Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here measured their garage and compared those numbers to R1T & R1S dimensions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a Dodge Ram 2500 and I had to 'kiss' the front wall with the bumper and get within inches of the side wall.
The R1T will fit with a little more to spare. I am glad they switched charge port to Driver side otherwise I would SOL.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Dodge Ram 2500 and I had to 'kiss' the front wall with the bumper and get within inches of the side wall.
The R1T will fit with a little more to spare. I am glad they switched charge port to Driver side otherwise I would SOL.
x2 on Rivian positioning the charge port door on the front driver side. Every other EV I like has it like that and makes the most sense to me. Audi E-Tron, Porsche Taycan, Jaguar I-Pace and many more. Its almost an industry standard at this point. Tesla is one of the only exceptions and I don't like what they did.

What will space be like for you with a charging setup installed?

·
Registered
123 Posts
What will space be like for you with a charging setup installed?
It will be interesting and I am not going to worry about it until I have the truck to better see how things fit.
When the vehicle is parked in garage, the door to the house is on the same wall as the bumper would 'kiss' on the driver's side. So, no room for a charger on that wall unless I put it super high.
Only real option I have is to put it on the other side of the door to house and then just deal with the cord. Since I would have to step over it to get in the truck, I am pretty guaranteed to not forget to unplug the cord. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a long bed Tacoma and it doesn't fit. The R1T fits by 2 inches. A little scary close, but really excited to finally park in the garage again. The driver side plug will be perfect as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I measured my garage and yes it will fit. Surprisingly the SUV is shorter than the truck which surprised me.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
111 Posts
Funny I just measured this out yesterday. Shouldn't be a problem for my R1S but I do feel like my garage is deeper than average.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
182 Posts
The R1S I pre-ordered does fit. However, it is gonna be tight with my I3 and zero Sr/F. My plan is to keep the I3 in the driveway :(

PS: That is one of my wife's biggest point in NOT getting the R1S. She wants a Minivan so we have the sliding doors. The car can fit, but try to open the door and fit a car seat with another car next to you! I know I will hear about this for years to come :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I DID A DIMENSIONAL COMPARISON BETWEEN THE R1T AND MY '14 F-150. THE HEIGHT AND WIDTHS ARE VIRTUALLY THE SAME. THE R1T IS ABOUT 13" SHORTER THAN MY F-150. THE F-150 IS A TIGHT FIT IN THE GARAGE WITH JUST ENOUGH ROOM TO WALK AROUND THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK TO GET TO THE MAN DOOR. THE R1T WILL GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE ROOM TO NAVIGATE BUT THE CHARGER WILL LIKELY CONSUME SOME OF THAT SPACE. SHOULD BE ALL GOOD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ll have to move my utility sink in order for the R1T to fit in the 2 car side of my garage. I haven’t measured the 1 car side because it is full of my shop stuff and other storage. It will be a lot of work to clear out that side and I’ll need to install an opener for the door.

My garage is disappointingly shallow. The garage in my 1st house was much deeper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Has anyone here measured their garage and compared those numbers to R1T & R1S dimensions?
The R1S is roughly the size of a Lexus RX or about 18" longer than a Land Rover Discovery. Big, but not massive. My wife bought a Hyundai Veracruz (no longer available) that literally just fit into our garage (maybe 1-1/2" clearance to the garage door). We had to park very precisely and had to pull out of the garage to open/close the rear hatch. She swapped it out for a Genesis less than a year later (and went back to an SUV about 2 years after that).

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
Wow, I’m getting a real education on garage sizes here! I’ve always felt that 20’ was sort of the “minimum” garage depth, and usually wanted mine to be 22’ or more to create extra walk around clearance on both ends. The R1T is just barely over 18’. Seems crazy to me that given all the trucks and SUV’s on the road that builders would put in anything under 20’, but apparently they do. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: oak202

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I’m getting a real education on garage sizes here! I’ve always felt that 20’ was sort of the “minimum” garage depth, and usually wanted mine to be 22’ or more to create extra walk around clearance on both ends. The R1T is just barely over 18’. Seems crazy to me that given all the trucks and SUV’s on the road that builders would put in anything under 20’, but apparently they do. 🤷‍♂️
Its often an issue with post WW2 homes I find. In the 80-90's they started to get gradually bigger.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am fortunate that when I built my house in 2000, I owned a Suburban. My garage is 25 feet deep and 45 feet wide, with two 18 foot doors. More recently I added an RV garage for my boat it is 32x52 and I can park the boat and my quad cab GMC Sierra all hitched up and close the door. So I think I am all set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I wish I were in the position AZBILL is in, our home was built in ‘96 and has a three car garage the single is long enough to fit our 4Runner with some stuff on the front wall so moving the bikes and paint cans etc could fit a R1S. The double car side is deeper but have a couple storage racks that will have to go if I want to stay with my reserved R1T. But it will fit barely.

So now the big choice stay with the R1T or go R1S?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Our garage exterior footprint is 20'x20', 2x6 framing, finished (attached, so drywalled). I think the R1T might just fit tip to tail if we give up all storage along the rear wall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our garage exterior footprint is 20'x20', 2x6 framing, finished (attached, so drywalled). I think the R1T might just fit tip to tail if we give up all storage along the rear wall.
Same as mine. I had the house built in 1996. I should have paid better attention to the garage depth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Moving from the north where garages are paramount, to the south where not so much, selling real estate showed me just how small garages could be. Building our house in 2000 ours is 28 x 40, embarrassing larger than my sister’s whole house. No problem fitting either the T or S after moving some stuff. Anyone know someone who would like to buy a 1986 Buick Riviera? It needs to go, cheap. Under 40k actual miles.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Moving from the north where garages are paramount, to the south where not so much, selling real estate showed me just how small garages could be. Building our house in 2000 ours is 28 x 40, embarrassing larger than my sister’s whole house. No problem fitting either the T or S after moving some stuff. Anyone know someone who would like to buy a 1986 Buick Riviera? It needs to go, cheap. Under 40k actual miles.
That has me wondering how many R1T and R1S owners will be parking on their driveway or the street in some cases. At least there's little downside. Yeah someone might steal the power you have setup to charge your car but the loss is a few dollars at max.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts