Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I off road fairly hard and only used my winch twice I can think of in the last 15 years. Both times were in my G wagon (my LX’s crawl control has saved me from a few places I almost winched) and I was very thankful I had it. Winches will probably get more use then you think with the Rivian due to the fact it is fairly heavy and you can’t put appropriate off road tires on it, well without swapping out for smaller brakes to fit smaller rims.

Heavy truck with big rims and short side walls (so can’t appropriately air down) will equal stuck more often in sand and mud then other comparable rigs. Also higher risk for pinch flats.

If I was to takea rivian off-roading in sand I’d want a winch and a land anchor (like a WASP).

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I have a winch on my 4Runner. Have never needed to use it for self-recovery, but it gives me peace of mind when alone on backroads with sketchy cell service. I’ve used it 5-6 times pulling other people out of ditches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From Rivian today:

Thanks for reaching out to us, and I sincerely apologize for the delayed response to your email. With the recent updates we emailed to our community, the Rivian Customer Engagement Center has been working around the clock to address our community's questions, concerns, and feedback.

To assist with streamlining our production lines, we've decided not to offer any Rivian-branded built-in winch or off-road bumper options at this time. However, we pass feedback like yours and others from our community to the appropriate teams. We love hearing how our community plans to use the vehicles and what features and options everyone is interested in. This helps us continuously improve and develop new features for the vehicles to further enhance the experience we provide.

As part of our commitment to being transparent with our community, we will communicate with you frequently to keep you updated. You're more than welcome to reach out to us again anytime. Thanks again, and have a great rest of your week!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On March 4th CS told me "Winch and Off-Road Bumper options are coming this year! These options will be available to Rivian owners, even after delivery." I wonder if they changed their plans, or more likely, that different CS have different info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On March 4th CS told me "Winch and Off-Road Bumper options are coming this year! These options will be available to Rivian owners, even after delivery." I wonder if they changed their plans, or more likely, that different CS have different info.
Funny, My Guide said no winch...no bumper and not even sure they'll do the Camp Kitchen last week.
DirtyB

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
I asked my guide today “is the R1T winch ready, and if so, are there any instructions on how to install and wire up a winch?” Her response was “As far as I know, a winch will be added to the Configurator in the future and will be able to retrofit to existing R1T.” It didn’t directly answer my question, but it sounds like the truck will likely have a decent mount point for a winch. Wiring it might not be so simple though since the 12v battery may not have sufficient juice to power a winch since it’s likely sized just for running the electronics vs. cold cranking an engine. So hopefully they’ve already put in a 12v DC to DC converter from the main pack and have a wiring harness or stub somewhere accessible to tap into.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are 2 12V batteries in the R1T should be fine for a winch.
Are they both full size/capacity like >700a? Most trucks need a 2nd battery to run a large winch and the rivian is not a featherweight. Also many cars/trucks with 2 batteries one is small 12 ah- 220a like the 2nd battery on my MB e class to run the brake booster in case of electrical failure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not sure but you are running a winch... once... if you were running a plow up and down it might be an issue. Or if you plan on running a recovery business winching 20 trucks a day might be a problem.

You can run a winch off a small battery you might have to go slower if it gets low, as long as it's strong enough overall. I've run winches on some old crappy batteries in a trailer with no charge for 6 months.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The more I think about it (as long as the BMS isn’t crap) there is no reason you would need a 2nd 12v battery. I will add that 1st gen Model S (like the one I had) were bad for not keeping the 12v charged from the main battery and if the 12v died the car wouldn’t start.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are they both full size/capacity like >700a? Most trucks need a 2nd battery to run a large winch and the rivian is not a featherweight. Also many cars/trucks with 2 batteries one is small 12 ah- 220a like the 2nd battery on my MB e class to run the brake booster in case of electrical failure.
This is a recent photo of one of the two matching 12v batts in the R1T.. looks like a deep cycle battery.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Font Audio equipment

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
This is a recent photo of one of the two matching 12v batts in the R1T.. looks like a deep cycle battery.

View attachment 5654
Some quick Googling indicates a 10,000 lb winch can draw 400+ amps. That battery might not be enough.

This is the amp draw curve on the 10k Smittybilt I have on my 4Runner…
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts