Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon is testing out their Rivian vans in LA and someone was able to catch some video of it (Video Here).

You’ll notice there is a humming style sound and it’s what your car could sound like when traveling under 18.6 MPH, and least that’s what it says in this article. I guess the NHSTA has been working on this requirement for a while.

I sure hope it’s not required before I get mine...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think it's going to have the same sound as the delivery van. The van's sound makes sense for how often it'll stop and start. If it'll have a noise at low speed it'll be more subtle.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I don't think it's going to have the same sound as the delivery van. The van's sound makes sense for how often it'll stop and start. If it'll have a noise at low speed it'll be more subtle.
It sure does seem to be more of a commercial vehicle approach.

@Rise1Set I doubt it will be any different than current hybrids and EVs which are quiet compared to that van. Backing up might sound like a UFO landing...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Anyone wondering how the R1S and R1T will sound when accelerating and braking?

On the Taycan it sound epic. I hope Rivian does something pickup truck sounding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Amazon is testing out their Rivian vans in LA and someone was able to catch some video of it (Video Here).

You’ll notice there is a humming style sound and it’s what your car could sound like when traveling under 18.6 MPH, and least that’s what it says in this article. I guess the NHSTA has been working on this requirement for a while.

I sure hope it’s not required before I get mine...
It is required; the regs came out in 2016: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

The rules protect the visually impaired. Also, help with people not knowing that you are coming up behind them in parking lots. I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV. The sound it puts out, a low warbling, is not obnoxious and does make people turn around and look or look before they walk out in front of me (looking at their phones). Beats honking the horn.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I want mine to sound like the F35, and when I punch it I want the after burner included.
Give it time, someone will eventually be able to hack the sounds these produce.
You'll sound so fast that folks will be looking for a sonic boom ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Anyone wondering how the R1S and R1T will sound when accelerating and braking?

On the Taycan it sound epic. I hope Rivian does something pickup truck sounding.
I'd rather Rivian go with a unique sound like Porsche did rather than picking a noise that's similar to a gas engine.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I definitely prefer the deeper / throatier sounds vs. the higher pitched whiny sounds.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
I was thinking something alone the lines of the GMC HUMMER EV.
GM has started to put out a lot more detailed videos of the Hummer, both inside and out. Rivian seems to not be releasing many details at this point, even though they deliver 4 months ahead of GM. If they cannot provide test drives yet, why not some videos showing the displays and features.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
GM has started to put out a lot more detailed videos of the Hummer, both inside and out. Rivian seems to not be releasing many details at this point, even though they deliver 4 months ahead of GM. If they cannot provide test drives yet, why not some videos showing the displays and features.
The prototype spotting have me thinking that Rivian isn't 100% yet on what they want to show us.

OR its all ready but embargoed till the right time because they did produce this...

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
The prototype spotting have me thinking that Rivian isn't 100% yet on what they want to show us.

OR its all ready but embargoed till the right time because they did produce this...

Have you noticed how none of these videos ever show the controls or displays in action? If I cannot do a test drive yet, I would at least like to see how things are going to work inside the truck (basic displays, audio, climate control, navigation, charging, etc.). Even on the outside how about a demo video of opening the frunk, gear tunnel and tailgate, or operating the powered tonneau cover, with and without the help of Alexa.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Have you noticed how none of these videos ever show the controls or displays in action? If I cannot do a test drive yet, I would at least like to see how things are going to work inside the truck (basic displays, audio, climate control, navigation, charging, etc.). Even on the outside how about a demo video of opening the frunk, gear tunnel and tailgate, or operating the powered tonneau cover, with and without the help of Alexa.
It'd be nice if Rivian let someone like Doug Demuro play with the car and do a YouTube video. GM did it with the Hummer EV.

There are plenty of "quirks and features" for Doug to orgasm over. I can see it now... THIS is the Rivian R1T.

·
Registered
88 Posts
People seem to freak out when anything changes, so they're avoiding committing to anything. It is a very intentional play, frustrating though it may be for the fan community, that they have not released any sort of walkthrough content. They're still reserving the right to tweak (minor) things based on the real world use testing they're doing now. Once they've truly finalized the build, they'll start building the experience center demo models -- and that's the stage when I'd expect Rivian to get the vehicles in the hands of the media. That will probably all happen shortly before early pre-order holders are asked to commit to their orders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts