Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Don’t have a Rivian yet but on my 9th winter in Alaska with 2 different teslas (S then 3).

Regen low/off is a must, when I put my winter tires on in early October I switch regen to low and acceleration to chill and leave it that way until I switch back to all seasons usually mid May.

Winter and range. EVs energy usage (Wh/mi be mpg) are more effected by external forces: headwind, rain, snow,…. And they don’t have the wasted heat of an ICE so must use their propulsion energy stores to heat the cabin. My experiences. With my ICEs vs EVs the EVs never feel nice and warm I side, probably because the ICEs have a massive high mass block of heated steel…. I keep the heat set to 62F and don’t go higher then 65F. My wife will set it at 67-70F and it has a huge impact on range. Short trips, traffic, slower speeds get much less efficient in the cold due to the time with the heat running. My LR model 3 is rated to 250 Wh/mi, Around town in the summer I easily get 225 Wh/mi, winter clear day, temps in the teens F I get more like 340-350wh/mi. Longer trips, on a clear day dry roads temps in the teens running 55mph heat set to 62F I’ll get 275 Wh/mi. For temperature Overall I don’t notice what I could consider a big drop in effect until it gets to the single digits F, in the -20’sF I’m lucky to get half.

snow, fresh loose snow impacts range at least as much as cold temps. We had a day late September this fall, 4” of high moisture snow, my range was cut by half. Worst day of the year temps in the single digits, 6-12+” of fresh loose snow I easily see a 60-70% reduction in range. I have a dozen or so days a winter when I use ~65-70% of my battery to go my typical ~45-50 mile day so a 60-70% range reduction.
I drive very conservative in the winter (rarely get >55mph)and set the heat fairly low but All that said after data from 8 full winters my average “winter” that is October to May, range reduction is 30%. Given the rivian is somewhat less efficient (higher “rated” Wh/mi) then my S or 3 I would expect the Rivian to take a little less of a hit, probably more like 25-30% given the similar conditions and habits as I have.

· Registered
522 Posts
Yes, if your main reason for wanting the 20" AT tires is winter traction you will be better off with real "3 peak mountain snowflake" rated dedicated winter tires.
Just a heads up. 3 peak does not equal dedicated winter tire. For example the KO2’s I run was my summer tire are 3PMS rated and they suck on winter roads.

per tire rack.https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Font Number

1 - 2 of 2 Posts