Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
if your serious about it dont get the one from rivian buy a roofnest or ikamper, we have a roofnest on our palisade which will be moved over to the rivian just did some camping down into the 20 degrees and had no issues, the one that yakima makes will be very loud and not adaptive for colder temps.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not to mention, much more work to set up or take down - particularly in cold temps or at night, or if you want to move around during the day. With a hardshell, you can also park at an angle with the shell facing INTO the wind so the tent portion is in the lee, which will provide much better protection than any soft top. That IKamper design is interesting from a square footage perspective one opened. GFC stuff is really nice and their RTT allows for rooftop attachments (ski boxes solar panels etc)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! After looking at it quite a bit over the last couple days, I really like the roofnest sparrow eye and the iKamper skycamp mini (seems that the skycamp 2.0 would overhang the R1T bed a little bit, not sure how much of an issue that would be). The sparrow eye looks nice because they claim you can store bulkier bedding on there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you! After looking at it quite a bit over the last couple days, I really like the roofnest sparrow eye and the iKamper skycamp mini (seems that the skycamp 2.0 would overhang the R1T bed a little bit, not sure how much of an issue that would be). The sparrow eye looks nice because they claim you can store bulkier bedding on there.
it wouldn't be an issue these things have minimum mounting distances and they just sit on the mounts so you can have it over hand without issue. what we havnt found out yet is what is rivians mounting distance between front and rear rails, our rofonest we need 30 inches minimum which is usually the standard so hopefully rivian took this into consideration.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have an iKamper Mini. It is pretty awesome, I’ve used it down in to the teens (F) and in 40-50mph winds. Overall RTTs are not for everyone. I wouldn’t own one if I lived in an area that didn’t have a ton of predictors (I’m in AK). Had a tepui prior to this, it was a huge PITA compared to the iKamper. In general I go for the bigger the better but with the RTT especially if you are worried about keeping it warm I prefer smallest you can deal with. Me (5’8” 165lbs) and both kids (5’10” 145 lbs, 5’2” 115 lbs) can sleep just comfy in the 2 person mini. Above the Arctic circle this Aug
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Car

·
Banned
473 Posts
Does anybody have any information on winter camping with the Rivian R1T? Is the Yakima tent rated for 4 seasons? What about the snow?
Hahahah snow. Hahahah.

winter camping for me Is… drive The RT1 to the Marriot. Park in front and charge for free. Relax in the bar after a Nice dinner. Grab a few cocktails in the bar while watching the game on TV, then take a quick look at the RT1 in thr parking lot, and head off to bed. That’s winter camping. Lol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hahahah snow. Hahahah.

winter camping for me Is… drive The RT1 to the Marriot. Park in front and charge for free. Relax in the bar after a Nice dinner. Grab a few cocktails in the bar while watching the game on TV, then take a quick look at the RT1 in thr parking lot, and head off to bed. That’s winter camping. Lol.
Then why do you want a truck? It will be less efficient and worse then any of the current Tesla’s if this is your intended use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.