Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Rivian needs to offer a set of wheels and tires for Winter weather as an option
You could just put on Xices or Blizzaks for Winter. Get an additional set of wheels from Rivian if you want the full Winter set. I just have Les Schwab change and store the tires from Winter to Summer. I run the Xices down after two Winters, they are a good all around tire. Plan to do the same with the Rivian.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
They are an electric vehicle company first and foremost, not an auto parts store. With current supply chain issues, they need to ensure they have 4 wheels and tires for all of the trucks they are trying to ship before they start offering 8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are an electric vehicle company first and foremost, not an auto parts store. With current supply chain issues, they need to ensure they have 4 wheels and tires for all of the trucks they are trying to ship before they start offering 8.
Wow....take a pill dude...the supply chain hopefully won't be an excuse forever.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rivian needs to offer a set of wheels and tires for Winter weather as an option. In other words when you buy the truck you buy 2 sets of wheels and 2 sets of tires. The cost needs to be close to actual cost.
I'd say it's kind of 2 different things, the 20" set is severe snow service rated. So right there a winter weathers set is already an option and available for those who have it as a concern.

That said, if you want a full 2nd set its just not doable unless you set out to negotiate and collect spare tires from everyone. It would essentially add up to about $3,200 for the set, which is pricey. I'm sure they'll eventually offer it because at that price, it's a good amount of profit for them. Similar to Tesla, I expect it would be much cheaper to source them from crashed Rivian's than directly from Rivian.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd say it's kind of 2 different things, the 20" set is severe snow service rated. So right there a winter weathers set is already an option and available for those who have it as a concern.

That said, if you want a full 2nd set its just not doable unless you set out to negotiate and collect spare tires from everyone. It would essentially add up to about $3,200 for the set, which is pricey. I'm sure they'll eventually offer it because at that price, it's a good amount of profit for them. Similar to Tesla, I expect it would be much cheaper to source them from crashed Rivian's than directly from Rivian.
ATs are not winter tires, marginal at best and no where close to a dedicated winter tire like Nokian Hakka, Blizzak, or X-Ice. I run 3 peak rated ATs in the SUMMER.

As per the OP. Yes a 2nd set for winter is a great way to go. Looks like rivian is using 5x5.5 which is a common bolt pattern. Ram 1500 and older 5 lug f150. No idea about hub bore and could be a challenge to find some with correct offset which looks like ET48. Probably by this fall could find a set of the 20” take offs.

and Nokian make the best winter tires. #1 winter tire brand here in Alaska. I’ve run them on all our vehicles for ~15 years.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
278 Posts
Why should it be close to cost? They have to store what you are requesting hoping someone buys them. Why not just order a set of winter tires and when the season arrives switch out what you got directly from them. Plenty of people do this with all sorts of vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Rivian needs to offer a set of wheels and tires for Winter weather as an option."

Great Idea..!! Rather than paying Rivian a premium, I would like to purchase 5 plain steel wheels, to mount 5 ALL STUDDED snow tires for winter. Inexpensive Aluminum wheels may be an option. TireRack.com is a great place to start. They stud the tires they sell for a very reasonable price. What is the rim designation for the standard - (included) 21" ROAD", wheels for the R1T configuration...???

·
Registered
413 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts