Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisconsin has started putting up signs notifying EV drivers when they're driving on a route has readily available electric charging stations. This is a pretty good idea to promote EV infrastructure and I hope more states do this as well.

WisDOT INNOVATES: Motorists driving along a 110-mile stretch of southern I-94 between the Wisconsin-Illinois border and Madison began seeing alternative fuel corridor signs in 2020. The signs indicate the route has readily available electric charging stations, part of a national network of corridors that support alternative fuel infrastructure. The signage is key to informing current electric car owners, as well as those considering electric car purchase, of the opportunity to fuel up when needed. Easy access to fuel is critical to expanding electric vehicles from local use to cross-country travel for private and corporate use.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be great if they noted how many miles away the nearest station is to that sign.
Yeah that would be helpful if they did that. My guess is that it would cost more for them to do that for each sign.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yeah that would be helpful if they did that. My guess is that it would cost more for them to do that for each sign.
That's true.
Maybe its more for awareness since EV owners are often tech savvy and will rely more on information found online, apps, etc.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true.
Maybe its more for awareness since EV owners are often tech savvy and will rely more on information found online, apps, etc.
I think that's fair to say for EV drivers. Plus pretty much all new EVs have a feature in the GPS that allows you to find the nearest charger. Let along the info available on phones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think that's fair to say for EV drivers. Plus pretty much all new EVs have a feature in the GPS that allows you to find the nearest charger. Let along the info available on phones.
Yep, These signs were a waste of the taxes I paid. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Kind of like all the signs in SC that say "bridge may ice during cold weather". Wish I'd gotten the contract to supply those.
And that's on the least costly end of the outrageous things they spend money on.
At least we get EV credits.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kind of like all the signs in SC that say "bridge may ice during cold weather". Wish I'd gotten the contract to supply those.
I was going to say hey that is a real thing because I have experienced it, then I figured out the SC part. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Those signs aren't really for EV drivers... They're for ICE drivers to alert them that EVs are viable. Lots of people out there are driving ICE vehicles that don't need to. Lots of people who would be perfectly happy (perhaps more happy) in an EV but refuse to even look at one. The seed needs to be planted, and it will take time for that seed to grow. These signs are seeds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did a quick look at Plugshare and supercharger map. Not much for charging along that corridor. So, not real sure what they are trying to call-out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a quick look at Plugshare and supercharger map. Not much for charging along that corridor. So, not real sure what they are trying to call-out.
Is it a spot they're planning on adding a bunch of chargers to?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure what you're expecting. There seems to be plenty of locations along 94 and well-spaced.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not sure what you're expecting. There seems to be plenty of locations along 94 and well-spaced.
I did not include hotels and such. I was looking for actual L2 charging stations.
I think gas stations are way behind the times because they are not installing 2 or more level 2 stations. Charge a fair price and they could re-coupe some of the money they are loosing by EV not needing their gas.

DANG IT. I was looking at I-90. I-94 does seem to have better coverage. And it looks like some 7-11s have stations.

Actually I am questioning that write up now. I-94 is between Milwaukee and the border not Madison. I-90 is the one between Madison and the border. I am all confused now.
Regardless still seems like a waste of tax payer money. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think gas stations are way behind the times because they are not installing 2 or more level 2 stations. Charge a fair price and they could re-coupe some of the money they are loosing by EV not needing their gas.
EV is still hovering at or below 2% of vehicles on the road. Not strong enough to be felt by gas stations, not yet lucrative enough for investors to jump in in a big way. Saw a youtube about a British company with a contract to provide street-chargers at curbside light poles and street signs (not a lot of homes with garages in central London). Gonna be a while before we start seeing that here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts