Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we know if Rivian is going to allow people to test drive the R1T or R1S before purchasing? Have they revealed how that's going to work?

I'm not saying that I'm going to dislike driving the R1T or anything but I'd like to get a feel for what it's going to be like.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A question that has been asked and wondered about for over a year now. Last summer Rivian said they plan on putting together a Test Drive Tour but nothing announced yet. Since then they've updated their website FAQs to include the following (and the Rivian responses in person and via social media hasn't changed):

Do you offer test drives?

Not yet, but we can’t wait to get you behind the wheel. We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020.

To some degree I guess we all you can answer this question. Don't purchase until you're able to test drive one. I know I will not be purchasing until I can take it for a test drive even if it means delaying converting my pre-order into an actual order or whatever the next step that requires an additional financial and/or signed commitment to purchase their EV. This is part of the reason why I may go the subscription route (vs purchase or lease) but again no real details yet on how they plan on structuring subscription models. As usual, more questions than answers at this point. It would seem Rivian won't (or can't) release this info until the configurator comes online which won't be until late summer / early 3Q now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A question that has been asked and wondered about for over a year now. Last summer Rivian said they plan on putting together a Test Drive Tour but nothing announced yet. Since then they've updated their website FAQs to include the following (and the Rivian responses in person and via social media hasn't changed):

Do you offer test drives?

Not yet, but we can’t wait to get you behind the wheel. We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020.

To some degree I guess we all you can answer this question. Don't purchase until you're able to test drive one. I know I will not be purchasing until I can take it for a test drive even if it means delaying converting my pre-order into an actual order or whatever the next step that requires an additional financial and/or signed commitment to purchase their EV. This is part of the reason why I may go the subscription route (vs purchase or lease) but again no real details yet on how they plan on structuring subscription models. As usual, more questions than answers at this point. It would seem Rivian won't (or can't) release this info until the configurator comes online which won't be until late summer / early 3Q now.
It's good to see that Rivian has at least acknowledged this rather than keeping us in the dark. A subscription model would be something I'd consider as an alternative to buying depending on how it's structured.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's good to see that Rivian has at least acknowledged this rather than keeping us in the dark.
I'd say the room is still pretty dark IMO. There are more and more EVs becoming available that is attracting people's attention. As is I have a pre-order with another manufacturer that has released way more information about their EV, colors, options, purchase process, etc. If Rivian is not careful they could (and probably will) lose a significant number of their pre-orders to other manufacturer. Granted, I'm sure Rivian is expecting a certain percentage of pre-orders to be canceled, but my concern, as should Rivian, will it be more than anticipated thus affecting cash flow and sustainability of the company.

·
Registered
446 Posts
According to Rivian, we'll hear about their test drive program "closer to the start of production". So that likely means we won't hear anything until next year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
According to Rivian, we'll hear about their test drive program "closer to the start of production". So that likely means we won't hear anything until next year.

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how this differs from what Rivian has had on their website as an FAQ with the exception of them obviously needing to update the year to now be 2021 due to the pandemic and temporary shutdown.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how this differs from what Rivian has had on their website as an FAQ with the exception of them obviously needing to update the year to now be 2021 due to the pandemic and temporary shutdown.
It's not much but yes, the main difference seems to be the date change. Interesting enough, Rivian hasn't changed it yet on their FAQ page.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not much but yes, the main difference seems to be the date change. Interesting enough, Rivian hasn't changed it yet on their FAQ page.
Rivian publicly announced nearly TWO months ago that production launch had been pushed to 2021. Rivian's FAQ indicates "offering test drives closer to <their> launch," ergo, one should not expect test drives until 2021. So I fail to see the significance that Rivian just hasn't gotten around to updating the test drive FAQ yet to indicate 2021.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts