Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading that Rivian is now going to focus on Amazon vehicles first, my confidence level at getting a Rivian truck before the end of 2022 has dropped close to Zero. Add that to the fact that I have no clue in line where I'm at and the end of 2023 might be a stretch as well. I could pull off waiting till the end of 2022. Based on Rivian stating deliveries begin in January, 2022, figured I had a chance. But doesn't look that way any more. I need a vehicle sooner, but would make it work if I knew the Rivian was coming within a 2-4 month time frame sometime toward the end of next year. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to wait forever. Most importantly, for an unknown amount of time. I do hope that Rivian will open up and share some more details so reservation holders can at least calculate some general idea, even within a 4-6 month time frame. Then we can at least plan our vehicle needs around it accordingly. Do I lease another car? Extend my current lease? Rent one for a short time? Buy one? The Rivian will be my only daily driver, so don't want to commit too long to another car when my lease is up on my car and up on the hook paying for two cars.

Ford, I made a day 1 reservation. The article link below clearly lays out how many reservations they have, when they received them and how many trucks they plan to produce in what time period. Being that Ford is a VERY experienced company, they will likely be somewhere in the ballpark of their predicted estimates as they've done this.......oh I don't know, maybe 10,000 times over the past 100 years! LOL. Tesla, even with 10 years of experience, still can't figure it out. Point is, at least with the Ford, you can calculate some general estimate. Heck, I can even determine a better estimate for the Hummer reservation I made.

Rivian, seems to be very closely following in Tesla's footprint. Not a bad thing for the success of their company as it's clearly worked for Tesla......for now at least. But, even Tesla provides you with some type of estimate. With Rivian, I can't even venture a guess. Don't want to be unhappy with my daily driver waiting for unknown lengths of time. If its going to be three years, just tell me that and I'll work around it. I just can't deal with the unknown aspect of it as I do need a vehicle for work and daily needs. I'd hate to give up and buy something else, which appears more probable now, only to have Rivian call the next day to place my order. After reading the IPO, maybe it's better to wait anyway and not purchase the first year product of a brand new company still figuring things out? I just hope we get some indication soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading that Rivian is now going to focus on Amazon vehicles first, my confidence level at getting a Rivian truck before the end of 2022 has dropped close to Zero. Add that to the fact that I have no clue in line where I'm at and the end of 2023 might be a stretch as well. I could pull off waiting till the end of 2022. Based on Rivian stating deliveries begin in January, 2022, figured I had a chance. But doesn't look that way any more. I need a vehicle sooner, but would make it work if I knew the Rivian was coming within a 2-4 month time frame sometime toward the end of next year. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to wait forever. Most importantly, for an unknown amount of time. I do hope that Rivian will open up and share some more details so reservation holders can at least calculate some general idea, even within a 4-6 month time frame. Then we can at least plan our vehicle needs around it accordingly. Do I lease another car? Extend my current lease? Rent one for a short time? Buy one? The Rivian will be my only daily driver, so don't want to commit too long to another car when my lease is up on my car and up on the hook paying for two cars.

Ford, I made a day 1 reservation. The article link below clearly lays out how many reservations they have, when they received them and how many trucks they plan to produce in what time period. Being that Ford is a VERY experienced company, they will likely be somewhere in the ballpark of their predicted estimates as they've done this.......oh I don't know, maybe 10,000 times over the past 100 years! LOL. Tesla, even with 10 years of experience, still can't figure it out. Point is, at least with the Ford, you can calculate some general estimate. Heck, I can even determine a better estimate for the Hummer reservation I made.

Rivian, seems to be very closely following in Tesla's footprint. Not a bad thing for the success of their company as it's clearly worked for Tesla......for now at least. But, even Tesla provides you with some type of estimate. With Rivian, I can't even venture a guess. Don't want to be unhappy with my daily driver waiting for unknown lengths of time. If its going to be three years, just tell me that and I'll work around it. I just can't deal with the unknown aspect of it as I do need a vehicle for work and daily needs. I'd hate to give up and buy something else, which appears more probable now, only to have Rivian call the next day to place my order. After reading the IPO, maybe it's better to wait anyway and not purchase the first year product of a brand new company still figuring things out? I just hope we get some indication soon.

Make your life easier and add 1 full calendar year on top of the date of your reservation. Period. Full stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMO Rivian should focus on the delivery while working on other things. People understand the first generation vehicle won’t be perfect but just can’t wait to try it. If Rivian can reach to capacity of 200k in 2023 (IPO) they should be able to produce 50k-100k in 2022. While cybertruck is delayed to 2023 (ramp up production), I suspect Ford lightning is going to will the competition again. I still wish I can get my R1T in 2022, but most likely I will end up with the Lightning. Cybertruck or Rivian will be my next truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I placed a first day reservation for the cybertruck, then an R1T reservation a couple months ago, and just last week an electric F150 lightning reservation. I wish I had done the latter two much earlier. Since they’re all refundable I’m just waiting to see which arrives first. I’m not hopeful that any will happen in 2022 so I’m just planning to keep driving my Tesla model X until one arrives but I would REALLY like a truck. Sold our camper van recently in hopes of making an electric truck both my daily driver and our camping vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I placed a first day reservation for the cybertruck, then an R1T reservation a couple months ago, and just last week an electric F150 lightning reservation. I wish I had done the latter two much earlier. Since they’re all refundable I’m just waiting to see which arrives first. I’m not hopeful that any will happen in 2022 so I’m just planning to keep driving my Tesla model X until one arrives but I would REALLY like a truck. Sold our camper van recently in hopes of making an electric truck both my daily driver and our camping vehicle.
Which truck would you prefer? CT, Lightning or R1T?

My choice hands down is R1T.

·
Registered
3 Posts

The ford is definitely 3rd on the list, the range they're quoting would really barely do it for our needs. I feel like the features of the R1T fit our needs the best, but we have had 3 teslas so far and been really happy with them so I like the better established brand, and especially like their supercharger network and how it is integrated real-time into the navigation.

I'm willing to be an early adopter on Rivian hoping that they can really build that network up too but I'm skeptical that they will be able to do it very quickly but obviously hope they can. I guess I'm indifferent between the Cybertruck and R1T. The added range and supercharging on the Cybertruck (Tri motor) are probably what appeal to me the most there. The R1T seems like a truck thats built more for off road and camping which is what we do a lot of so that appeals to me the most with the Rivian. Size too seems a better fit for us. But we do travel long distances often (4000 miles each of the past 2 summers on west coast camping trips) so ability to charge and integration into the navigation is something I'm anxious to see worked out on the Rivian. Hopefully its as seamless as it is with a Tesla.

·
Registered
4 Posts

This is misinformation. I spoke with somebody Rivian today who clearly indicated that there are two production tracks, one for Amazon and one for the R1T/R1S. She said there will not be any slowdown or production priority changes; that in fact they are in the process of hiring 1500 additional workers to scale up their production. This really makes sense to me, especially with a pending IPO. They want to make all of their customers happy and push out as much product ASAP to bolster their viability in public persona.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

My absolute first choice is the R1T Rivian. But, if it's going to be 3 years out, can't wait that long.

The Rivian best suits my preferences in terms of size, utility, features and being something different.

The Hummer to me, is the best looking option coming. I personally like an "in your face" bold styled vehicle, if done right, and I think they nailed it on that one. The drawbacks of the Hummer are, price and size. That thing is a beast. Not so much in length, but in the width. But, once I see it, if I love it as much as I think I will, I could be inclined to switch from the Rivian, especially if it becomes available and I still have no clue on when I might be able to get the Rivian. The Hummer should certainly be a very capable off-roader as well. The fact that it has driver friendly buttons in the cabin are also appealing for me personally (see below).

My best guess at this point is that I'll end up with the Ford. Then maybe the Rivian on the next three year go around. It is the most practical of the bunch and based on recent news, appears may be first available to the masses. For a while, I was on the fence before finally falling on the Rivian side of the fence. The Ford does have a lot to offer. I love the off-road capabilities of the Rivian, but likely will never use them. I like it more for the off-road look of it than anything else. As well as the ability to put the 22's on it and make it look more like a sport truck. The Ford with no air suspension means that flexibility won't exist with the push of a button. But, its profile should allow for the "sport truck" appearance with a set of custom wheels. Aside from that, its features are pretty loaded up. As far as Range goes, Ford is very conservative in their range estimates. NOTE: the 300 mile range is based on having a payload of 1,000 lbs in the bed. Reports have indicated that it can likely, EASILY, top 400 miles in real world driving with no payload. So, I think we need to reserve judgement on range until "real world" tests have been completed on each. Tesla on the other hand, states the best possible range. I regularly only get about 70% of the rated range in real world driving.

The CyberTruck, I wanted to love it because I love Tesla. Have driven them for 8 years running. Problem is, I can't get over the look of it. Hasn't grown on me and likely won't at this point. It's also HUGE. And, I was looking so forward to the Model S refresh, only to be disappointed with the direction they went. I tried a Model 3 for a few months and hated it. Primarily because everything had to be controlled through the screen. Simple tasks became more complicated. Rivian appears to have gone this route as well and is one concern I have with it. The Model S doubled down on this approach. I've been able to drive it several times and for me personally, absolutely hate the "Yoke" steering wheel. The blinker and horn controls are just ridiculous. As is the shifter being on the center screen. Tesla is designing cars to be Full Self Drive vehicles, despite the fact that we're still years away from drivers not being needed. In the meantime, I still want driver friendly functions. For many, not a big deal. But for someone like me who works out of my vehicle and is in and out multiple times a day, these little things become amplified. The CyberTruck is going along with the same approach as the Model S, with a stupid yoke, no stalks and just won't remotely appeal to me, assuming its along the lines of the new Model S and even worse with no second driver instrument screen. So it's a 100% certainty that it's not an option. In addition, it will be last to market. Likely behind even the GMC trucks and maybe even the Dodge. So at best, it's at least one full vehicle cycle behind (based on new car every three years.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The ford is definitely 3rd on the list, the range they're quoting would really barely do it for our needs. I feel like the features of the R1T fit our needs the best, but we have had 3 teslas so far and been really happy with them so I like the better established brand, and especially like their supercharger network and how it is integrated real-time into the navigation.

I'm willing to be an early adopter on Rivian hoping that they can really build that network up too but I'm skeptical that they will be able to do it very quickly but obviously hope they can. I guess I'm indifferent between the Cybertruck and R1T. The added range and supercharging on the Cybertruck (Tri motor) are probably what appeal to me the most there. The R1T seems like a truck thats built more for off road and camping which is what we do a lot of so that appeals to me the most with the Rivian. Size too seems a better fit for us. But we do travel long distances often (4000 miles each of the past 2 summers on west coast camping trips) so ability to charge and integration into the navigation is something I'm anxious to see worked out on the Rivian. Hopefully its as seamless as it is with a Tesla.
This is misinformation. I spoke with somebody Rivian today who clearly indicated that there are two production tracks, one for Amazon and one for the R1T/R1S. She said there will not be any slowdown or production priority changes; that in fact they are in the process of hiring 1500 additional workers to scale up their production. This really makes sense to me, especially with a pending IPO. They want to make all of their customers happy and push out as much product ASAP to bolster their viability in public persona.
Welcome to the forum @scoobiedubes and @Jimi
At least the first drive events help since for many it will be the first time seeing and definitely driving one.
Did you guys get invited yet?

·
Registered
R1S Pre Order, 2016 BMW X5, 1950 Chevy Truck
3 Posts
Ford completely botched the Bronco reservation/rollout, so I would't use them as any shining example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts