Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
75 Posts
I was driving home from a long road trip and hit winter conditions for the first time: blowing snow, icy roads, and freezing temperatures. Here are my observations.

1) the truck reported the front radar was obscured (covered in ice)

2) when the front camera iced over I could no longer use cruise control (wish Rivian would allow a traditional cruise control when adaptive is not available)

3) stopped to charge during the trip and the charge port would not open via touch. I had to open it using the on-screen control.

4) significant range reduction in the cold. Dropped from 2.4 miles per kwh to 1.6, this requiring more charging stops on a long trip.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues with winter weather?
Hi
1) same. radar error, no cruise, it cleared itself when I got out of the weather
2) cameras all got dirty with road slush … crazy to build an off-road vehicle in 2018 and not have cameras washers, just a pathetic lack of attention to detail
3) I've used the charge port by hand in freezing conditions, covered in snow overnight, no problem
4) definitely significant range reduction. I was "tricking" the R1T into warming itself by charging for 1-2 hours prior to driving and having the cabin heat on.

Other issues were mainly poor traction from the 20 inch tires and poor performance of the stability and traction control software.
The wipers come on even with the driver's door open, sending a windshield full of snow into the cabin … another pathetic failure in the detail design effort.
Wipers froze solid, so those need to be replaced with silicone 'winter' blades, but they didn't stick to the windshield and the fluid didn't free. I'll still replace it with -32ºF washer fluid as it runs down.
Tailgate froze shut, but easy enough to break free
The tunnel doors don't open enough for gloved fingers there's no apparent way melting snow is meant to drain out of the tunnel (need to investigate drainage.)
The door handles didn't freeze, though they did need to be bumped with a gloved hand to break off the ice.
The snow over the window forms a break above the door, so it's easy to clean off before it drops into the car
Remember to turn off "power frunk" so the hood isn't attempting to lift a lot of snow (and dump it all into the frunk.)

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
75 Posts
I am scheduled for delivery this weekend. The only mention of snow driving is drift mode. What is the recommended setting for driving in snow. Probably plowed roads with snow patches they maybe a ling steep unplowed driveway. Thanks
For the driveway, I use off-road->rock-crawl and reduced regen.
I'd suggest buying autosocks.
For the snow driving, I use all-terrain and make sure the tires are up to 48 psi (cold weather had the tires on mine drop to 40 psi.)

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
75 Posts
Thanks. Good advice. I just found out that my insurance broker dated my insurance card to end on November 17, 2022 instead of 2023 and of course they’re closed for the long weekend so I am not getting the car Saturday much to my great great disappointment.
That's a rough deal with the insurer. I can understand the broker being out of office, but surely the insurer has online support. If not, I'd suggest getting any online coverage just to have the piece of paper to satisfy the purchase process. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts