Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you search the forum before posting?
I think what the OP may have meant is has there been any update on the availability of a winch. Most reports of info provided by Guides (cited above) were from prior to start of delivery. I'm rather interested in this as well given that winch use is fairly common in off road situations I've encountered as well as in situations around the house (clearing downed trees from the driveway after a storm for example).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can say there is a heck of a lot of code in the app related to winch controls - looks like it will be controllable from the app, even if you do not have internet access where you are.

Font Screenshot Electric blue Parallel Rectangle

Here are some of the bluetooth actions:
Code:
BLE_WINCH_IN
BLE_WINCH_CANCEL
BLE_WINCH_FREE_SPOOL
BLE_CLOSE_FRUNK
BLE_OPEN_TONNEAU_COVER
BLE_RELEASE_RIGHT_SIDE_BIN
BLE_CABIN_PRECONDITION_SET_TEMPERATURE
BLE_LOCK_ALL_CLOSURES_FEEDBACK
BLE_PAUSE_TONNEAU_COVER
BLE_PANIC_OFF
BLE_PAUSE_LIFTGATE
BLE_HONK_AND_FLASH_LIGHTS
BLE_CLOSE_LIFTGATE
BLE_ACTIVE_ENTRY_SERVICE_UUID
BLE_UNLOCK_ALL_CLOSURES
BLE_PANIC_ON
BLE_VEHICLE_CABIN_PRECONDITION_ENABLE
BLE_VEHICLE_CABIN_PRECONDITION_DISABLE
BLE_VEHICLE_STATUS_UUID
BLE_OPEN_FRUNK
BLE_OPEN_ALL_WINDOWS
BLE_OTA_INSTALL_NOW_ACKNOWLEDGE
BLE_CLOSE_ALL_WINDOWS
BLE_DISABLE_GEAR_GUARD
BLE_RELEASE_LEFT_SIDE_BIN
BLE_CLOSE_TONNEAU_COVER
BLE_UNLOCK_USER_PREFERENCES_AND_DISABLE_ALARM
BLE_PAUSE_FRUNK

·
Registered
935 Posts
I am disappointed that there are no rear recovery points and only on the front. They got so many things right, but missed a few for real off-roaders.
I guess for super easy rear recovery (and since the towing is rated for up to 11K) you could initially try a straight-pull direct from the hitch (if you have a hitch for the receiver).

The owners manual advises to initiate recovery from the lower control arms though (this looks like front recovery):

Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Diagram

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
34 Posts
I can say there is a heck of a lot of code in the app related to winch controls - looks like it will be controllable from the app, even if you do not have internet access where you are.

View attachment 4876

Here are some of the bluetooth actions:
Code:
BLE_WINCH_IN
BLE_WINCH_CANCEL
BLE_WINCH_FREE_SPOOL
Thanks.
Presumably there will still be rugged, waterproof remote with a radio connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spoke with a Rivian rep who said that they do not currently offer any winch options for the R1T—and do not recommend having a third party add one.

This is a pretty basic requirement for serious work trucks and offroading. It makes me think this is more of a lifestyle vehicle than a work truck.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I spoke with a Rivian rep who said that they do not currently offer any winch options for the R1T—and do not recommend having a third party add one.

This is a pretty basic requirement for serious work trucks and offroading. It makes me think this is more of a lifestyle vehicle than a work truck.
There's been some solid evidence that Rivian is developing an official winch. We've seen photos of them testing some winches, and someone decompiled the assets for the Rivian Android app and found evidence of winch control functionality.

Don't be surprised if this becomes an official accessory, at some point. But it wasn't a priority for launch, which is why we haven't seen it for sale, yet.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who ever said it was supposed to be a "serious work truck" ? Not Rivian ... This has always been marketed as an "Adventure vehicle".
Even during an adventure, you're screwed if you can't get unstuck. Doesn't make sense not to accommodate a winch onboard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love how “rock crawler” types think they are the ONLY form of off-road or adventure. It never fails.
Not a rock crawler. I’m the owner (and manager) of a large property with a lot of varied, and often difficult, terrain. This includes steep inclines, stream crossings, muddy swamp edges, etc. I want an electric truck which can handle all that, and which gives me peace of mind that I am not going to get stuck... whether I’m headed out just for a picnic with guests or on my own to clear a giant downed tree blocking a path.

Not having a winch option is just lame. Makes me think the main target market is 30somethings who want to feel like they are having a rugged wilderness adventure but really just want to go up a couple small hills a few hundred yards from their Air B&B rental and make S’mores.

I hope Rivian adds a winch option soon, it’s ultra basic.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Not a rock crawler. I’m the owner (and manager) of a large property with a lot of varied, and often difficult, terrain. This includes steep inclines, stream crossings, muddy swamp edges, etc. I want an electric truck which can handle all that, and which gives me peace of mind that I am not going to get stuck... whether I’m headed out just for a picnic with guests or on my own to clear a giant downed tree blocking a path.

Not having a winch option is just lame. Makes me think the main target market is 30somethings who want to feel like they are having a rugged wilderness adventure but really just want to go up a couple small hills a few hundred yards from their Air B&B rental and make S’mores.

I hope Rivian adds a winch option soon, it’s ultra basic.
Does any manufacturer include a factory winch? I don't recall seeing Ford/GM/Ram doing so. Does anyone make a "real truck" in your eyes? Or does nothing live up to your machismo?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I spoke with a Rivian rep who said
It is faulty reasoning on your part to ignore all the information presented in this thread and other related threads, then jump to a conclusion based on what some anonymous customer service representative told you. There is ample evidence that Rivian has planned and prepared for a winch, ranging from official written press releases to existing mount points on the front bumper, existing but unused winch integration in the software, existing patents for a front bumper with an integrated fairlead, mules that have been spotted with integrated winches, statements from other customer service representatives that the winch option will be available later this year as an add-on, etc. etc. The customer service representatives are well-meaning for the most part but clearly don't have access to a lot of the information they need. They are frequently giving out information that is clearly wrong, and you should take that into account before jumping to a conclusion based on only one statement from one representative. You need to look at the whole picture, part of which is in this thread, but you seem to have overlooked that.

Rivian does not currently offer a winch option, but it's also clear that they intend to. It's an extremely small use-case though, and clearly they have prioritized things that are more relevant to their user base. And obviously Rivian isn't going to recommend a third party winch as "compatible" when they haven't evaluated or tested any of those winches (and why should they?). Right now, if you want to install a winch you probably can do it, but you're on your own.

Let's face it, ALL vehicles sold these days are "lifestyle vehicles" as you so disparagingly call them. Even, perhaps ESPECIALLY, Jeeps with winches on them - the vast majority of those are for show and never use the winch for self recovery or any other "serious" work (in fact, I would bet the majority don't even carry straps or shackles to go with that winch). In my neighborhood (this is not an exaggeration), all the teenage girls get Jeeps for their 16th birthday. All the teenage boys get Raptors or similar pickups. Clearly then by your reasoning these are simply lifestyle vehicles, but the way any vehicle is actually used is a pretty poor indication of its capability.

Just because Rivian doesn't fit your notion of what a "serious work truck" should be doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle. All evidence says the opposite - it's a fantastic vehicle that has never pretended to be a "serious work truck" but can, nevertheless, perform serious work. I've been off-roading for 30 years and have gotten stuck many times, but have never needed a winch - some straps and a power puller let me self recover as well as drag logs and the like. Even you should recognize that the people who absolutely NEED a winch are a small minority of off roaders and an even smaller minority of pickup owners. Rivian has built a brand new vehicle from the ground up, and IMO has made the sensible decision to build in support for a winch then offer it as an option later after more important things are taken care of. Buy something else if you don't like it.

You seem to think that the Rivian is required to be all things to all people. It's not. It does an excellent job of doing what it was intended to do, and it will be getting even better in the years to come.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would also further argue that anyone who buys a performance car, never uses it on the race track or tests it to its maximum lateral G acceleration. Having tested vehicles at GM on two different GM Proving Grounds, I can assure you that most people have NO CLUE what an "average" vehicle is capable of. Nor do they have the skills to drive it in such a manner. Have you ever tried to perform a 0.9g deceleration stop in a Cruze? How about a J hook maneuver in a maximum laden full size truck? Ever try to perform a parking brake hill hold on a 30% grade? All of these standard tests would be enough to make the average Joe lose their lunch or pee their pants in the test vehicle. In my line of work, just another day at the office.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
34 Posts
It is faulty reasoning on your part to ignore all the information presented in this thread and other related threads, then jump to a conclusion based on what some anonymous customer service representative told you. There is ample evidence that Rivian has planned and prepared for a winch, ranging from official written press releases to existing mount points on the front bumper, existing but unused winch integration in the software, existing patents for a front bumper with an integrated fairlead, mules that have been spotted with integrated winches, statements from other customer service representatives that the winch option will be available later this year as an add-on, etc. etc. The customer service representatives are well-meaning for the most part but clearly don't have access to a lot of the information they need. They are frequently giving out information that is clearly wrong, and you should take that into account before jumping to a conclusion based on only one statement from one representative. You need to look at the whole picture, part of which is in this thread, but you seem to have overlooked that.

Rivian does not currently offer a winch option, but it's also clear that they intend to. It's an extremely small use-case though, and clearly they have prioritized things that are more relevant to their user base. And obviously Rivian isn't going to recommend a third party winch as "compatible" when they haven't evaluated or tested any of those winches (and why should they?). Right now, if you want to install a winch you probably can do it, but you're on your own.

Let's face it, ALL vehicles sold these days are "lifestyle vehicles" as you so disparagingly call them. Even, perhaps ESPECIALLY, Jeeps with winches on them - the vast majority of those are for show and never use the winch for self recovery or any other "serious" work (in fact, I would bet the majority don't even carry straps or shackles to go with that winch). In my neighborhood (this is not an exaggeration), all the teenage girls get Jeeps for their 16th birthday. All the teenage boys get Raptors or similar pickups. Clearly then by your reasoning these are simply lifestyle vehicles, but the way any vehicle is actually used is a pretty poor indication of its capability.

Just because Rivian doesn't fit your notion of what a "serious work truck" should be doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle. All evidence says the opposite - it's a fantastic vehicle that has never pretended to be a "serious work truck" but can, nevertheless, perform serious work. I've been off-roading for 30 years and have gotten stuck many times, but have never needed a winch - some straps and a power puller let me self recover as well as drag logs and the like. Even you should recognize that the people who absolutely NEED a winch are a small minority of off roaders and an even smaller minority of pickup owners. Rivian has built a brand new vehicle from the ground up, and IMO has made the sensible decision to build in support for a winch then offer it as an option later after more important things are taken care of. Buy something else if you don't like it.

You seem to think that the Rivian is required to be all things to all people. It's not. It does an excellent job of doing what it was intended to do, and it will be getting even better in the years to come.
It's faulty reasoning to take what a Rivian Guide has written and take it as factual?

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's faulty reasoning to take what a Rivian Guide has written and take it as factual?
That's clearly not what I said. And you're also introducing false information by attributing this to a "guide" (it was a customer service representative - the poster in #8 does not have a guide) and characterizing it as a written communication (it was verbal).

What I said is that selectively choosing one "fact" and saying that is the only "fact" that matters despite that "fact" being contradicted by dozens of other "facts" - many from more-reliable sources - is known as "cherry-picking" and is either faulty reasoning or is a willful disregard for evidence that contradicts one's preconceived notions.

And while I will take it as a "fact" that the customer service representative said those things described in #8, those things contradict a mass of other more-reliable sources and should be evaluated accordingly.

Yes, you have to evaluate what a customer service representative tells you in context of all the other available information. They are frequently wrong. Not lying, just wrong. One only has to read these forums to see how much wrong information they give out. My personal experience from a few weeks ago was, when I asked about when the Camp Kitchen would be available, the CS rep told me (on chat) that "the Camp Kitchen is usually shipped a few weeks after delivery of the vehicle". When I pointed out that NO ONE has received a Camp Kitchen yet, the CS rep was totally unaware of that ("Yes, we have delivered the Camp Kitchen") and repeated (three more times) the script that "all accessories would be delivered within a few weeks". If I were to believe this one customer service representative that the Camp Kitchen is currently being shipped, and to ignore all the evidence otherwise, then I too would be guilty of faulty reasoning.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
34 Posts
That's clearly not what I said. And you're also introducing false information by attributing this to a "guide" (it was a customer service representative - the poster in #8 does not have a guide) and characterizing it as a written communication (it was verbal).

What I said is that selectively choosing one "fact" and saying that is the only "fact" that matters despite that "fact" being contradicted by dozens of other "facts" - many from more-reliable sources - is known as "cherry-picking" and is either faulty reasoning or is a willful disregard for evidence that contradicts one's preconceived notions.

And while I will take it as a "fact" that the customer service representative said those things described in #8, those things contradict a mass of other more-reliable sources and should be evaluated accordingly.

Yes, you have to evaluate what a customer service representative tells you in context of all the other available information. They are frequently wrong. Not lying, just wrong. One only has to read these forums to see how much wrong information they give out. My personal experience from a few weeks ago was, when I asked about when the Camp Kitchen would be available, the CS rep told me (on chat) that "the Camp Kitchen is usually shipped a few weeks after delivery of the vehicle". When I pointed out that NO ONE has received a Camp Kitchen yet, the CS rep was totally unaware of that ("Yes, we have delivered the Camp Kitchen") and repeated (three more times) the script that "all accessories would be delivered within a few weeks". If I were to believe this one customer service representative that the Camp Kitchen is currently being shipped, and to ignore all the evidence otherwise, then I too would be guilty of faulty reasoning.
You did write "faulty reasoning." Personally, I find it faulty to take any information posted to enthusiast forums as factual until supported by something more than "my daughter's boyfriend's football coach overhead a text message…" : )

Rectangle Font Number Software Screenshot

Here's the information I received:
Font Material property Rectangle Logo Brand

1 - 20 of 22 Posts