use onboard chargers. The device you're referring to is actually just a "connector". It's like a fancy power cord. The Rivian's onboard charger can only go up to 11.5kw, which honestly is a lot.

If you have the Tesla Wall Connector on a 240v circuit a Rivian will only draw 48 amps.

All that said, an 80 amp Tesla is a heck of a lot cheaper than having another high power EVSE installed. But if you're still also charging a Tesla using the same Wall Connector, the hassle of also having to mess around with the adapter every time could get tedious and the extra expense of a second EVSE might be well worth the money.

I kind of like the look of the Rivian EVSE. Rivian Wall Charger - Gear Shop - Rivian
Thank you for the explanation. Are there any home chargers that you are aware of that allows for DC / CCS type of charging? (Not looking for anything like a commercial output, but something that would charge at a rate of 40 to 60 mph would be awesome. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
277 Posts
A DC fast charger at your house is really about the wiring and the panel that feeds it. Most homes have a 200-300AMP service. To achieve 'Fast Charging' you would have to have a 100AMP service just for the car charger. That would limit you to other services at your home. Wall ovens, HVAC units are typically 40-50AMPs per unit. Still have to power outlets and lights. With LEDs the lighting needs has dropped drastically. I am not sure about the zoning or safety requirements for a 100AMP service to charge a car though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While it may be possible to buy one that could "scale down" to the power available in a residence (e.g. Delta EV Wallbox Level 3 DC Quick Charger Charging Station), it would seem that the marginal gain would hardly be worth the price, assuming that someone would be willing to sell you one for home use. As @lefkonj pointed out, you would be limited by the power coming in to your house and available to dedicate to vehicle charging.

The other thing to consider is the effect on battery longevity. Everything else being equal, more frequent DC fast-charging is detrimental to batteries relative to AC trickle-charging.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
While it may be possible to buy one that could "scale down" to the power available in a residence (e.g. Delta EV Wallbox Level 3 DC Quick Charger Charging Station), it would seem that the marginal gain would hardly be worth the price, assuming that someone would be willing to sell you one for home use. As @lefkonj pointed out, you would be limited by the power coming in to your house and available to dedicate to vehicle charging.

The other thing to consider is the effect on battery longevity. Everything else being equal, more frequent DC fast-charging is detrimental to batteries relative to AC trickle-charging.
Just for reference, the Delta Wallbox runs about $10k. It also requires a 165A breaker if running on 240V single phase.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
277 Posts
Just for reference, the Delta Wallbox runs about $10k. It also requires a 165A breaker if running on 240V single phase.
So 10k just for the box, and getting electricians to run a 165A and the required wiring. I would guess this would cost you upwards of 15k just to complete the installation if you would even be allowed to with regards to building codes.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
I have one at my business, but it is powered by 480V 3P power, so not that big of a wiring job. Our internal electrician wired it up.

That's something any of us working stiffs should do is talk to your employer. Currently, the Fed's will tax credit 30% of the charger and install. They can put software on to charge those that are charging, so they can pay for the rest of it over time. If the administration holds, it will become a necessity at some point for them anyway likely and they won't get the credit at that point. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
68 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. Are there any home chargers that you are aware of that allows for DC / CCS type of charging? (Not looking for anything like a commercial output, but something that would charge at a rate of 40 to 60 mph would be awesome. Thank you for the advice.
I asked this on the Tesla Owner forum a while back and there were a few future options mentioned but nothing that I think will ever come to market or be reasonably priced.

Is there a reason you feel you need faster charging? Truck's internal 11.5kw charger is pretty fast and will likely recharge overnight everything you'll typically use in a day. It's a 135kwh pack which would charge from completely dead to completely full in less than 12 hours.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I purchased the Rivian charger with my order, but likely will just use my existing Tesla charger with an adaptor. Unless real world charging rate is significantly less than it would be with the Rivian Charger. Otherwise will just keep the Rivian charger new and will go the new owner of the Truck whenever the time comes for me to sell it.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
Wow... that's pretty wild.
The next question is: how do you know this... haha
Have a Delta Wallbox installed at my business. I had gotten a quote from the US distributer EV Charge Solutions, but in the end had an electrician pick it up and install it rather than having our internal electrician do it. His discount paid for part of the difference of having him put it in, so worth it for me as our guys are very busy.

I did also get a price on a 100kw city charger. Couldn't talk the rest of the owners into letting me do that one.... $44,800 just for the unit and software. I tried to give them rough numbers on how it would pay for itself over time, but they just saw it as a personal project for me. Oh well, I tried :)

·
Registered
R1T LE
42 Posts
I purchased the Rivian charger with my order, but likely will just use my existing Tesla charger with an adaptor. Unless real world charging rate is significantly less than it would be with the Rivian Charger. Otherwise will just keep the Rivian charger new and will go the new owner of the Truck whenever the time comes for me to sell it.
I really like the Rivian home charger that came with my R1T on 3/31. The cool thing is that it links to your Rivian app as another device. It gives you real time data and history of the charging you received. So at the end of the month, I know exactly what is cost me to charge and at what rate on a daily basis. It's really cool.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I really like the Rivian home charger that came with my R1T on 3/31. The cool thing is that it links to your Rivian app as another device. It gives you real time data and history of the charging you received. So at the end of the month, I know exactly what is cost me to charge and at what rate on a daily basis. It's really cool.
Yeah, until I get mine, haven't seen that stuff yet. With my Tesla, I can track all that stuff just by the car app. My wall charger isn't connected to the internet. Don't know if Rivian's app will display the monthly stats or not as Tesla does?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a Tesla to J1772 style charger cord adaptor for $159 on Amazon. It is rated at 40 amps max, or around 19 KW per hour, and if you are OK with that slow charge rate, it would be possible, if the Tesla charger is compatible with the adapter.

My thought it to buy a 32 amp 240 volt charger, and connect that to a 50 amp receptacle in your garage. Aliexpress . com has some on sale for about $250. Search for 32 amp EV charger, there will be many suppliers. This can be plugged in at a RV campground, or if you are close enough and plug into a friend's electric stove receptacle, you can charge at a friend's house. 30 amps X 240 volts is roughly 7.5 KW or a really long time to fill a 100 KW battery. However most drives do not use all the power in your battery, so a normal drive of say 45 miles a day would only take about 2-5 hours per night.

Camping World does sell a 25 foot long (and maybe longer) 50 amp extension cord, but I don't know the cost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also wondering why you might want to fast charge your truck at home, when a 10 KW charge rate is plenty for most daily drives. Also the 80 KW charger that is being delivered with the Ford vans requires a minimum size 300 amp service to the house to use the full 80 amps, and still have enough power to run normal loads in the home. So do you have a 300 amp service to your house? Or a 200 amp? Or plan on installing such a large service?

At my house, I have a 200 amp service, and replaced my 20 KW electric furnace with a heat pump, and I installed a 50 amp raintight RV plug in my carport, and connected it to the 30 amp fused disconnect for my heat pump, about 6 feet away from that receptacle. Both are on the same circuit, and the A/C can use about 16 amps on a very hot day. My charger is a 16 amp 240 volt charger that I bought at Aliexpress .com for about $275 - $300 a couple of years ago, to charge my 2016 C-Max, it only has a 7.5 KW battery, so 4 KW will fill it rapidly, and it rarely will use more than 10 amps for more than a couple of minutes, then slows the charge rate.

If you visit someone, and want to recharge, the same charger, or perhaps a 32 amp version, you might be able to plug into the dryer receptacle, or unplug a electric stove and plug in there. That can give you a few extra miles if you can plug in for a couple of hours. The 32 amp version that I see on AliExpress .com sells for around $250 - $300, and most have an adjustable input from 8 to 32 amps, so you will not trip the circuit breaker. If you plug into a 30 amp dryer receptacle, for instance, the max setting you should use is 24 amps. This is about 6 KW, and will extend the range a bit.

If your host has a 240 volt air conditioner receptacle, rated at 20 amps, you can plug in there with the correct adapter, and set the charger to max of 16 amps, and get about 4 KW per hour out of that small receptacle.

The charger that came with my Ford is 16 amps at 120 volts, or about 1.5 KW. That will take a few days to fill the battery of a Rivian to a useable level. But if you plan to spend the weekend, it could be done.

Just leaving the Rivian parked outside for a weekend, you might discover you parked it with a range of 64 miles and come out on Monday to find the range is now at 51 miles. Yes that can happen, due to things on board using power. At least plugging into a 120 volt charger, you will find the milage range has risen over the weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a Delta Wallbox installed at my business. I had gotten a quote from the US distributer EV Charge Solutions, but in the end had an electrician pick it up and install it rather than having our internal electrician do it. His discount paid for part of the difference of having him put it in, so worth it for me as our guys are very busy.

I did also get a price on a 100kw city charger. Couldn't talk the rest of the owners into letting me do that one.... $44,800 just for the unit and software. I tried to give them rough numbers on how it would pay for itself over time, but they just saw it as a personal project for me. Oh well, I tried :)

If you live in California, and plug in a 100 KW charger and use it during a peak power time, your partners are going to flip out when they get the next electric bill. Some areas served by SCE are charged a $15 per KW fee for demand charges. In San Diego service area, the demand charge is something like $18 per KW, so charing a EV with a 50 KW charge rate for only 1 minute between 4 pm and 9 pm any weekday, your demand charge for that month might go up by $900!

And your business partners might be looking for a new business partner!

Demand charges measure the peak power that your business electric meter sees during each month, then charge you based on the demand for your electric service. It does not change for multiple uses of that demand, so if you use 90 KW to run the A/C system, and the those are off when you charge your vehicle at 90 KW, the peak demand might not rise when you are charging the EV.

Oregon does not have demand charges. But many states have demand charges. Look at your electric bill to see if you do or not, and then you can adjust the charge time for your EV to make sure it is when there is less demand from the HVAC systems, or when you are not during the peak demand times.

·
Registered
R1T LE
42 Posts
Yeah, until I get mine, haven't seen that stuff yet. With my Tesla, I can track all that stuff just by the car app. My wall charger isn't connected to the internet. Don't know if Rivian's app will display the monthly stats or not as Tesla does?
So, the charger connects to your Rivian app as added gear. Yes, the app will show you what your usage is per day. It's not nearly as detailed as the Tesla app but I'm sure it will get better over time. At least for now, I know exactly how much juice I use per charge / day. It records your charging history by day / month.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts